Heavy Duty bike cover

jimmy
This post is 3164 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Folks

I'm looking for recommendations for a heavy duty bike cover. I need to take the bike out the shed for a few weeks and the weather up here is shit. I bought an Oxford cover last year and it didnt last the pace. The silver coloured material (for those who know) ended up shredded with just a little wind

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Jimmy. I have the Oxford Stormex cover for my bike. When I had my YBR I had a cheaper Oxford cover (that had a lot of silver on it, so maybe the same one you talk of?). Anyway I don't have that anymore as it was showing its age and had ripped).

So bought the Stormex one a year ago. My bike lives outside and it's still holding up a year later. The black has faded in the sun, but material is still in tact and it doesn't let water through.

Note that I always put a couple of bungees around it also to stop it catching sail in the wind or snagging something on my bike. I think that helps make it last longer.

Should get another year it of it no worries. Then I may consider replacing.

• Like 1

What Bippo said. I've used the Oxford Stormex for about a year, as well as the colour fading the sun has taken it's toll on the taping covering the seams. Given that you're in Scotland I guess the sun won't be an issue......

One thing to watch out for is that if the Stormex touches wet ground the soft inner surface wicks up water like a sponge.

• Like 1

Cheers folks. 

I was looking to spend about £70 (having learned my lesson last year with the £30 Oxford) so the stormex seems the better bet. I checked over their reviews and it seems to score well being BIKE mag Recommended

Stormed here as well - had one for YBR [small] and I currently have one for XJ6 [medium].

I actually don't have anything to compare them too having been recommended them from the start.

I'm in Scotland as well - and bikes get kept outside.

• Like 1

Aye jim, mines is MotoGp.  heavy duty,  don't know who makes them,,,

By the way, we did west coast today,  , traffic was heavy,[ glen coe]   Filling station attendant said "its the first dry Sunday since April. 

Everyone and there dog was up that way,,,

• Like 1

In the end I ordered an Oxford Stormex, so thanks for your help peeps (and if it shreds itself within a year I know who to moan at.....)  ;)

In the end I ordered an Oxford Stormex, so thanks for your help peeps (and if it shreds itself within a year I know who to moan at.....)  ;)

Bippo

• Like 2

It can get surprisingly warm under the Stormex so make sure the bike is dry before hand and get the vents open.

Has stood up to everything the coast has thrown at it down here for a year.

It arrived yesterday. Pretty impressed with the difference in quality between the stormex and the aquasummit that I previously bought......You only get what you pay for. Although I paid £30 for my first Oxford shitty one whilst my boy paid £9 for one out of Aldi or Lidl. His is still in tiptop condition

And make sure you don't get a dormex by mistake. They ain't waterproof, and in the rain it gets *wetter* underneath them.

[no-one I know did that... honest]

• 2 weeks later...
Ride did a section on covers a few months ago (April 15). Top ones were: (marked on water/heat/abrasion resistance/easy of use) fitting time after brackets

Oxford Stormex £80 18/20 (5/5/5/3) 1:49 mins. Chain eyelets, front tab, vented, taped seams
Oxford Aquatex £30 17/20 (5/5/2/5) 38 secs. Chain eyelets & front tab
Gear Gremlin Classic Neon £50-80 17/20 (4/5/4/4) chain eyelets, front tab, vented
Oxford Rainex £55 15/20 (5/3/4/3) 62 secs chain eyelets, front tab, vents, taped seams
JDC Ultimate £30 15/20 (5/5/2/5) 62 secs, chain eyelets,vented, taped seams, lined. Says an update with better material coming soon but costs £8 more.