Free Windows 10

Grouch
This post is 3252 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

(Sorry about all these tech posts) Turned on my laptop and on the bottom icon bar there was an unfamiliar Windows symbol. I clicked on it and it's a free Windows 10 download. It's the full system as well. I read about this ages ago and was waiting for t but forgot all about it. Was debating whether or not to get it as I like and am used to the one I have but thought I might as well move forward as I'm currently on Windows 7. Check your computers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Reserved mine Grouch, if nothing else you will have the latest in a long line of O/S from M/Soft, I have Win 7 Ultimate on my machine and truly hate windows 8.1 but this new one should be a much better prospect.

Whats the catch ? lots of add on- advertizments ?

I think it's just to get one over on Apple. Plus they'll make cash on selling apps.

• Like 1

I think they will start charging for a lot of things. From what I hear W10 will be the last version of windows to be released under a traditional major version model. So online updates are going to be important - maybe even chargeable. Then you have O365 and apps as you say.

I got Velux Windows, dogs bollocks if you ask me!only problem is that on some days its hard to see through all the fog and they are pretty crap at night, but as soon as the sun comes up its the best windows you can get.

• Like 1

MS makes most of its money from the OEM suppliers, (The computer makers, selling licences to them) so in the long term by keeping as many people on Windows as they can by offering a free update they hope to reep the benefits by more people buying new computers/tablets/phones with Windows installed in the future.

Plus they are trying to reduce the old systems support. XP hasn't been supported for over a year (the NHS brought an addition year of support for a lot of money as most of their systems used it). Converting windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users to 10 for free means that MS and developers will be able to just focus on 10 functionality. 10 is supposed to be able to be used on all gadgets so PCs, tablets and phones so people who "fully convert" may see a lot of the same functions on different pieces of kit they may own.

I quite like 8.1 but XP and win 98 were my 2 favourites.

Mint Linux (other Linuxes/Linii are available), free all the time.

Free, yes... but Linux/Ubuntu, etc are only of any real use if you're into programming and coding.

The vast majority of apps and programs I want to use have issues running on OSes outside of Windows.

Win8 & 8.1 are pretty naff overall.

I'd take Vista over MacOS any day, but the best ones for my uses remain XP and 7.

Ah your all be fucked when Skynet kicks off............have you all not seen Terminator!!!?? computers will be the end of us all

Ah your all be fucked when Skynet kicks off............have you all not seen Terminator!!!?? computers will be the end of us all

Clearly *you* haven't seen The Terminator series, or at least T2 - Skynet went live on "August 29th, 1997"!!! :lol:

As I recall, that day was pretty uneventful, unless you lived in the village of Rais in Algeria.

T3 has the actual Fucked Date as being July 24, 2004, but even less happened on that day!

Have yet to see what mess the latest movie comes up with, given that it's a reboot and all...

T2 has to be the best sequel of all time.

But as a movie, it's god-awful!!