DR sixfiddy

welshwan
This post is 3536 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

SORRY it's no yammy. If this thread is not welcome please let me know and i'll take it down.

Well as you know i got my hands on an old DR650 about a month ago. The other day i noticed that the fuel tank was leaking :(

Not too sure what i am going to be doing with the bike, to be honest. This thread may go little further than a few bits and pieces being fixed up, but that would be too easy. As we all know life isn't usually that straight forward. So lets see how this one goes.

The jobs i know that need doing so far are:

tank repair and repaint

new seat cover

spot lights

POSSIBLY some kind of bashplate/sumpguard

Exhaust needs painting

mirrors

Top box

Renthal bars

Hand guards

repainting of some other bits and pieces

Here's how the bike stood when i bought it:

$_58.JPG

$_58.JPG

I have started to strip some of it down slowly, i'll get some pics up of how it looks later on.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

looks good on the pics, tank just needs sealing with the POR15 from frost.co.uk

might be worth keeping it original as I've not seen many about

It's a bike so it's welcome, nothing really wrong with it so might just need fettling, those jobs shouldn't take to long and you'll have a nice bike. You could chase sheep round the hill's Welshwan.

What are you doing to do about the ironing board on the back? I *think* it's the rack?

Ha ha! Kidding! More than welcome on here, hell I'm chugging about on a Triumph for Pete's sake, and not yet been told to do one.

It is a smart looking bike for its age - sure you'll get plenty of help from this bunch. Would agree with Drewpy though, try and keep it as standard as possible. It has a cool look to it.

WOW....

Do me a favour - Paint it black, put some fancy electronics on it, change your name to Jesse Mach and then go fight crime on it!!

I really do love the look of that!!

looks good on the pics, tank just needs sealing with the POR15 from frost.co.uk

might be worth keeping it original as I've not seen many about

Thanks for the advice! any ideas how i can clean up the inside? Another problem with the tank is it has some stickers on it which i can't find any replacements for! maybe a touch up of the leaking area would be better then a full strip and repaint?

Yeah i think you are correct to try and keep as original as possible.

I did flirt with the idea of putting a big plastic aftermarket tank on it and some big dual headlights... think i'll keep this idea as the last resort!

It's a bike so it's welcome, nothing really wrong with it so might just need fettling, those jobs shouldn't take to long and you'll have a nice bike. You could chase sheep round the hill's Welshwan.

Hopefully it shouldn't take too long! and what did you think my husky is for other then chasing sheep?! Ain't no sheep going to outrun 577CC of hardcore enduro bike! :P

but in all seriousness i will be trying to keep this bike on the tarmac as much as possible. Metal tanks and off-roading don't mix too well!

What are you doing to do about the ironing board on the back? I *think* it's the rack?

Ha ha! Kidding! More than welcome on here, hell I'm chugging about on a Triumph for Pete's sake, and not yet been told to do one.

It is a smart looking bike for its age - sure you'll get plenty of help from this bunch. Would agree with Drewpy though, try and keep it as standard as possible. It has a cool look to it.

I WILL ignore the snarky comments about my bikes lovely RACK. *sniggers to self*

Yeah it does look pretty fucked up, BUT ohh so practical! trying to find another one will add unwanted expense to this. Trying too keep the costs down as much as possible.

fingers crossed, will keep it as standard as possible.

I think i agree, the look of it has certainly grown on me a lot since getting my hands on it. sexy old bike.

WOW....

Do me a favour - Paint it black, put some fancy electronics on it, change your name to Jesse Mach and then go fight crime on it!!

I really do love the look of that!!

what do you mean change my name? I am the the one, the only JESSE MACH - master of the street hawk!.

Just ride a white bike (with considerably smaller fairings lol) now so that people don't stop to ask for an autograph every ten minutes and want me to stop the bad guys.... i have other things to do nowadays. :P

glad you like the look of the DR anyhows

Not much updates on this so far.

The tank is off, and emptied. just leaving overnight in the hope that the last of the petrol fumes will evaporate then i will bring it inside to look at the true state of it.

Seat cover is off, you can't really see in the pictures but there was a huge rip down the left stitching that was covered with tape..... looked fucking awful and getting steadily worse every ride.

I think i have found a great looking cover for it. only problems are that i'll have to wait for it to arrive from thailand and it is for a slightly different model of DR650- TOUCH WOOD it will be the same seat. :eusa_think:

here's a pic of the seat cover i have my eye on anyways:

$T2eC16F,!yUE9s6NEILyBRNRH6zUig~~60_3.JP

your thoughts? i can also get plain black ones, but thought this badboy would suit the colors of the bike just fine.

Also taken all the fairings off to be thoroughly cleaned - most of this is done.... just need some new heat shield stuff to replace the rotten old crap that was on the back of the fairing covering the exhaust.

Plenty of bits that need a good going over with a wire brush and some fresh paint. MIGHT do some of this tomorrow. I'll get some pics of how it now stands when i get a chance :)

Will keep you lot updated.

• 3 weeks later...

How you getting on with the DR welshy? I'm picking one up on Saturday!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Nothing new to report really matey.

tank is off...... still need to inspect how bad it is and where it is leaking from

Have a few other bits and bobs that are in the proses of being painted like the oil radiator grill. High temp paint has arrived for the exhaust and calipers - should get started on painting the exhaust Sunday/Monday.

I bought that seat cover^ and the fucker don't fit...... need to find another seat cover somewhere, or modify this one to fit.

Three of the six bolts holding the luggage rack are rusted solid and are turning out to be a right bitch to drill out ( i suspect that my drill-bits aren't up to much)

Top box and aftermarket mirrors are on their way and possibly thinking of getting some new handlebars, so that i can fit hand guards on it (this will most likely be one of the last bits i get done, unless a good deal turns up)

So all in all, not much work has been done to it. I need to get my head down now and get some progress done.

Now tell me about this DR man?! What model and age? maybe a few pictures?

I have done about 220 miles on mine and it's very comfy, low seat height (compared to the apparent 35 inch seat height of the husky). nice for crunching some miles in comfort.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=201027657880

Quite happy with the price, and didn't cost me any extra to insure than the DT did.

Picking it up from Gloucester today so I'll be doing 100 or so miles, so I'll test how comfy it is!

I'm not planning on doing much to it, apart from change the fork gaiters, adapt the luggage rack to fit my givi top box and maybe change the clocks for ones that in mph.

That's unlucky with the seat cover! Is there anywhere local to you that could make one?

well?! how's the bike?

looks like a fair price! and it's the same year as my husky! any idea how much BHP that thing has? being a two smoker it should have some go in it

if i was brave enough to own a two stroke i would certainly consider one of those! looks NICE

Ooops wrong link haha. I bought a dr650!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=331125120164

i thought that was what you said! But after the link i was unsure hahahaha

Well then, how are you finding it?

bet it's nice to have an electric start....... :eusa_whistle:

There is one local place that makes stuff out of leather, i might have to pop by and ask then about the seat cover.

Oil radiator guard is painted and fitted.

one side pillion peg has been stripped, thoroughly cleaned, had the black bits repainted and split pin replaced- i have done one at a time as i didn't have a camera to hand and wanted to remember how they went back together.

awaiting an angle grinder rust brush thing to arrive before i can attempt to paint the exhaust black. The drill one isn't up to much and would take forever.

Yeah I'm loving it, I'm just gonna be using it as a commuter/workhorse, maybe try a bit of off roading haha.

Rode it about 115 miles back when I collected it, and was really impressed! Cruised at about 80 quite happily, and I think I had it up to around 95.

The electric start is nice, and it fires up dead easy, doesn't even need choke sometimes!

There's a few bits I need to do to it, but nothing major, done a few bits this week

I know NEV had an original looking seat cover made up for his DTR. It looks really good. Unfortunately it was not print on the seat it was YAMAHA cut out and then another colour beneath it. Personally it looks better. Or different.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well it has been about a month and still no more updates.

Firstly i found a full set of used plastics for the husky - at the price they were, i'd have been stupid not to buy then. Especially as they are fairly rare to find in 'okay' condition.

Also the huskys MOT is in a couple of weeks and needs some money chucking at it to pass. - two new tyres, new headlight, chain rollers, front brake pads.....and that's all i have noticed so far.

air filter - not for MOT obviously but it does need changing.

Front inner tube from a greenlaning puncture last Sunday.

When i actually get something don, i'll be sure to post.

This thread aint dead yet.

You should get one foamy, it'll add another dimension to your fleet! Haha

Here's some pics of mine:

agezu3ub.jpg

Beasty big bore pipe:

8etamaby.jpg

• Like 1