Noob with 2 sides of a4 to do list

Hedley
This post is 2898 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello.

yep bought my first bike(xvs 125 Dragstar), I can't put in to words the excitement felt, couldn't sleep for nearly 2 days and certainly could pay attention at work, which when your a butcher this sort of stuff isn't very helpful.

so, I have long ol' of stuff I need/want todo. I'm asking advice on:

*where do i get a workshop manual from?

*how do I replace snapped off mirrors

*best fixes for massive dents on the nice curvy petrol tank

*ive got a 15-20mm hole in the exhaust what's best to bang in there?

*if I put after market slip on mufflers (12" cafe style shorties) will I need to Danny about with the fuel air mix.

and

changing that god awful tail light.. It works fine, it just sticks out like some lurid appendage.

thanks and sorry again for newbieness.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 6:15 AM, Hedley said:

*where do i get a workshop manual from? Google is your friend

*how do I replace snapped off mirrors don't forget yams right hand mirrors have a left hand thread. they normally just unscrew after loosening the lock nut

*best fixes for massive dents on the nice curvy petrol tank  buy a 2nd hand tank

*ive got a 15-20mm hole in the exhaust what's best to bang in there? as kev said

*if I put after market slip on mufflers (12" cafe style shorties) will I need to Danny about with the fuel air mix. no proper answer, you need to check your spark plug colour. my FZ is running lean just with a K&N air filter

and

changing that god awful tail light.. It works fine, it just sticks out like some lurid appendage. go for it

I've seen one on gum tree but it went within a day. I might just change the style of my build and embrace its...quirks 

incidentaly, how do I go on with working out the angles and radius to the bends on the exhausts?

2 hours ago, neversaydie said:

No Haynes for the XVS125

Second hand tanks virtually unobtainable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-XVS125-DRAGSTAR-FUEL-TANK-XVS-125-BREAKING-2001-/252259211856?hash=item3abbd21a50:g:OxUAAOSwUV9Wn8a5 

12 hours ago, Hedley said:

I've seen one on gum tree but it went within a day. I might just change the style of my build and embrace its...quirks 

incidentaly, how do I go on with working out the angles and radius to the bends on the exhausts?

That's some technical stuff you'd be getting into there Hed.  If you can do it will you make me a set of race pipes for my LC ??  

27 minutes ago, KevtheRev said:

That's some technical stuff you'd be getting into there Hed.  If you can do it will you make me a set of race pipes for my LC ??  

He is talking v twin diesel. Some scaffold pipe should sort it.:P

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hedley said:

Good music and a TIG welder! ;)

I was only going to make the exhaust headers out of mild steel and wrap or paint them. Then fit a slip on muffler. Nuts to welding stainless. :) 

Boom! Spoke to the fabricator over the road he's gonna help with my exhaust. 

My more pressing problem is a carb related headache, I need to fit a new choke(starter) cable. I'm unsure if my carb is damaged as my cable was coiled up and chucked in a bag when bought my bike. Anyone got a photo of the 125 carb with the correct bit highlighted would be really helpful.

oh and how do I get corroded bolts off?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online