Servicing

Grouch
This post is 2875 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm just confused about what exactly a service is. I thought it was just an oil, fluid, coolant change etc. My bike is fine I've done all the general maintenance myself (with help from my friend) but I want to take it to a Yamaha dealer for a service to get the warranty book stamped to give it a FSH. I've been quoted ridiculous money and I just can't justify paying it. It's more than doubled from the last time and I can't understand why. Even if they change the oil, air filter etc and give it the full works it can't COME TO £180! Am I missing something here?

Since I got the bike through the whole stolen/recovered nightmare I've done some general ware and tear work on it and it's running like a dream. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I fill my own book in and put what I did.

still called a FSH, just not a dealer one.

• Like 2

Speaking of DIY (and not to hijack your thread Grouch), but what do you folks recommend for service manuals? Now that my warranty is up (and I can't seem to trust the shops around here :madflame: ), I'm going to start servicing my bolt myself. I'm looking at a couple of options, but was wondering if you guys (and gals) can steer me in the right direction... should I go with something like the cd-rom or the paper copy? Is one better than the other? Apologies if this has been asked before (Honest, I did search, but couldn't find anything). :bag:

Your far better off spilling coffee on a book in the garage instead of your laptop. Plus you can write all your important info in the manual, mileage of service, filters changed etc. Draw your additions/mods for power sockets and such onto the wiring diagrams.

That cd will get 'put somewhere safe'. And never be seen again, or when you have a problem your pad/phone/lappy will be flat/broken.

Sometimes the book is best.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Cynic said:

Your far better off spilling coffee on a book in the garage instead of your laptop. Plus you can write all your important info in the manual, mileage of service, filters changed etc. Draw your additions/mods for power sockets and such onto the wiring diagrams.

That cd will get 'put somewhere safe'. And never be seen again, or when you have a problem your pad/phone/lappy will be flat/broken.

Sometimes the book is best.

Thanks man! I appreciate it. That's the path I was leaning toward... I'd rather not have to print with the price of ink and how it doesn't seem to last in our printer either. 

• Like 1

Sacha I'm with Cynic, I have always written down any mods to the bike in the back of the manual, plus keep bills and any paperwork in an envelope with the name written large on the outside. In the UK we use the Haynes but I think yours would be the Clymer manual? Nothing like spending a wet weekend in a cold garage swearing at your bike ! :lol:

• Like 2

Back to your original question Grouch, as Drewpy says a FSH is the same be it "official" or not, as long as the work is done to a good standard and you don't lie about what you have done then most folks will be more than happy that you changed the oil and filters on time, but some will say it's not the same so when you come to sell the bike say up front it's been serviced by the owner and you should have no probs mate.

Stamps in a service book mean squat.

The only place it will even remotely help the price is at a dealer and they will hammer you anyhow.

The money you have saved doing it yourself will hansomely cover any possible profit from paying a stealer to do it and having a stamp.

Envelope full of dated receipts will make a far bigger difference.

Not sure really if this is 100% true, but if you buy a bike via Hire Purchase or Financing you may be obliged to get it serviced at the dealer you purchased from? (As you don't technically own it until payments are complete or something) What I have been told anyway..

15 hours ago, Grouch said:

I'm just confused about what exactly a service is. I thought it was just an oil, fluid, coolant change etc.

Pretty much. It's basically what the service schedule says to do, when it says to do it... but doesn't cover anything outside of that.

This is why you can have a FSH that exactly matches the schedule, but the vehicle itself is still ragged to shit.

Far better to know the vehicle, know the owner and know how good it actually is.

give them a call grouch, I do my services and mot`s here. I pay around 65-70 pounds with my stuffs. with his oil, filters and plugs, brake fluid,  I think I pay around 120 pounds last time for a complete service... and I thing in this price was included also the tyre change. not so far from you.

http://www.pudsey-motorcycles.co.uk/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Malleus said:

Not sure really if this is 100% true, but if you buy a bike via Hire Purchase or Financing you may be obliged to get it serviced at the dealer you purchased from? (As you don't technically own it until payments are complete or something) What I have been told anyway..

No mate that is not true at all. The dealer you bought it from will give you your first service free. But you are free to pick and choose who you use to service it.

4 hours ago, lallasro said:

give them a call grouch, I do my services and mot`s here. I pay around 65-70 pounds with my stuffs. with his oil, filters and plugs, brake fluid,  I think I pay around 120 pounds last time for a complete service... and I thing in this price was included also the tyre change. not so far from you.

http://www.pudsey-motorcycles.co.uk/

They look really good, cheers.

I always keep my receipts even for little things that only cost a few quid. Must admit I do feel better getting it serviced at a dealer but £180!!! 

• Like 1

when I buy the xvs950, I do the first service at jordan bike, I buy the bike from them. they tell me before the service will cost me around £260 BUT after they do the service, they ask me to pay £360, coming with things like first service, computer testring, bla bla. so, I tell them I will not pay this amount of money after they tell me a price and they drop the price around £300. was the last time I enter in their shop. when was the time for next service, I try Craig service and I was very happy with the jobs and the price is also very very good. I search for the bill when Craig do my service with his stuffs: £118 complete service + change both tires (my tyres) at this time the oil+ filter was £45 pounds, the spark plugs £5 so, £68 for his work. and there is something like 2,5 hours of work. last service+ one tyre change cost me £65 with my oil, filter and spark plugs and the tyre. I don`t think you will find better in area. the only problem, you have to book your service because is very busy. sometime I have to wait 2 weeks for a window.  the MOT cost me £25, I don`t know if is a good price because I don`t try another place

• Like 1

£25 for an MOT is good. Just when I think I've found an half decent garage they have my pants down. Sick of it now. Might try the guy up the road from me (Odsal Motorcycles) He recently fitted a chain and sprockets (supplied) I think it was £40 which I was more than happy with. He has been going since 1974. He took the time to tell me how to adjust my chain properly and a few other tips. He was a really nice guy. He's just an independent garage though not a Yamaha dealer. I think I might be being a bit snobbish wanting a Yamaha FSH but it's different when you buy a bike new, you just want the best for it. (Until some POS comes along and tries to steal it)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Grouch said:

No mate that is not true at all. The dealer you bought it from will give you your first service free. But you are free to pick and choose who you use to service it.

Well that is good. As I said I wasn't really sure - this was suggested by the place that sold the bike (unsurprisingly!) and tbh I am not really one for reading through contracts etc..

Come on Grouch , do you really want the work experience kid working on your bike down at the local Yammy dealer ?  He wont care about it like you do .  Plus the feeling of satisfaction after servicing your own bike and riding by the dealership with a wad of notes still in your wallet . Priceless !

• Like 2

I know this Kev, I learnt the hard way! I can get my friend who knows what he's doing to help me but he's already done loads of work. I don't want to take the piss. But I will end up doing it myself haha

5 hours ago, Malleus said:

Well that is good. As I said I wasn't really sure - this was suggested by the place that sold the bike (unsurprisingly!) and tbh I am not really one for reading through contracts etc..

Your first service should be free. That's what most do, sounds like they're trying to fleece you surprise surprise.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online