FJ1200 3CV changed front pads - now brakes like shit

DutchFJ1200
This post is 3516 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Gents,

If i didn't know any better I'd thought my dics are severely warped but they weren't before I changed pads.

Juddering and just plain bad and worse at low speeds.

My money is on poor quality pads from Wemoto

Thoughts ?

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Did you check the pins that the pads ride on for wear groves?

You didn't mention what type of pads you installed,cheap pads well you get what you pay for,they could not be seating even with the rotor

cheap pads are real crap.

I got some cheapies for my car and they never wore down! all the wear took place on the disks they were that hard.

changed them for Brembo disks and OEM pads :thumb:

You depend on these to save your life.

How much you value your life is shown by how much you spend.

I always advise getting the best you can afford!!!

Pulsing through the brake lever when braking would indicate warped discs, you could also mount them on a rotating holder such as a lathe chuck and run a DTI across them to check deflection.

Try cutting a groove in the centre of the face of the pad top to bottom about half way through the pad material, this used to work on pads that juddered when I worked on cars, seems that it eases the pad and stops it grabbing to hard, does not affect the braking just allows the pads to seat better and quicker, use a standard hack saw blade not anything bigger tho.

You depend on these to save your life.

How much you value your life is shown by how much you spend.

I always advise getting the best you can afford!!!

Couldn't agree more and I always go sort of middle of the road for all parts i.e. cheap is nasty vs. clad in gold leaf.

Stripped the whole lot and there are rough patches on the pads rather than a smooth surface all over - and they have the slot in the middle.

It looks like the dics were going against the grain of the pad.....odd.

Changed left to right and back to front and it feels a lot better already.

New scintered pads will go in this evening anyway.

I've used low cost Wemoto pad in other bikes (never my own) and they have been okay but they wasnt ultra high performance by any stretch of the imagination.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online