Replacement keys

Vez
This post is 4878 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

It's not bike related but I'm aware a few of you on here are familiar with locks etc..

Ok, so my Dad has managed to lose the keys for his van (2001 Vauxhall combo). :rolleyes:

Is it possible to get a replacement cut? ( i presume so but don't want to get laughed at from the locksmith)

If so what will i need to do i.e call a locksmith out or is it just a case of taking a number from the barrel and getting one cut from the smiths?

Any advice appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's not bike related but I'm aware a few of you on here are familiar with locks etc..

Ok, so my Dad has managed to lose the keys for his van (2001 Vauxhall combo). :rolleyes:

Is it possible to get a replacement cut? ( i presume so but don't want to get laughed at from the locksmith)

If so what will i need to do i.e call a locksmith out or is it just a case of taking a number from the barrel and getting one cut from the smiths?

Any advice appreciated.

usually you have to go to the vauxhaul dealer with proof of ownership, V5. driving license and passport/recent utility bill. then pay a lot of money for them to re code key.

That is my experience of Ford, now i always get a key copied/coded if i only have 1 set.

drewps

usually you have to go to the vauxhaul dealer with proof of ownership, V5. driving license and passport/recent utility bill. then pay a lot of money for them to re code key.

That is my experience of Ford, now i always get a key copied/coded if i only have 1 set.

drewps

Thanks for the reply drewpy, but its not a coded key ( immobilizer is separate).

Just had a quote of £95 for a locksmith to come out and replace the keys *ouch*

Vez give 'Keyfax' a ring (opposite Dukinfield town hall), they do vehicle keys there, see if they can help

I did Paul, they wanted £140 :o

Get hold of a local independent Lockie - Stay away from the big national ones, or any with a big/pretty advert in Yellow Pages.

It usually needs the guy to impression the lock, test-cut, re-impression, re-cut, rinse and repeat many times over until a working profile has been established. He will then finalise the test cut and create a set off that.

Most lockies charge a call-out fee, so if there's ANY way to get either the vehicle or just the lock to him, that'd be cheaper.

If there is an index number on the lock, that could help cut down a LOT of work, as that can often tell the guy what cuts to make. If he has a system like the VAG 66, he may also be able to get the info off the registration/vin/engine/chassis numbers.

Try and locate as much proof of ownership as possible as some Lockies refuse this kind of work without it, to safeguard against theft.

A decent Lockie will be miles cheaper than a main dealer.

With the above info, could be as little as £20 for a set of 3 new keys.

If you need any more help, gimme a shout.

Get hold of a local independent Lockie - Stay away from the big national ones, or any with a big/pretty advert in Yellow Pages.

It usually needs the guy to impression the lock, test-cut, re-impression, re-cut, rinse and repeat many times over until a working profile has been established. He will then finalise the test cut and create a set off that.

Most lockies charge a call-out fee, so if there's ANY way to get either the vehicle or just the lock to him, that'd be cheaper.

If there is an index number on the lock, that could help cut down a LOT of work, as that can often tell the guy what cuts to make. If he has a system like the VAG 66, he may also be able to get the info off the registration/vin/engine/chassis numbers.

Try and locate as much proof of ownership as possible as some Lockies refuse this kind of work without it, to safeguard against theft.

A decent Lockie will be miles cheaper than a main dealer.

With the above info, could be as little as £20 for a set of 3 new keys.

If you need any more help, gimme a shout.

That was the kind of info i was hoping for :thumb:

I have 2 days to try and get it done before my Dad gets back from work, so ill try and pull the lock myself and then take all the relevant paperwork ect to the local locksmiths.

Thanks Ttaskmaster :D

£20 i don't think so,

but like ttask says ,vin number and reg number would be the easiest and cheapest option.

as the impression method takes time.

you also need not remove the barrol.

£20 i don't think so,

If you have an existing key - £7 to cut a set of three.

If you have the cut index - around £15 to cut a set of three.

Timpsons, Keyrite and similar charge almost double for the same work.

I've a bunch of keys here,,,,dont know what there for. :bag::eusa_doh:

Dont bin them Pat cos as soon as you do you'll find a lock-and guess what ! :mellow:

Dont bin them Pat cos as soon as you do you'll find a lock-and guess what ! :mellow:

Aye, ill hang on to them Jim,,,,,the bunch seems to be growing somehow.

ps. am tryin to get Vez to bite ! :lol:

They couldn't cut me a key without seeing the lock, (had the v5 and all the numbers fromt he vin plate) and he said it had to be the ignition barrel, which will only come out intact using special tools or the key :rolleyes:.

So were gonna fork out for a smith to come out and sort it as its getting to close to xmas to be messing with it.

Thanks for all your advice, I learned a few things even if i couldn't get it done myself.

Is that this Keyfax place?

Did you ring round a few local chaps, too?

thats a hell of a lot cheaper than over here in bolton...

If you have the index (or an existing key) and a key cutter, it's a 10 minute job.

So if you can get the thing to them, there's no call-out charge.

Some guys also a mobile key cutting machine in the van, so will try and stop by on their way back from an existing call-out or something, eliminating the need for your call-out charge. Downside is it could be at any time, but they'll phone with as much notice as possible to make the appointment - It saves you some cash though.

Low-costs = word of mouth = recommendations = future work!

iff your desparate , you could go to the makers with the reg number.

but what they will charge is anyones guess.

Yes Ttaskmaster, I rang round loads of places yesterday afternoon to call out and sort it, quite a few wouldn't touch it because i quote " we don't do vans", despite me explaining it was a corsa with a box on the back, so not really a van. Some of the prices were ridiculous starting from £95 and going up to £210.

There was one company from Salford who were very helpful, if you can call advice on how to steal a combo van helpful. I won't repeat it here but you can probably imagine (scariest phone conversation i ever had). Also told me that apparently the basic AA cover includes lost key replacement, so you only pay for the price of the replacement key and the AA pays the call out fee, i haven't confirmed this yet though(?).

Keyfax was the only place i went because i didn't have the energy to travel around anymore, i have the flu and just wanted to go back to bed.

Well it was done this morning for a cost of £120, which was painful, but less so than walking about in this weather. It was more than the quoted £95 because there is an after market immobilizer we had fitted that needed to be reset or something.

Oh and Pat, I have some lube here that would help alot with shoving that bunch of keys you have where i would like to put them! :o>:blink:>:icon_eek:>:wacko:>:crying: (enough bite for you :P? )

(*Edited 3 times due to stupid line spacing not working right)

Oh and Pat, I have some lube here that would help alot with shoving that bunch of keys you have where i would like to put them! :o>:blink:>:icon_eek:>:wacko:>:crying: (enough bite for you :P? )

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Least ya have it sorted,,,,,,£120 isnt all that bad.

I lost keys before for a transit van, was none the wiser at the time had to go to ford, cose me €450,,,,,i nearly cried.

Didnt post this earlier caus i new they would rip ya off.

Happy Christmas to ya m8