Last Minute Substitutes.

Morpheuz
This post is 4494 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Anyone ever been doing something, and needed to nip somewhere fast or do something fast and the tools available for them wasn't there?

I was thinking earlier about toothpaste, and its use as a chrome polish.

Has anyone else got any uses for random everyday stuff, that comes in real handy in the workshop or on the move?

Anything at all, substitutes for bike care items would be great.

1. Toothpaste - Chrome/Metal Polish

2. Tampon/Screw Driver - Gets at oil in hard to reach places

3. Vinegar/Soda Crystals/Lemon Juice - Eats off rust, ready to paint!

4. Aluminium Foil/Coke - Removes rust/marks and polishes chrome.

5. WW2 issue P-38 Can Opener or Dough - Dont even think about touching your bike until your fingernails are clean.

6. A heated shed, comfy seat, and a cooler for beer - Then you can live in there.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

American WW2 issue P-38 can opener.

ANY veteran will tell you these things are amazing! If ever there was a precursor to the Swiss army knife, this is it. The British Army issued a larger version, which I also have lying around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener

http://survivaltek.com/?p=2069

American WW2 issue P-38 can opener.

Believe it or not, but I have got one of these and use it nearly on a weekly basis. It is stamped with the goverment "arrow" dated 1970. I aquired it when serving on the "Ark Royal" in the stores "Jack Dusty" branch .

They were supposed to be issued to the Bootnecks for their ration packs.

To clean up pitted dirty chrome , Don"t use steel wool, try alufoil [ roasting] with a little water, cleans & anti-oxidises, , no scratches,, :eusa_snooty:

Believe it or not, but I have got one of these and use it nearly on a weekly basis. It is stamped with the goverment "arrow" dated 1970. I aquired it when serving on the "Ark Royal" in the stores "Jack Dusty" branch .

They were supposed to be issued to the Bootnecks for their ration packs.

I got 3, we use them at scouts still

I use pickaling viniger to clean dirty rusty bike parts, for light rust I leave it in there 1-2 days.

For heavy rust it takes a while like more like 2-4 days, also for better results iv put malasis in the mix, iv also used soda crystals, but add the crystals slowly as it foams a little when you first put the crystals in, it takes a while to clean but it's cheap :)

What would the can opener be used for other than opening cans?

This particular one is good for cleaning the dirt from under your fingernails, Also, which is good for cleaning under your fingernails is kneeding dough prior to breadmaking. :P

A warm shed,,,, a seat,,,,,a mini fridge for beers...........

These are very important so that youre relaxed while you think of what's to be done next OR as you plan ahead to the end result B)

I wish i had these :(

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online