FJ1100, any good? and what to watch out for?

wild foamy
This post is 3541 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well the interview went well, they're very interested in having me in on Saturdays :)

Also the FJ looks good but is showing it's age, gonna leave it to simmer for a while and see if they'll come down a bit more on the price...

hi foamy,get hold of a copy of classic motorcycle mechanics, APRIL 2013.there's a great writeup by phil hacker who runs the fj club.he says ,camchains good for 100,000 miles,camshafts never wear out,piston rings good for 180,000 miles.alternaters and starters never a problem.biggest problem will be the carbs if the bikes been stood to long.he also says the earlier models were built to a higher standard up to 1990 is best.check out www.fjclub.co.uk.i recon £,1000 for the fj1100 if it's in reasonable nic is a deal.

Cheer's Preload, I'll look out for one of those on ebay!! :crazy:

LOL. Good luck with that.

It's not an uncommon set of mods anyway, so you may well find one. I think the Owners Club has a couple available. If not, they can sort you one easy as!

So avoid the models that have 300,000 clocked... and there are a few.

50k is barely broken in for these things.

£1200 will buy you a pristine 3CV model (as in, there is one for sale right now) with touring screen, hot grips, Hagon shock, custom seat, engine bars, fancy exhaust, luggage rack, Scottoiler and all the trimmings.

My own tatty, beat-up Battle Bitch cost me £950 and was professionally valued at £1800, FFS!!

These things DO hold their value, parts are cheap and plentiful, they're a dream to work on, cost very little to run (even I can afford it) and if you don't stop flapping and just get one, I'mma kill you in the face!!

I'm not new to Fj's Task. I wouldn't buy one I'd make one since a mate & I used to work on them in the early 90's, most of them are poorly maintained but look clean. I agree price wise they have reached there level but for some reason Yamaha's don't hold there value like Honda's which is beyond me!!

I have fond memories of Fj's but I'd only buy one now if it was really cheap now as I have moved on and owned an FJR since 2002.

Well after a visit to tasky today im going to wait it out and get a 1200, unless the dealer drops the price on the 1100.

Time to start getting rid of the cars now :)

• Like 1

most of them are poorly maintained but look clean. I agree price wise they have reached there level but for some reason Yamaha's don't hold there value like Honda's which is beyond me!!

I have fond memories of Fj's but I'd only buy one now if it was really cheap now as I have moved on and owned an FJR since 2002.

Only the eBay ones. I'm finding a lot better at fairer prices on places like the FJOC, if not too cheap especially with club servicing (worth its weight in gold, IMO).

A good one can be pretty cheap and often includes a shedload of nice extras.

Never quite fell for the FJRs myself, though. The 13 Pans felt more comfortable to me, for some reason.

The Pan13 is very comfortable better than the FJR however the FJR is more powerful, handles better, better mpg, etc and most important doesn't wobble

Mine full comp is £66 but that's old fart rates !! :biglaugha: Oh plus leathers ? and helmet.

Nice one Foamy, just goes to show that not all bikes are mega expensive to run. :jossun:

Er Finnerz, going from a 125 to the 1200 is a bit of a leap mate but we all need a goal ! Buy one and do it up while your working your way towards it. :jossun:

Er Finnerz, going from a 125 to the 1200 is a bit of a leap mate but we all need a goal ! Buy one and do it up while your working your way towards it. :jossun:

I'm on a full licence mate with a 675 and a 650

Oh sorry mate only saw the DT125 on your list.