Finally gone to far

Grouch
This post is 3991 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Been thinking of putting a 250 in it haha

Are you drunk the suspension would need up grade,the hassel of wireing ,cdi,exhaust just not worth it.

Just grab that 300 motor and stuff it in ,realy just a few hours of work and your back in the race again. Save the old eng for parts or part it out and recoupe some cash

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Was joking dt, I would have to be a skilled metal worker to change mounts etc. I think that's what I'll do put a new engine in, a friend has agreed to help me. Just skint at the moment.

Would sell it for the right price though.

G you have not actually said what the problem was. The garage said it would cost a mint to split the cases which is true.

If it is just time making it expensive brake out the spanners. Cos i have had a gearbox sieze years ago on a 50 thank god. Fancy locking the rear wheel at 40mph. Not fun. Pulling the clutch does nothing as the gearbox is after the clutch.

Anyho whining will get you nowhere. You can step up and fix it or bail. If you were closer i would happily tear it down with you. I bet its fixable fairly simply once your in there. Change from 100notes i bet doing it yourself.

think this could be your best option, if you open it up and its totally F##ked you can still go down the route of replacing motor or break it for parts, if it means as much to you as i think it does I wouldn't let it go without at least trying.

I'm going to agree with cinic and tommy worth opening up the clutch cover and checking the detent, could just be a broken spring.

Will the bike take 1 st gear and move and it's just the long travel that wrong? Come on Grouch give us more to work with other than" it's broken",if it takes gear and holds the gear then it's got to be a simple fix. Just need more info to try and figure it out. How about a video.

I know you trust the shop but I wonder if your not putting 1 of thier kids through collage.

How did this happen grouch"o :eusa_doh: , lack of oil is about the only way to fuck a box,,, i bet the selector pawl is worn or the return spring weak,

its on the outside of box, behind the clutch cover,,,

Well if the shift drum will turn to get 2-3 and then all else is to far for the selctor to find then I would look there first

I would be pulling the clutch cover and checking the internal linkage.

See if you can directly opperate the selector drum. Less than an hours work to get that far. Including a cup of tea and washing your hands.

I wonder if the shift shaft weld has cracked and alowing the shaft to rotate slightly inside the selector.

Come on Grouch it's broken now just open the clutch cover and look, try what Cynic and blackhat sugested,get some picts and we can figure this out I don't think you tranny is f##ked and you will be pissed if you change the motor and find out it was just a broken spring.

Worse case you can bolt it back together and keep riding it like that.

I am going to have a look guys. Been consulting my manual and you don't need to remove the engine to get to the clutch etc. I am going to have a look tomorrow.

Good on you Grouch! don't be scared to get the tools out.

Come on...............how can you brake some thing thats broken?

And further more your a bloke, your meant to be in a cold shed / out on the drive with oil under your nails, rust in your face with a screw driver in the mouth and a lump hammer close to hand.

WHERE BEHIND YOU MAN! DON'T GIVE IN.

Sorry to hear that yet more shit has gone down Grouch...

But good on you for giving it a try - so many people on the forum willing to help you out!

It's strange because my dad is a great mechanic who can fix anything from engines to washing machines, my grandad passed away a few weeks ago and at his funeral they were saying what a great engineer he was who worked at power stations and for the council.

And I can only just about change a lightbulb. I must be the milk mans haha.

• Like 1

Could you get your dad to help out? Not sure how close you live to him.

Glad to hear that your going to delve into your engine and find out what's wrong with it, just take your time and it should be easy, getting the covers off is the easy bit knowing what's wrong is the hard part, look in your manual to see what should be there and then compare the two to see what actually is there, it should be obvious when you have it in bits. It's possible that it's just something that has jumped out of place so DON'T take anything off until you know it's where it should be. I bet it's something easy like a broken spring or a selector that has got stuck. Be nice to hear how you got on, if your not sure take a photo and put it up on here so those that know your bike can see what might be the problem. We are all holding our breath here waiting to see what happens. :jossun:

It's strange because my dad is a great mechanic who can fix anything from engines to washing machines, my grandad passed away a few weeks ago and at his funeral they were saying what a great engineer he was who worked at power stations and for the council.

And I can only just about change a lightbulb. I must be the milk mans haha.

Could you get your dad to help out? Not sure how close you live to him.

probably not the same milkman anymore. lol :fingerwave:

• Like 1

I've had enough of the fucking thing. I have put the bike on Ebay. I have spent too much time and money on it and just have to accept I bought a shit bike through lackl of knowledge. The problem was the bike is seven years old and has had six owners who have obviously ragged the fuck out of it and abused it to death. I think I paid too much for it to start with (£1300) I just wanted a bike and rushed into buying one. This is definately a lesson learned. I have gone from loving the bike to hating the sight of her. Very pissed off now.

Anyway next on the list is a WR 125 X, because of all the cost and farce the XT has cost me it has delayed me getting a full licence and a 2T. Anyway the bike is on eBay. I'll post a link in the for sale section.

I've had enough of the fucking thing. I have put the bike on Ebay. I have spent too much time and money on it and just have to accept I bought a shit bike through lackl of knowledge. The problem was the bike is seven years old and has had six owners who have obviously ragged the fuck out of it and abused it to death. I think I paid too much for it to start with (£1300) I just wanted a bike and rushed into buying one. This is definately a lesson learned. I have gone from loving the bike to hating the sight of her. Very pissed off now.

Anyway next on the list is a WR 125 X, because of all the cost and farce the XT has cost me it has delayed me getting a full licence and a 2T. Anyway the bike is on eBay. I'll post a link in the for sale section.

Ebay a 125 with only 2 working gears. Be lucky to get 3 maybe 400 notes.

Gearbox issues make a bike nigh on unsellable

Your first stupid idea.

Got two bids so far, how's that stupid? Currently at £550. Your wrong the first stupid idea was buying the bike, the second was spending too much money on it. Quite fucking frankly I am past caring, I am prepared to take a massive loss, I really couldn't care less. Also I can't be arsed stripping it down and selling it in bits. I was offered £500 last night but refused because I want to see the auction out.

The most stupid thing about the whole fucking episode is that the new owner will probably get it sorted very easily and cheaply and have a trouble free time with it.