Sprocket and chain, do it my self?

oscarfs
This post is 4080 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all,

I normally keep my ybr 125 all tucked away under a cover but last week I ended up leaving it in the open for 5 days of rain, poor thing.

Anyway my already knackered chain took a beating and it looks a bit rusty and has a few kinks in it.

The bike has only done 5000miles so should really last more but I really think i better replace the chain and sprocket.

Calling local garages it seems to be between £84 and £100 which, I being tight don't like the sound of.

I think it needs to be done asap because the kinks cause the chain to bounce around and I don't think my 30 mile round daily commute will do it any good.

If I get my self a sprocket and chain from ebay is it realistic for me to put it on and not fuck my bike up?

Most garages will have to order the part in so to be honest I may have to wait till mid next week for it either way unless I am happy to pay the £100.

Any comments people?

Cheers for any help,

Oscar.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You will get a good quality chain and sprockets kit for around £70. If you are already familiar and confident with mechanical things it is a straightforward job. If you get stuck you can always ask for advice on here, but it's not a massive job so not a lot can go wrong.

The job is not too difficult but before you do this, have you tried cleaning and lubing the chain?

What may make the job a little expensive is any tools that you may need to buy. These, obviously, can be reused for your next maintenance job. For a chain and sprocket change you will need a selection of sockets, spanners maybe the odd screwdriver, allen keys(??), something to hold the front sprocket still while you undo the bolt(s) & hammer but you need to check first what kind of chain you have because you may also need a chain splitter. Has the YBR got a center stand because the rear wheel needs to be removed.

The first thing to check your chain and see if you have a split link. This is a link in the chain that can eaily be removed without a chain splitter. If you have one of those, a center stand and someone to hold the bike and press the rear brake then a set of standard tools are all you are going to need. Don't buy cheap tools, they are a waste of money. The Halfords professional range of tools are a good blend of quality and price.

I have some basic tools and a center stand,

I was looking at somthing like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-I-D-Upgraded-Chain-And-Sprocket-Kit-For-Yamaha-2008-YBR125-3502784-/360598993415?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item53f55ffa07#shId

So its about £33, savings of 60 would be worth trying to do it my self I am just a bit dubious about messing it up and my wheel falling off while im going down the A1.

where abouts are you,

and if you were willing to pay a garage a decent chunk of cash, maybe you can use some of what you have saved to get some one a couple of beers and ask them to help/ guide you while you do it

Hey guys well i've screwed my self a little now, I haven't been riding on my bike since last tuesday and the chain has got so fucking tight there is practically no slack. It's all due to the chain kinking up and its seizing up a tad ( ah shit!) so I think i'm going to have to bite the bullet and get it fixed by a garage. My only problem is....how do I get the bike there, the chain is so f ing tight I think it will do some serious damage or snap if I get on it. Any quick ways I could unseize the links just long enough for me to drive a few miles.

Cheers guys.

You can break the chain or take off the rear wheel, with a tin of plusgas and a rag, spray the chain and wipe moving the chain links up and down until they are all free. Clean the chain off of Plusgas and lube and chain the chain as soon as possible. Some people would put the chain in an oil bath but the Plusgas way is quickest.

Some people would put the chain in an oil bath but the Plusgas way is quickest.

I done a lot of motocross years ago and used to oil my chains in an old chip pan/ fryer
it was an old one the wife was throwing out but was great for heating the oil up
which seemed to penetrate the links better being hot and thinner
worked for me

Put the bike on its centre stand, engine in neutral, ignition off. Spin the rear wheel at the same time as spraying on penetrating/release oil, in both directions. Rags or one of those cheap plastic trays under the chain on the floor to catch most of the dripping stuff. Try gently scrubbing the chain with a nylon brush (old tooth brush)as you turn and spray. The chain should after time free up the seized links.

Once free, dry off the above mentioned, then lubrictae the chain generously with engine oil while spinning the wheel. Dry off any excess by wiping. Check and adjust the chain as per the manual, also remember to check and adjust the rear brake if its a drum type, as chain adjustment can alter brake operation.

NEVER, EVER, DO THIS WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING AND IN GEAR

It should have a split link but if you cant find it just get an angle grinder to the rivets and knock the chain off and put one on with a split link job done.

I dont know which model so here.

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/ybr_125_custom/08-09/picture/chain_did_standard_grade/

Bite the bullet and get it sorted.

cut the old chain off. get the sprockets off. change sprockets for new ones. new chain job done....

or as i said before ask if some on here is local and willing to help for a few drinks.... beer is an amazing currency to a man. that way you get it done cheaper and learn a few things and meet some one new and possibly useful....

You will get a good quality chain and sprockets kit for around £70. If you are already familiar and confident with mechanical things it is a straightforward job. If you get stuck you can always ask for advice on here, but it's not a massive job so not a lot can go wrong.

Good advice there Grouch :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle: