Am I just unlucky?

This post is 3217 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

:huh:  Sorry but I'm really pis**d off, with Yamaha's, I bought this Thundercat (1999 model) in what appeared to be in very good all round condition, 13,300 miles from an N. Ireland dealer,  it's  the only 2nd Yamaha I've owned in 50+ years of biking, went out on the second ride and the nearside oil seal blew,  and it has never happend with the Honda's or Kawasaki's I've had.  I stripped it down and the garage fitted new original Yamaha oil seals both sides, great,  went out again for a run and on the second time,  it blew again.  So not best pleased especially as the mechanic said it could be the fork bushes this time, and those could have been done first time..  :angry2:   methinks although I really like the bike, I see another make on the horizon....:rolleyes:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Mates GSX600r  did this also ,  OEM seals ..... fault lay in the fork tube,,,,,

dunno john but are you sure there isn't too much oil in there?

Well M8, one can only hope the mechanic knew his job!!  I suppose when I've cooled off I'll give it one more go, :rolleyes:

Mates GSX600r  did this also ,  OEM seals ..... fault lay in the fork tube,,,,,

Problematic fork tube!,  Thats possibility I suppose, 

if the bushes are worn, it creates movement and forces the seal into positions it wasn't designed to do.

could happen to any bike, if you have a main stand, put it on that and try to rock the lower forks fore and aft to detect any movement

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that John, if you have bought a dog then take it back, don't matter who made it Yam Honda or Suzi if it's wrong then walk away. Don't blame the maker for a bad bike sometimes it just is. Loads of guys on here have had the Thundercat and never had a major problem with them but there's always going to be one bad apple.

I agree with slice. Bearing in mind the bike is 16yrs old. Might not have much mileage on it but you dont the POs riding style. Dont be put off the bike. I dont imagine the fork bushes (phosphor bronze?) will cost much, so set aside a day and strip the forks down. Look for any bends, kinks or ripples in the stanchions. If straight, rebuild using the new bushes and seals. Fill with fresh measured oil and when complete do not fully tighten all bolts, rather when assembled hold on the front brake and bounce it up and down. This should get all components lined up true. Then finish off tightening everything up. Bobs your proverbial.

• Like 1

Also, be sure your mechanic *is* a proper mechanic and not just a trained fitter... may sound cruel, but half the "mechanics" in Reading are just fitters.

As mentioned, you could have the greatest bike in the world but if the previous owner(s) abused it then there's no telling how bad it may be. You should have seen my old Dragstar during its last days...!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online