First ever breakdown

Grouch
This post is 4087 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Today after 11 months of riding my bike was so fucked I had to rsort to a recovery truck. Luckilky I was covered through my insurance. With MCE I get free breakdown recovery within ten miles. It took three hours for the recovery truck to come and they tried their best to get out of sending one but I got one in the end. It was a bit silly really, a big fuck off recovery truck all for my little 125.

Set off home and there was a clanking clunking metal sound and my back wheel was wobbling to fuck. I was approx 10 miles from home and I knew there was something seriously wrong. I had two options 1) Leave the bike in my girlfriends garage and pay for the motorcycle garage to pick it up which would cost at least £100. 2) isk it and try get home and pray it gets me there.

I chose to ride on and hope for the best. A mile later I realised I could not get home as my bike was incapabale. I phoned RAC and they said I was covered and would be with me within an hour and fifteen minutes. Ten minutes later they phoned to tell me I was not covered as I was more than ten miles away from home and they told me to take it to a garage. I quickly corrected the woman and told her I was just in the distance limit and I am covered through my insurance. She then tried talking me into taking my bike to a mechanics (on a Sunday) silly bitch. Once again I corrected her and explained to her I wanted my bike to be recovered. She then agreed and said that they were sending someone out. Three hours and two phone calls later they arrived.

Once I got home I inspected the bike and determined it was the rear wheel bearings.

The bike coincidently is booked into the garage on Tuesday, also I noticed I need a new rear disc and brake pads.

Thats me skint for the next few months.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Agree with Paul on this one Grouch.

Start learning all about your bike,,,,,, fixing things and maintaining.

This will save you a fortune,,,,, garages will rip ya off.

Ya should of known bearings were coming to an end.

ya could buy a new bike with the money ya save on garages :jossun:

Yeah I know I should do it myself, but while its there I might as well get them done. I'm just getting everything sorted on her once and for all,. then I'll get back to D.I.Y. repais & maintenance.

I am on my second set of rear bearings within a few months, hopefully just coincidence and bad luck. But then maybe there's some kind of design flaw causing this?

2wheels as for knowing they were on there way out there really wasn't any noticeable difference and then next thing i know the back wheel is seemingly bouncing about. So annoying as both times i was too far away from home to push it (i am lucky enough to have an uncle with a pick up truck, so didn't have to wait for RAC or whatever.

In my case i'm blaming flying about on greenlanes and occasionally not managing to dodge potholes. Not too sure what you have been doing to yours though grouch?

I am on my second set of rear bearings within a few months, hopefully just coincidence and bad luck. But then maybe there's some kind of design flaw causing this?

2wheels as for knowing they were on there way out there really wasn't any noticeable difference and then next thing i know the back wheel is seemingly bouncing about. So annoying as both times i was too far away from home to push it (i am lucky enough to have an uncle with a pick up truck, so didn't have to wait for RAC or whatever.

In my case i'm blaming flying about on greenlanes and occasionally not managing to dodge potholes. Not too sure what you have been doing to yours though grouch?

Same here Welshy, they just went in an instant, there was no indication whatsoever they were on their way out. I do rag my bike about and the roads are fucked in my city, pot holes everywhere. It is the first time they have gone since getting the bike 11 months ago.

I am with Paul and Pat. Bearings, a disk change and new brake pads are all pretty simple to an the average person with some bike knowledge and tools. On another note, if the bearings were that bad that they failed, it might account for the chain problem you are having as well.

I have had wheelbearing just die too. Although i think its more to do with you being used to the bike and not feeling the change.

With disk and chain going at the same time they were dead and somebody else riding your bike may have felt it instantly. Even though you couldnt.

If you need a new disk, pads and bearings, you are as well doing it yourself as the wheel will be off anyway.

Remove the wheel, unbolt the disk and with the wheel on a workbench (or kitchen stool) use an old extension bar from a socket set, put it through one bearing until it hits the bearing on the other side of the hub. Then hit the bar with a mallet, moving it round the bearing, and it will pop out. Turn the wheel the other way up and repeat with that bearing. When replacing the new bearing, place it on the housing, and by sitting the OLD bearing on top ot the new one, start tapping it into the housing ensuring you move round the bearing to keep it straight. Repeat on the other side and the jobs a good un*

Fit new disk and pads, replace wheel and you have saved around £100 in labour

* Of course if you have a press or vice, you can press the bearing in.

Grouch, If you must go to the shop ask to sit in and watch the guys at work, it will give you an idea of how to do the jobs in the future

On another note, if the bearings were that bad that they failed, it might account for the chain problem you are having as well.

I would agree with DT on this

if the wheel was even waving slightly for a while it would be enough to destroy the chain

nothing is made the way it used to be

or is that just me showing my age ??

Thanks for the input and advice guys, much appreciated. I am capable of repairing/replacing the disc, pads, and bearings but it would take me much longer than a mechanic and really stress me out, because I know for a fact things would start to go wrong such as screw heads rounding and bolts threading etc. there's a quite a few other jobs that need doing as well so I might as well get it all done while I am there getting the other things sorted. Also I work full time and am in my second year of a full time degree so my spare time is almost non existent.

nothing is made the way it used to be

or is that just me showing my age ??

hahahah when i asked my uncle what was wrong with it he said bearing , but he also said he'd never had one go on him. i don't think he has had a bike any newer then one from the 90's.... most older then that to the best of my knowledge

My first breakdown on my 2 stroke scooter was me running out of petrol. Felt like a right prat as knew it was low but decided to drive past the petrol station. 2 mins later it splutters to a halt. Pushed it back (15 mins) filled up but wouldn't start. Ended up pushing it for an hour before abandoning it overnight. Eventually started the next day after I assume the oil drained off the spark plugs.

hope you're back on the road soon...!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online