Measuring fuel - how without gauge

Ipswich Lad
This post is 4128 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Fill her up check the mileage and zero the trip if there is one. Ride till it runs out and you switch to reserve.

Check milage. Then fill up 10miles before that.

Worked for me for the last 25 years.

• Like 1

I always do the trip meter method

roughly 130 miles from brimmed with fuel

sometimes wait till the last drop before reserve

sometimes fill up with half a tank,, depends where i am going

if i know there are not many petrol stations about or it is late at

night and the local ones are closed ( rural ones seem to do office hours )

if you're riding a DT50 or anything else that doesnt have a trip meter, its purely guess work "A is x miles away from B, but going to C is 2x miles from (AB), i can do x miles on y fuel" e.t.c

I don't have a tripmeter on my little G7S so I have to keep an eye on the odometer.

Nah no guesswork steve. Just write your mileage on the receipt when you pay for the fuel.

Simples..

i was looking into modifying a fuel sender into my tank going to look further into it im sure its possible but there are so many different types sizes depths etc....

at the present time i open the cap and look in but i want something i can look at without stopping the bike, i use alot more fuel when i head off green laining yes there is always the reserve also.

ken

run it to reserve then find a garage, this works fine for me.

Not advisable in the north west of Scotland, fuel station are scarce, as pat and I found out, went 100 mls without gas station,

got to the only 1 [ Durness] closed sunday :eusa_doh: , next station 35mls, yeh and that was closed, pat syphoned into my tank, finally gat a spar shopp with pump,

deffo trip meter. in winter fill up at 80 miles. In summer 100 miles.

Huh?

I use a lot less in the winter. Like 50 ish in the summer and 80+ in the winter rubbish.

Huh?

I use a lot less in the winter. Like 50 ish in the summer and 80+ in the winter rubbish.

I use more fuel in the winter because I let the bike warm up first, and as I'm only commuting six miles I have to let it idle for five minutes at work to get rid of the mayo.

In the summer I can more or less just start the bike and go, then switch off the other end.

Not advisable in the north west of Scotland, fuel station are scarce, as pat and I found out, went 100 mls without gas station,

got to the only 1 [ Durness] closed sunday :eusa_doh: , next station 35mls, yeh and that was closed, pat syphoned into my tank, finally gat a spar shopp with pump,

haha brilliant

i've rode those roads up there and ran out a few times lol

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online