Howling/Screaming Noise

edoffroad
This post is 4173 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Morning All

I've just serviced my 600fzs fazer 2002 and everything seems to be running perfectly. The bike is new to me since passing my test in October and since riding it for the first time there has always been what I can only describe as a Howling/sreaming noise that seems to be coming from the front end. It doesn't kick in until about 25mph and gets progressively louder and the pitch gets higher the faster you go! It's had new quality brake pads, there is no play in the front bearing at all and the break discs are in excellent condition. I've even taken off the front mud guard extension to see if that was rubbing on the nearly new tyre to see if that makes a difference but it doesn't. At first I thought it was just air rushing through the fairing but it's got more of a revolving/spining noise to it.

If any one has experienced this or has any suggestion please.

Many thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My fazer made a noise that bothered me whilst riding (can't remember if it was a scream or a vibrating noise). I remember tracing it to the fly-screen. Added a blob of clear silicon sealant to the top of each side of the screen which stopped it.

Its the bike an import? ie are the dial on your speedo in KMH and has had a MPH conversion? my bike is an import and has a little gold cog thing on the speedo cable near the wheel that whines

I had a howling and screaming from my car the other day. my wife took this picture and I think I know what it could be....

kidonscreen.jpg

I know what the screaming was drewpy the steering wheel was on the other side of the car .And she was screaming what do I do with this thing :biglaugha:

Realy though finding mystery noises is a process of elmination,try riding with your hand holdin the wind screen and anything else you can put your hand on,if it a cable drive speedo try pulling it off, the lip seals covering the wheel bearings could be dry,try jacking the bike up and spin the front wheel with a bench grinder to get it up to 25mph then you can listen around and possibly locate the noises source. Could be a out of ballance tire causing vibrations to make body work vibrate.

It's not an import it's a UK bike so no gold thing Noise. It's also not that typical wife whine either, it's even more hi pitched!!

I'll keep on with the process of elimination DT and see what's what.

Thanks all

sounds to me like there might be something between the pads and disk...

we had a little bit dirt between the pads and disk on front of our company car and it made such a high pitched screaching sound - off with the wheel and in with the jet wash lol! problem solved

what happens to the noise under heavy braking? you might get away with pumping the front brake a few times get them pads bedded in.

just an idea

ken

I'll give it a go Ken, but the noise was there before we changed the brake pads, just in case it was the break pads as they were cheap and nasty things that weren't the best fit.

Thanks

Copperslip on the back of the pads stops squealing also the dust seals on the wheel axle spacers can run dry and be noisy.

it may be haunted :eusa_think:

Didn't realise you worked for Kwik-Fit Kev

we have similar problems with helicopters, one of the fault logs submitted by the pilot was "Tapping noise in cockpit, sounds like troll with tiny hammer", to which the engineers report was "Tiny hammer removed from troll"

The sort of diagnostic answer you'd get from a Kwik-Fit fitter.

I'll take a look at that tomorrow Preload....then I might have to try Shit-Fit and then if they don't know maybe a paranormal society to see if it is indeed haunted!...I'll let you all know.

This might not be helping me fix my bike buts it's giving me a giggle..

Cheers, Ed.