YBR chain came off!

Trooper
This post is 3656 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This is more an opportunity for you to laugh at me than me asking for advice.

Was on my way to college today, my friend was driving behind me. I pull out onto a roundabout and start accelerating towards an exit that goes onto a big bridge. BANG. No power. Manage to quickly run up the slip road with it and put it in a bus stop, after frantically waving my arms around to indicate a breakdown, since my bike has no hazard lights. Chain has came off and completely jammed itself. Had to call a motovlogger for help who's number I happen to have :icon_redface1:

Not a good experience when you've been riding for 2 weeks.

http://youtu.be/5BRDa9UhdpA?t=2m25s

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

your very fortunate ,

the chain quite often jams up and spits you off.

i hope it's only the chain and not the sprocket as was in my case, it left it's mark in the clutch cover.

then my mate who was riding behind me just managed to dodge my flying sprocket.

as neversaydie said, theres always a reason .

and this is a lesson to be had. :idea:

the reason my sprocket came loose was because i let a motorcycle mechanic fit my chain and sprocket as i was doing a twelve hour week so had no time to do it myself. on investigation it was found (by myself) that he had neglected to locate the sprocket washer and it worked itself loose.

it wouldn't have happened if i would have done the job myself.

i hope you learn something from this post. :thumb:

as neversaydie said, theres always a reason .

and this is a lesson to be had. :idea:

the reason my sprocket came loose was because i let a motorcycle mechanic fit my chain and sprocket as i was doing a twelve hour week so had no time to do it myself. on investigation it was found (by myself) that he had neglected to locate the sprocket washer and it worked itself loose.

it wouldn't have happened if i would have done the job myself.

i hope you learn something from this post. :thumb:

Damn Kev your pushing the limits there...

• Like 1

shit man. did you manage to sort it out at the roadside?

Thankfully yes we managed to budge it and get it back on the sprocket, took us both like. There's a bike dealer at the other end of the bridge where I broke down so he followed me behind in case it happened again and the garage tightened my chain for me for free. They did say I need a chain and sprocket kit as soon as possible though so that'll be something I probably get next week.

• Like 1

That chain has already come off once. Chains dont come off because they are slack they come off because they are worn out.

I was badly cut, my bikes engine cases were smashed and I very nearly came off.Thanks to a bad chain. When I was 16.

Probably get next week doesent cut it. That chain could indirectly kill you. Get it fixed.

That chain has already come off once. Chains dont come off because they are slack they come off because they are worn out.

I was badly cut, my bikes engine cases were smashed and I very nearly came off.Thanks to a bad chain. When I was 16.

Probably get next week doesent cut it. That chain could indirectly kill you. Get it fixed.

It was extremely slack. To the point where it flopped around and you could pull it down about 15cm. The garage told me that was exactly the reason it came off and that there wasn't much risk of it happening again after they'd tightened it. They said the fact it's old didn't help but I've got time to get it fixed before I'm at any major risk.

Up to you, I have had the experience and passed it on, it hurt a lot and cost me money and time off work.

Its your life/leg/money.

If it happens to you I will say I told you so. Although I truly hope it doesn't.

Man that sucks.. The chain on my DT came off the other week, built up and got wedged between the swing arm and the bolts on the sprockets.. So hard to get out I had to literally pull for a bit if slack then stand on it to free it

• 3 weeks later...

Since this thread is active again I'll update on what happened.

Simple. Bought a DID chain and sprocket kit, and a friend helped me install it. Checked the tension and I'm keeping on top of lubing it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online