How to avoid tyre removal fee

Noise
This post is 3632 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well i need a new front tyre for the Dragstar and im also getting the rims and hubs powder coated and some new spokes, so i thought id have a go at removing the tyre my self to save a few pennies and this is how i did it (if you ever wanted to do it)

TOOLS NEEDED:

Two thick long screw drivers (i used a flat head and phillips head)

WD40 (lube)

Your foot

To start with you will need a tyre to remove but do just go out and steel some poor fuckers wheel. Thats just not cool any more and remove ALL the air (take the valve out if you can)

DSC_0175_zps7eb2a1fe.jpg

Remove brake disc

DSC_0176_zps82e7a5c4.jpg

place foot on the tyre by the rim and brake the beed.

NOTE: jumping stamping screaming and the odd cuss is required

DSC_0179_zps2edb29bd.jpg

Now jam in a flat head driver and hook it under the beed and pull it over the rim and hold it

Place your second long thick driver between the rim and beed

DSC_0180_zps92f47312.jpg

Now start to pull the beed over the rim with a flat head driver till its all out

DSC_0182_zps437c9cdf.jpg

Like so

DSC_0183_zpsf348624a.jpg

Flip the wheel over and start jummping stamping screaming and cussing on the beed on the other side

DSC_0184_zps0a4af281.jpg

If this dosn't work jam your flat head driver between the rim and under the beed and prize it over

like this

DSC_0185_zpsad7a27f7.jpg

Now prize it over the other side of the rim

DSC_0186_zps9c107469.jpg

And now remove your tyre

DSC_0187_zpsc2a546d9.jpg

DSC_0188_zpsa9a0b4a2.jpg

Wipe the swet from your brow and have a cuppa

Job done

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Rather than jumping on it to break the bead why not use a vice or a pair of large "G" cramps? I find this best as it means you reduce the swearing to a minimum and one other thing a bit of old pipe to protect the rims (if they are alloy) can also mean you don't have to respray them afterwards. Other than that your spot on!!! Nice one.

Cheers slice, well i have a vice but thought id do a poor mans write up as if anyone out there dosn't have a vice or a G clamp they can now know how to still do it (allbeit hard and frustrating)

I shall edit to include your tips too. thanks for the in put ;)

Not a criticism Noise just a few of the things I have learned over the years, we all try to do this at one time or another and as DT says I would rather spend a fiver but each to his/her own.

I have several vices... smoking being the main one!

If there's any job that results in me needing a cuppa afterward, it's too much hard work and likely cheaper/safer getting a professional to do it!

Our tyre-fitting places are mostly ride-in or mobile, so the old tyre removal is taken as a given and part of the price anyway.

However, I'm massively in favour of at least knowing how something is done, even if I can do it mesen', so muchas gracias Noisisas!!

I'd rather pay a fiver. I still have the scars on my fingers from when I last attempted it about 20 years ago.

Not a criticism Noise just a few of the things I have learned over the years, we all try to do this at one time or another and as DT says I would rather spend a fiver but each to his/her own.

Yer but come off it guys a fiver is a pint down the pub so if thats not worth it what is? ha ha.

I don't take it as Criticism Slice im more than happy to recive help and advice.

Why not use tyre levers? Riding dirt bikes, you learn pretty quick how to change tyres, its no different to a puch bike!

Again, "most" folks such as my self dont own tyre levers but do own screw drivers. So this was one of those write ups to show how you can get a tyre off the red neck way. Ha ha

And just to add, Noise

If you brake both beed's first,,, then start taking off the tyre,,, it makes it easier.

To help avoid stabing the tube ,remove the nut holding the air stem and push it inside then start there with removing the tire. Then dont pry untill you might be pinching the tube against the tire. But realy a new tube is best every time as they rot at the air stem.

3-4 times paying for removal will pay for a nice pair of tire irons. If you don''t blow it on pints at the pub LOL

To not scratch the rim take a piece of hose and cut it lenght wise and place on the rim where you intend to pry,haveing a few pieces, make it even easier.

Good on you Noise over the years you will save enough to buy a few new tire's,might not sound like much but better than a kick in the ass.

I Liked DT 50's tip in another thread where he lay the wheel down on an old carpet, placed a board on the tire up to rim then drove his truck on it to break the seal, now you could do that without even spilling your tea or whatever :drunk:

I like that idea too Toomy ha ha

• 8 months later...

I now have a Avon Cobra on the front, 190/90-19 IIRC

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online