Security for my new bike?

Turbotez
This post is 3694 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok so if you saw my intro post you will know I'm brand new to this exciting world of bikes!

I could do with some suggestions as to what to use to stop scum liberating my new bike!

I'm guessing the previous person in my house was a biker as there is some sort of ground anchor in the garage floor so what I need is something for securing it at home in the garage and something for when I'm out and about and at work please.

Go! ;-)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A good decent bike chain will do the trick for both locking the bike to the ground anchor and you can take it out with you to lock up when you park up.

Bikes are often stolen to order, for parts or to meet demand.
125s and Sports bikes are most popular, in all three categories. Tatty or heavily customised bikes are harder to sell.

If a thief really wants it and has the tools (such as a plasma torch), they will get it... but that's what your insurance is for. Your job is to make it harder and more hassle than it's worth for the average/casual thief.

Garage alarm - Brilliant things, these!!

Cover - More useful when parked on the street, but if they can't see what's under there it means they can't just drive past and case it/clock it.

Disclock - Additional security, especially if you get one with a disc detainer lock. Actually pretty hard to cut, impossible to pick or jimmy with a screwdriver.

Immobiliser - Stops someone from screwdriver-ing your lock and riding off. May also be set up to limit hot-wiring. Some can be problematic though and fail even when you're riding.

Bike alarm - Makes a loud noise if someone messes with your bike. Useful if you are nearby and can get out there with a cricket bat, or something!!

Chain - Put this through a part of the bike that isn't easily removable, ie the frame rather than a wheel. Keep the chain well off the ground so they can't use the floor to brace bolt cutters. Again, try and get a lock that has a shrouded bolt and a lock that is hard to pick/force.

Thanks for that very detailed reply! I'm gonna like this place!!! Any recommendations as to chains and disclocks? Will look into garage alarms but it's very quiet around here and it's a cul-de-sac but we do have pikeys steel collections come down. Seen some oxford branded chains and locks at halfords (I know but it came up in Google lol) but not really sure of brands. Is there any brands that the name alone will deter thieves?

Oxford are okay..... bit run-of-the-mill, though.

Almax chains are pretty damn impossible to bolt-crop, but the Squire padlock they come with is fecking easy to pick open, though. Try and get something like an Abloy disc detainer padlock for it.

Keep an eye out for stuff that's Thatcham/insurer approved too, as it can lower your premium

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

My bike has an alarm and immobiliser, I use a mammoth security chain with shielded lock, a disk lock and I also always put on the bikes steering lock, and it is covered when at home locked to the ground anchor in the garage.

My bike has an alarm and immobiliser, I use a mammoth security chain with shielded lock, a disk lock and I also always put on the bikes steering lock, and it is covered when at home locked to the ground anchor in the garage.

That sounds like a good plan. Will have a look into an alarm. Are disc locks size specific?

don't let it put you off ,

that is extream.

he would look a fool doing that in the street.

and get a clip round the ear for the show..

just use a barrel type chain , they are awkward to work on..

Nice one. I'm not nieve and know if they want it they will take it, just want to deter the common scrote from taking my pride and joy for a burn.

So far I'm planning on an oxford screamer disc lock, a chain of some sort anchored to the garage floor then alarms on the garage door and swords in the house if I hear anything ;-)

Will have a look into an alarm. Are disc locks size specific?

Some disclocks come in two or three different sizes, but most bike shops will let you test-fit it if your bike is parked right outside.

Xena disclocks have alarms on them as well, which is pretty cool.

then alarms on the garage door and swords in the house if I hear anything ;-)

Swords... swords are good. Tasky likes his swords... and cudgels and Quarterstaves and bilhooks and flails and threshalls and, and, and.... OK, I'll shut up now!! :lol:

If you fit a disc lock get one of the springy reminder things.

According to the AA most front end damage is caused by people forgeting they have a disc lock on.

If you fit a disc lock get one of the springy reminder things.

According to the AA most front end damage is caused by people forgeting they have a disc lock on.

Oh come on, who'd be so stupid as to try and ride off with the disc lock on?? :blush::eusa_whistle:

• Like 2

Oh come on, who'd be so stupid as to try and ride off with the disc lock on?? :blush::eusa_whistle:

Not you of course. Blonde moments only happen to men.

• Like 2

Always put the disclock behind and right up against the brake caliper, for this exact reason.

We had this rider in a club I once belonged to - Rode a clapped out NTV. Hopped on, revved the nuts up off it, and roared away... forgetting that he'd put the disclock right *in front* of the caliper.

He got about 7 feet along the road, before it had a fit and flipped him off, in front of a few hundred onlookers outside the Ace Cafe!!

:) Might have to use that one at a later date...

..thanks god men have just moments.

also happening to me with the AJS in 2012, but I was lucky because my bike was in garage and I put the disclock under brake. my disclock are black, this is why most of disclocks are hiviz painted(green or orange), so people like me can see it :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online