Can you shed some light on a bulb question?

atocp
This post is 4248 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello guys and girls,

I am not the brightest when it comes to figuring out simple things. I've been trying to google and search for a meaning, but I can't seem to find one. Maybe I'm just being dim.

Can someone suggest what the numbering for a bulb is? E.g. 6v 17/5.3.

I know it is a 6V, and its either going to be a 17W or a 5.3W...or magically both - maybe under different conditions? But I am trying to buy a tail light bulb for my YB100. Wem*to have already supplied the wrong order once, and checking their site doesn't give you the details of what bulb you are buying, but the Haynes book of en'light'enment tells me its a 6V 17/5.3W.

Should I be buying a 6V say 17 or 18W....or a 5 or 6W? What does the other number mean?

This is such a simple question, but I've tried to find an answer, and couldn't.

Don't leave me in the dark. Help brighten up my day with an answer...oh, light of my life? Dazzle me with your genius and turn me on. Ok, I've taken that a bit too far. Sorry.

Any quick answer is much appreciated,

atocp

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

heres a quick answer then.....

If its a 6v bulb with two figures afterwards....each one represents the watts of the two filaments inside. One is 17w and the other 5.3w

you have a rear light bulb which has a brake light inside too..........

hopefully I haven't turned you on too much!

aaaahhh....totally didn't think of two filaments.

thank you. you have certainly brightened up my evening. and not turned me on too much.

many thanks NE0

I've been trying to come up with a bright idea as how I could help you out.

But. as I am a bit dim I am a bit in the dark as to help.

So. As I can't think of anything obvious I will turn the light out and go to bed.

Youv'e started something now. :thumb:

I°m in the dark here. Anybody torched on any flash ideas.

It would seem that you need to go to your local bike shop and demand a STOP / TAIL light, then in the light of your knowledge the salesman will bask in the glory of your obvious sparkling aura & produce said item post haste, you can then return home to install said item onto your glorious machine which will then light the way to enlightenment of others who will now know that when said item is in use you are in fact stopping.

Going to turn the light off now and have a lie down. :crazy:

When I started reading this I was in the dark.Now the suns come up to brighten my day along with this post

Thank you all for illuminating this poorly known topic....of bulbs.

I've bought a 21/5W to take the place of the stop/tail light, but anyone else got any bright ideas?

Oh no you should have got a 5w/21w. Yours will never work.

Tis a black day.

Yup Cynics right , it won't work, fraid you'll have to sell it. You've got no choice.

Put it on ebay list it as "light bulb not working unable to source spares!"

put it up for a £1..........don't let anyone knock you down.

Very dark day indeed,............or is it an eclipse?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online