Help needed with electrics

Troosers
This post is 3363 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks, I've not been on here for a long while, so feel a bit of a cad asking for help.

I took the Divi out last Friday, it was a really naff day with lots of mucky spray. Got to the local bike shop and whilst manoeuvring to park, the bike cut out. I thought, what a numpty you've stalled it, but when I tried to start it there were no electrics.

I'll say at this point, there were no issues with the ride in, and that this was an immediate terminal issue. It was like I'd hit the kill switch.

With some movement of the bars, I got the ignition lights but when you hit the starter there is a click under the seat and everything disappears again.

My knowledge of electrics is minimal, but I have;

checked and cleaned the battery terminals and main earth to the engine,

checked and cleaned the terminals on the coils and getting the correct resistance readings from both,

Checked the pick-up coil and getting the correct resistance here too

Any other suggestions before it goes to a professional?

Andy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As above. Check wiring loom in and around ignition barrel. I had a similar issue a while ago, snapped wire coming out of the ignition barrel.

Same issue on my boys 535. Depending what way the bars were pulled, it would lose all power. Disconnected wiring in headlamp and stripped loom back to where it goes through the steering head and there was a broken wire. Relieved it was a simple find and fix. Obviously it had been under strain when manoeuvring the bars around causing it to fail. If you can try gripping the loom around the steering head area and wiggle it around see if the power comes back

Thanks for the input guys.

Cheers Kev, the battery and main earth was where I started. Like electricity I always go for the easiest route ;)

Got to take the wife out today, but should get a couple of hours on bike later. Will post up any further findings.

Thanks again.

Andy

• Like 1

Another one, if your bike is second hand - Many previous owners mis-route wires around the headstock and the wires get caught in the steering stops.

• Like 1

So yesterday didn't go well at all. Checked loads of stuff with no positive results. Time to get someone in.

Got a local mobile mechanic who appears to know electrics coming over next Monday. Will post up any findings.

Andy

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online