clutch cable snapped, what would you do?

rjw99
This post is 3914 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yep that is brutal... have decided to practice some clutch-less shifting. Managed to downshift once without clutch on my way home yesterday.

The upchange is easy. For the downchange you need the revs much lower than you expect. Just above idle if you can manage it.

I got a unit and trailer back from plymouth without a clutch. Thats a 16speed 400hp truck and trailer. Admittedly empty but still a challenge. Fitters wouldnt believe it till they checked the time on the fault code.....

nice one Ttasky.. im eating again :shakeno: .MAKI-Ds this time., you put me right off my diet...

There are enough cunts doing stupid shit out there to fuck us up without our own doing it too. If we can make ours safer and so save other lives, then I'd have you puking your own colon up in order to make it happen!!

Actually, you keep scoffing Mickey D's, you'll likely puke your colon up anyway... at least go to Buggery King, man!!

Crazy...

On the plus side it seems a few of us have read this thread and started learning clutch less shifting. I was trying it out on my fz6, downshifting was simple and easy enough to do smoothly every time. Although I found up shifts difficult.. It just doesn't physically shift, I managed it a couple of times by blipping the throttle slightly but seemed like luck.

The upshift needs more rpm and positive movements with the lever. Wait till the bike is on power above maybe 7 or 8 thosand and press firmly on the lever.

When you shut the throttle breifly the gear will change.

Try this......er on a private road eh.

Pull off get 1st out the way then wide open throttle. To the stops then let the limiter cut the power so you shift, same pressure on the lever. I gaurantee you will never have had your bike accellerate that fast.

Just make sure you've got a firm grip when you do it. The first time I tried it the bike nearly shot out from under me :eusa_doh:

... your genitalia and right leg have been mashed.

Ow... :icon_eek:

Did a few clutch less up shifts today on my XT, got smoother after each try. Down shifts are still a bit rough and jumpy, I think I really need to let the revs drop for it. Any adverse side effects of clutch less shifting?

If done properly no. Done badly it can cause premature issues with the selector forks. But you need to be proper ham fisted to cause that.

Tried a few clutchless up shifts earlier on way home from work, found them quite easy!

Not tried going down yet though, maybe tomorrow

Tried a few up and down today found it quite easy - smoother going up! Can't believe the difference it made on acceleration even on my old 125! Not sure about starting off though in first if I were to lose my clutch and I didn't manage to engage neutral at all. At least I know I can do this and I should be able to get home without killing anyone

Woo getting the hang on clutchless shifts up and down, relatively smooth too. Same as Andrew though, I actually managed to shift to neutral and come to stop, but no idea how I would go from neutral to first in the even I didn't have a clutch cable.. Think I'm going to give up learning this soon though as im sure the bike is fine but it feels wrong.. Like I'm going to break it :P