Ron Haslam Race School

neversaydie
This post is 3632 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

62 years old, never even sat on a sports bike, let alone been near a race track. Own a cruiser and a mid 80s road bike.

Just wanted to have a go though, before senility well and truly kicks in, so started to drop enough hints prior to last Christmas, when the usual "what would you like for Christmas" questions are in the air.

Lo and behold, the Good Lord provideth the Premier Course, and I duly turned up a couple of weeks ago at Donington Park, to hoon round on someone elses bike.

In reality, its not like that. From first signing on, to walking out at the end, I cant recollect in my life coming across such a well organised, slick, smooth, professional, and courteous operation.

Sure, riders were turning up with their own leathers etc, some had been before, a small minority (like me) had no experience of racing before, but right from the staff fitting me out with racing kit, to the photographers at the end, I never felt at any stage that the staff had any other objective but to see that I both fully enjoyed the experience, and gained knowledge and confidence that would improve my road riding skills

Sign on completed, kit collected (and all was provided for those of us that had none), changed out of civvies and into race leathers etc

Breifing session followed, track etiquette, rules and regs, all carried in a relaxed atmosphere, even though I was apprehensive, the simple things like DONT DROP THE BIKE

Format goes like this, the group (14 riders of varying experience) splits into pairs, as evenly matched as is possible so as not to hold any rider up, each pair under the guidance of one instructor for the whole of the course. 3 track sessions, each of approx 15 minutes length, 45 minutes total

Not long enough you say! Oh yes, I may have managed another couple of laps, but the adrenalin had been pumping and although I was exceeding my own expectations by now, I knew I was tiring.

First session, get on the bike (Honda CBR600RR, what a fabulous piece of engineering), follow the instructor, took us around at a pace sufficient to allow us (me) to get to know the bike, and the track, read the braking/turn in/apex points

De-briefing session, any questions/everbody comfortable etc, again in a wondefully relaxed atmosphere. Intake of fluid, it was a great day weather wise.

Back out for second session. I was beginning to get some confidence now, and started to realise that I would have to make a serious misjudgement to tip the bike over, its roadholding capabilities appeared endless as I began to brake later, lean further, and take off again earlier. One cock up on this session though, cocked up changing down as I approached the "Esses", slipped it into neutral by mistake, lost the momentum, so carried on the same line onto the tarmac run off, turned around to face the right way, and waited for the Marshall to flag me back on. Flagged back on, and rode off trying to catch my partner and instructor, got perhaps half way around and was "picked up" by another instructor, one af several "spares" that wait at the trackside for similar greenhorns making cock ups. Then had half a session of one to one with this guy, who seemed to pull me around, challenging me to step up, but not so much as to make me feel out of my capability. Marvellous session

De-briefing session, fluid intake, well on a high, not felt like this since my first shag. Before going back for final session, weight shifting techniques explained and demonstrated in the pits

Back out, final session. Cant really explain how I felt, excited/elated eager to get back out there and try to put it all together for the last 6 or 7 laps

I absolutely put everything into that last session, so much so that my partner was now holding upin the bends, and I have to say that the bike was fantastic, and I diont doubt that in the end I wasn't capable of taking to its limits

At the final de-brief, the group gave feed back to the school on the day, and each rider received a grading, having been assessed during the course by their respective instructors on entry/exiting corners, control/braking/confidence/consistency and style.

I had such a fantastic time overall, it took me several days to come back down, and I will be returning for another go later on in the year

If anyone's never done it before, I would recommend it to you, its great fun, is superbly organised, on terrific bikes, and has improved my road riding confidence

• Like 3

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

great write up,i wanted one for my 50th but pops said it was dangerous :crazy:

approx cost would be great, Donnigton's a great track and saw the 500 GP there in '87.

Cadwell seems a good place to ride too.

really good review NSD I enjoyed reading that. approx price ?

The Premier Course that I did was £295, and that included all of the gear, I took nothing. The goody bag has a 10% off voucher for for a repeat visit, valid for this summer and next

The Elite (Fireblades and 1 to 1 tuition) is £395

They also run courses for teens

great write up,i wanted one for my 50th but pops said it was dangerous :crazy:

approx cost would be great, Donnigton's a great track and saw the 500 GP there in '87.

Cadwell seems a good place to ride too.

It WAS, putting that ruddy hairpin in maggots was criminal. Donnington is a better track.

Thanks for the review NSD, really interesting might try that myself if I can pry the money out of the wife's purse? Do they have any problems with OLD guys and I have a back injury so what if anything will that do to the likelyhood of my getting involved? I know your not associated with them just wondering if there are people they WONT take.

Thanks for the review NSD, really interesting might try that myself if I can pry the money out of the wife's purse? Do they have any problems with OLD guys and I have a back injury so what if anything will that do to the likelyhood of my getting involved? I know your not associated with them just wondering if there are people they WONT take.

Cant really comment as I dont know the extent of your injury. The only qualifications that I can recall are that you are able to ride a motorcycle and are able to change gear

I didnt find the riding position as uncomfortable as I thought it might be. Mate of mine went last year, one guy on his course aged 72

And me, will give them a call. Thanks. :jossun:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online