bike out of winter storage wont start

Dickwad
This post is 4003 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got my XVS 1100 out of the shed yesterday, charged the battery, re-fitted it, and it wont start, checked the fuel flow, that was fine, checked for a spark and nothing, checked for power to the coils and there is none, with the ignition on there should be at least 12v showing but the power to the coils is 0, it cranks over OK but wont spark, it was fine when i put it away for the winter in September I even rode it into the shed, "anyone got any ideas"??? :eusa_think: what could have happened to it, while its sat there doing nothing, :crazy: Oh and the kill switch, and stand switch work fine, if they didn't it wouldn't turn over.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Should this be in the new members section?

I agree with Acid drop. Check the voltage from the battery to the coil.

• Like 1

I agree with Acid drop. Check the voltage from the battery to the coil.

Doh :eusa_doh: no it shouldnt be here, everything works lights, starter, fuel pump, ignition, neutral light, engine light, everything, but there is no power going to the coils. even tried it with a car battery.

No and it isnt anymore......

mad question but

do you have mice in the garage

check for a broken wire from the battery to the coil

and trace it back from there to where you are getting power

• Like 1

And pull apart all connectors to CDI unit, corrosion with dampness and condencation,,, get a can of switch cleaner,

Welome by the way,, :jossun:

flick the ignition switch back and forth, spraying inside the switches. prob got corrosion inside the bodies preventing connections.

seen quite a few bikes with white corrosion marks on them this year, I think because last year was a wet one, the bikes suffered a bit over winter. I know I have to break out the big guns to shift it! (and that's with a heater under the bike)

It sounds like a kill switch problem also have you a sidestand switch on this model both of these will effect the ign if its the coils.

One thing to check is the motor earthing mounts these can give trouble on older bikes.

mad question but

do you have mice in the garage

check for a broken wire from the battery to the coil

and trace it back from there to where you are getting power

You could be on to something there, I will definitely check the wiring for continuity.

It sounds like a kill switch problem also have you a sidestand switch on this model both of these will effect the ign if its the coils.

One thing to check is the motor earthing mounts these can give trouble on older bikes.

The kill switch, clutch switch and side stand switch are fine, I agree they give trouble but if any of them fail then the starter wont operate, which it does.

The kill switch, clutch switch and side stand switch are fine, I agree they give trouble but if any of them fail then the starter wont operate, which it does.

I may be wrong, but I recall when a workmate jumped on my XVS125 and tried to start it, it turned over but wouldnt fire because the sidestand was down

Thanks for all your help folks. Its going now, :hyper: I pulled apart every single plug, cleaned them all and plugged them back together, now Iv got a spark, Off to Weston-Super-Mere Bike meet :jossun: Thursday evening with a coup;e of mates, ( when i say Mates I don't mean a Pack of 3 ) :babyha: If anyone's going, I will be the one in the black leather jacket.

i have a yamaha 400 max it will fire up if you spray gass in the carbs but will not run had the carbs cleand and only way it starts is spray gass in the carbs any one know how to fix thanx