those boots where made for riding

grasshopper
This post is 4591 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Honourable members

Stop the press Ive done it ,yep last wednesday picked it up my new toy xt660x what have i done !!!! i

My first bike so as i am new to all this i decided to get a new one ,shes a bit tight the old girl but she is losening up nicely now got about 170miles on her ,took a great ride out today down along the coast along past eastbourne, beachy head ,seaford, newhaven and along to lewes about 50miles in total and really enjoyed it i am taking it steady as i have no experience really of riding at all apart from my time in the saddle whilst i was learning so caution is the name of the game .

But i need some advice i want to get some proper boots as at the moment i am using my fishing boots dont laugh they are 100% waterproof but they are a bit clumpy and not that comfortable for riding in .

I guess i have got to be sensible having spalshed the cash recently so my budget would be £100 max i need something thats not going to break the bank but keep my tootsie warm and dry ? what would you recommend apart from not going out in the cold and the wet !

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Firstly - ditch the fishing boots! It's just madness riding without the proper protective gear - esp if you're still new to both motorcycling & your machine.

About 8 months ago, there I was standing in my local Hein Gericke store trying not to pass out at the cost of the boots - something I then needed. Anyhoo, I listened to the shop Manager giving it large to the customer in front who clearly felt completely obliged to spend no less than £300 on his boots. After he went, the Manager admitted to me that he had personally tried almost all the boots in the store at some point and the pair he felt were the best were actually close to the cheapest - a decent balance of comfort, protection & waterproofing. Needless to say I bought them - more to do with budget than sales pitch to be honest. I have found them brilliant - I wear them all day at work and they are more comfortable than some shoes I've bought. Waterproofing is spot on - a weekly clean and regular waterproof treatment doesn't do any harm. Cost? 80 scoobies at Hein Gericke. Link below ......

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/bullson-solid-sheltexr-black.html

Definately good advice there about being new to your machine and the wonderful world of biking. Personally I used to use cheap cacky gear all the time despite the amount of money I put into my bikes and it took me a long time to realise that this was both false economy and not safe. It was only when I started doing more miles that I decided to put more into my clothing.

I invested wisely in a pair Frank Thomas boots back in the late 90's and they are still going strong. They were half price at £69 as they were end of line stock and other than Herman Munster buying them, nobody wanted size 12's! But anyone who knows about winter riding will tell you buy bigger so you can get some good socks on, maybe even two pairs. So no you don't have to invest big bucks in them but a good bit of searching and you should find a bargain or two that will last you a helluva long time :)

what's wrong with deri boots? :biglaugha:

Indeed, there's a pair sitting in my cupboard for any time I fancy a change from the Alt-Bergs.

Or, I hear good things about German Paratrooper Boots - a quick Google throws up a load of 'em from about £50 up.

TCX Gortex boots,,,,,,,,,,, there brill,,,,,,,,,even in our Irish heavy rain your feet will be dry.

Got mine on sale for £90 i think,,,,,, no extra socks or any of that crack needed.

Indeed, there's a pair sitting in my cupboard for any time I fancy a change from the Alt-Bergs.

Or, I hear good things about German Paratrooper Boots - a quick Google throws up a load of 'em from about £50 up.

My mate swears by German Paratrooper boots, but I'm sure he said he goes for the officer ones.

honarable members ,

Have sorted the footware issue with a new pair of boots for 85quid from hein gericke and they are soo much better than the fishy footware they are now living back in the boot of my motor ! thanks for the advice i had never heard of hein gericke but i see they have branches everywhere excellent thanks again .

Lets hope this fabulous weather lasts for another week or so !!!!!

Grasshopper, I have just come back from two glorious weeks holiday in East Sussex. :hyper:

The amount of bikers there were unbelieveable.

My mate swears by German Paratrooper boots, but I'm sure he said he goes for the officer ones.

A lot of soldiery types like to swear by these German Paraboot things. Most commonly it's cadets rather than regulars of any kind. It's a very 1980s thing.

Personally, I prefer the MkII Boots Combat High with the padded tongue. In '93 I had a pair given me by a chap who went to the Falklands in them and who'd worn them almost daily. I wore nothing but these, every day and they lasted about 14 years.

25 years for a pair of lightweight boots?

Win in my book!

I now have a second pair, which I wear for the bike.