Newb without a bike yet

jack_p92
This post is 4857 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

If you keep it serviced you will not break a DT gearbox, fact! so long as there is oil in it. They are built from granite, must be.

The rest of the bike is pretty good too, been making them since the early seventies with 5 basic marques.

Mk1 Twin shock till 76ish

Mk2 Monoshock till 84ish

Mk3 went from aircooled to liquid cooled till 88/89 nineties

Mk4 got the powervalve motor.

MK5 around 02 there was an overall makeover you have to look to spot it though.

There have been changes all the way through but none have been massive just for emmitions etc. As far as performance goes i think the early powervalves were the best but others will know better than me on that.

Just check VERY carefully whatever you look at isn't nicked the TWOC's love them.

I get the sense that Jack is gonna 'give it a go' :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

haha i dont want to fuck it!! But ill give it ago :P

Need to start renting myself out haha, apprentice wage is poor for saving up for this bike.

Just seen this, its not exactly what I was after, but it seems quite cheap, and is near to me, so i can go have a look. Also if i got it now ive got a bit of time to get it running a bit better untill summer.

Anything i need to know about that years model? Is it worth just holding out and waiting for a newer one?

http://leeds.gumtree.com/leeds/16/69991316.html

Just seen this, its not exactly what I was after, but it seems quite cheap, and is near to me, so i can go have a look. Also if i got it now ive got a bit of time to get it running a bit better untill summer.

Anything i need to know about that years model? Is it worth just holding out and waiting for a newer one?

http://leeds.gumtree.com/leeds/16/69991316.html

ha it will easily pass the next MOT with fuel pissing out of the carb? don't think so.

have a look and offer £500 and walk if need be. didn't catch the milage.

Measaged the guy and he's not even in Leeds, god knows why its on Leeds.gumtree.

Decided I'm not spending over 1k. Don't mind if it needs a new piston if I get it for a good price, as I can do it while I'm saving up for insurance.

Measaged the guy and he's not even in Leeds, god knows why its on Leeds.gumtree.

Decided I'm not spending over 1k. Don't mind if it needs a new piston if I get it for a good price, as I can do it while I'm saving up for insurance.

DT is the way forward, i had the 50MX (mk 2 monoshock) and loved it, wish to god i never sold that bike!.

well worth their money, if you can change oil on a car you can sure as hell manage it on a DT, will give you years of noble service if you maintain it

Link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-YAMAHA-DT-125-R-BLUE_W0QQitemZ270680758095QQcategoryZ9809QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem

Saw this on eBay, finishes on xmas day so might go for cheap. Only problem is getting it back home as its about an hour away.

• 2 weeks later...

got this today :D its a 2007 DTR125 done around 8500k

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

Need plans on what to do with it now, i want to tidy it up a bit as its not in the best condition. Going to remove the stickers cos im not a fan.

Any ideas/help/tips let me know :)

Another Dt125 " nice jack, :rolleyes: plenty of owners here to help you, ...go canney for you first few rides .

Get rid of them tyres fast. They are borderline leagal at best, the front looks like a sand tyre, a worn one at that and sand tyres on cold winter roads will have you on your arse in double quick time.

Looking at stuff like the exhaust as its completely corosion free and the swinger with those tyres. Not to mention the lack of the guard on the front disk, (it fills up with shit and traps stones) i'd say thats been somebodys green lane tool.

Wont have done it any harm, in fact bar the cosmetics you probably have a better bike for it as the maintanance will have been more thourough, (look at the chain/sprokets they havent done 8000miles) and getting dirty didn't do anybody any harm eh...