brake bleeding please help!!!

dsb2014
This post is 3682 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

might be a daft question but ive done my head in all day lol. ive changed my front caliper topped up the master undone the nipple pulled the lever tightened the nipple released the lever and so on and so all the time keeping the master topped up but no fluid comes out of the nipple. am i doing this right or do i need to carry on doing this til the fluid appears ????

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

pump the lever several times, when you feel some resistance (ie before it hits the handlebar), hold it there and then and only then undo the nipple and allow the lever to hit the bars...hold it there, close the nipple...and so on, you wont have to pump the lever following this, just do it as you have been doing.

This seems to be happening more. In the old days you could squeeze the lever, untighten the nipple, squeeze and tighten the nipple a few times whilst keeping the reservoir topped up and the job would be a good 'un.

Some people now push the brake fluid into the nipple and fill it the "opposite" way by using a large syringe (LINKY off fleabay).

Sometimes you can get the fluid to go through by a set of rapid pumps on the lever. It seems that once it starts off, it is fine but it may take pumping it a few times.

just seen a 1 man brake bleeding kit im trying to work it to before i buy it. its from halfords seems cheap for the hard work it says it can save. its got a 1 way valve on to stop air going back in the bleed line connected to the nipple. im wondering if i would attach the bleed line to the nipple open it and pump like feck keeping the master filled and wen the fresh fulid comes out tigthen it back up job done. does this sound right ???

cheers for helping fellas appreciate it

Probably not the safest way but I had issues bleeding mine. Using a clear tube over the nipple I sucked it through til I could see it coming.

Tastes like shit and made my lips tingle but it worked!

....Using a clear tube over the nipple I sucked it through til I could see it coming.

Tastes like shit and made my lips tingle but it worked!

All good practice though Andrew.

Haha! Just re read what I put.... maybe I could have phrased that slightly differently!

• Like 1

SO what your saying Andrew is that he has to give his bike a "blow job" to get the fluid through is that right? Fuck that for a game of soldiers if it needs sucking then it can go on the scrap heap!!!!! :biglaugha: :biglaugha:

• Like 2

I could never get my XJ600 to bleed properly the 'conventional' way as the seals collapsed slightly when all the pressure was dumped from the system, ended up bleeding it backwards with a syringe full of brake fluid on the nipple, empty the syringe through the nipple and it will push the air bubbles out of the top of the master cylinder (be sure to have the master cylinder covered with a bit of rag or something to stop brake fluid spurting all over your paintwork)

just seen a 1 man brake bleeding kit im trying to work it to before i buy it. its from halfords seems cheap for the hard work it says it can save. its got a 1 way valve on to stop air going back in the bleed line connected to the nipple. im wondering if i would attach the bleed line to the nipple open it and pump like feck keeping the master filled and wen the fresh fulid comes out tigthen it back up job done. does this sound right ???

cheers for helping fellas appreciate it

I bought something like that a number of years ago. A length of hose about 10" long with one end blanked off and that same end had a small slit cut into it. The blanked end was placed in a jar with some fluid (ensuring the fluid covered the slit, ahem), then you pumped away to your hearts content

It was quicker than trying to pump it by hand!

:) :) ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online