Big boy test

JohnnyBoy83
This post is 3608 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I'm pootling around on my 125, and it's great for commuting the 3 miles to work, but I want more.

Looking to try for my big boy license, and everywhere I turn people are trying to sell me 14hr+ direct access packages. Not a bad way to make £600, but then I am a cynic.

Perhaps I'm just being overconfident, but I've had a car license for 10 years, so I know the rules of the road. I ride to and from work every day in rush hour traffic and I'm not dead yet (6 months now). Is it really that hard to pass your test?

I've spoken to a few riders who are family/friends, and they've said take a few lessons then just bang in for your test, see what happens. I'm inclined to agree with them, but thought I'd get a few other opinions cos I'm like that.

Any of you used these direct access packages? Or do most people just go for it?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I don't know much about this to be honest. What I can say is that it will only get more expensive. Also do you need to to direct access on a larger bike? if so, do you have one and are you experienced on it.

I just rode around the block a couple of times to get my licence.

If you can then do the test and see what happens, I like Dt did the round the block one many years ago and nothing else since, if you can get out of forking over £600 to some grabbing sod who will tell you what you already know then do so. :jossun:

I think the way it works now. the £600 gets you tuition and a bigger bike to practice on.

the old days you paid £30 and rode round the block 4 times and did an emergency stop.

I did my Direct Access just over a year ago.

From my point of view - driving for just over 10 years also. I got a YBR and started my commute into work. My commute was an 80 mile round trip, over the Pennines and into the centre of Leeds. Quite a learning experience - especially in winter as I rode all year (expect in snow and ice). Add to that the fact that most weekends I'd go out for 150 / 200 mile jaunts. Loved it - what a great bike.

However, unlike most folk on here, I didn't have any biker friends or family, so no one to really learn from and ask the stupid questions (which I still have now). I decided to do DAS because I'm older and really rather dull so felt it would be ok, even though it unlocks the door to any bike of your dream (assuming you can afford the insurance!)

I went and saw the instructor first to check out their credentials etc. It was clear the bloke I learned with wasn't in it for a fast buck. He let me go out for a spin on an old Suzuki 500cc bike he still had from before the licence changes - free of course. With that done he told me what he thought I needed. I honestly can't remember now, but it was a handful of lessons and obviously use of his ER-6n.

So off I went to do my theory - aced that, it's very easy. Then within no time Module 1 then 2 were out the way.

So was it worth it? For me, most definitely. If I was you I wouldn't cut corners to save a few buck. It's easier to go through a school as you're insured with them and they have the bike etc. But that aside, I learned more detail around aspects such as braking etc, and the lessons were fun - we'd head out into the countryside then stop for a tea while he told me brilliant stories and taught me more theory. I thank him for getting me through both first time and would recommend him to any other local.

So I went straight out and bought a larger bike (Tiger 800) and have never looked back. I'm now commuting into Central London with a grin on my face that I took the time to get my licence. Well that and my work gave me a private parking space, lol! I get to take a ride in a car lift and can leave my bike in safety away from the hustle and bustle of London's manic roads!

Money well spent, and better to do it now before your CBT expires or they change the rules again!!

• Like 2

If you don't use a school you will have to find a big bike, try to insure it as a learner, get someone else to ride it to the test centre for you, and back again if you didn't pass. The way the test works now is all aimed at making you take instruction with a school making it difficult to do it alone. If it is a good school they can asses your riding and tell you how many lessons you might need to pass. (Which shouldn't be many by the sound of your experience so far)

I am the same age group as the auld farts above and just done the 'ride around the block' test, but I put my son through the training programme and am glad I did. If all schools are the same then you can book individual lessons and if you're as good as you think then the instructor will book your test earlier.

My school i did my test with done it over 4 days as long as you have ridden a 125 for atleast 6-10months, the only "hard" part is your MOD 1 test as anyone with good road sense can ride on the road and pass MOD 2.

But i found that riding a bigger CC bike is so much easier than a 125 as you need less effort to get them going and they just feel more ballanced and firm on the road

Test examiners are looking for a wide range of road skills, not just your ability to ride from a to b

I would be surprised, and pleased for you, if you were to borrow a larger bike and pass the modules first time

Your instructor will teach you how to pass the requirements that the examiner is specifically looking for

With no prior road experience, I inevitably failed my first test.

Both times I did a DAS course - 4 days, plus a couple hours pre-test on the 5th - for about £450.

The second one was with a former Police Riders instructor, so I learned a shit-load more than just the basics, but both were worth every penny.

I did DAS because I was over 21 and would do so again, as I wouldn't have to fuck around with more tests and can just hop on whatever bike I was most comfortable with.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online