It's that time. Who is putting their bikes away?

j0hn
This post is 4140 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have two choices 1) Fire the XT up, 2) Use public transport.

I promised myself I would never use public transport again after getting my bike. Dirty, smelly buses full of chavvy little kids screaming and shouting. Fuck That.

Also I wouldn't be much of a Yorkshireman fretting over a bit of ice, snow, and cold. Haha.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As my bike is my only transport, i ride all year round but if the snow/ice is too bad, i'm not afraid to admit defeat and cadge a lift to work.

This will be the first winter on the ace, so i'll find out how manageable she'll be soon. Smoothness and reading the road is essential at this time of year.

You do have to be a special kind of crazy lol

mike1949, what's it like riding in the snow? I can't imagine it to be any worse than it would be to ride on icy conditions.

I think it's psychological as well, when you're riding along a road and you can see a white frost on it you know there's a big possibility of coming off the bike.

In snow it looks more friendly. Although saying that I have come off in snow but not ice.

Also on my particular route to work I have to negotiate two roundabouts either end of a large superstore and for some reason the twats who built them used some kind of tarmac that gives the appearance of the road being very shiny, therefore looking like a sheet of ice.

Also

When you get up in the morning an see snow you didn't expect it's easy to thing bollocks to it I'll cadge a lift to work or get a bus,

BUT, when you get to work and then it starts snowing you tend to deal with the situation in a different light, i.e. I've got to get home, what do I do. The obvious answer is to ride your bike home slowly and as safely as possible bearing in mind the more you ride the nearer to home you are.

P20-01-10_08491.jpg

The thing that really pisses me off is that when I'm riding very cautiously there is usually some twat in a 4x4 or lorry right my arse and I'm thinking that if I come off my bike their not going to stop and go right over me.

I have have a car, and the luxury of working from home too. I have only been riding since September and when I do go into the office it requires a jaunt over the Pennines and an 80 mile round trip on a 125. What scares me even more is the fact the I leave at 5.30am and can't see much ahead of me thanks to the unlit roads and poor headlight. It's a shame because at the moment I'd feel fine riding home from work, but I don't have the confidence to get there in the morning! The last thing I feel like meeting is some black ice on top of Woodhead Pass in the darkness.

I went out today and felt quite proud of myself, only 1 other biker on the road. It was slippery out but I just took it steady and kept everything as smooth as I could. I live very close to Snakes Pass and not surprisingly I haven't heard the usual hum of sports bikes flocking towards it today!

Overall, do what you feel comfortable doing. For me, I will now only use the bike for easy rides into work, and weekends. I certainly don't want to wait for Spring but will only use my bike when I feel comfortable doing so.

Chicken? Maybe! But I'm going to wean myself into the riding world gently, and I'm thankful I have the luxury to do so.

For those that will continue to ride through winter - good luck and take it easy!

Chicken? Maybe!

Nothing chicken about being smart if you ask me.

I have have a car, and the luxury of working from home too. I have only been riding since September and when I do go into the office it requires a jaunt over the Pennines and an 80 mile round trip on a 125. What scares me even more is the fact the I leave at 5.30am and can't see much ahead of me thanks to the unlit roads and poor headlight. It's a shame because at the moment I'd feel fine riding home from work, but I don't have the confidence to get there in the morning! The last thing I feel like meeting is some black ice on top of Woodhead Pass in the darkness.

I went out today and felt quite proud of myself, only 1 other biker on the road. It was slippery out but I just took it steady and kept everything as smooth as I could. I live very close to Snakes Pass and not surprisingly I haven't heard the usual hum of sports bikes flocking towards it today!

Overall, do what you feel comfortable doing. For me, I will now only use the bike for easy rides into work, and weekends. I certainly don't want to wait for Spring but will only use my bike when I feel comfortable doing so.

Chicken? Maybe! But I'm going to wean myself into the riding world gently, and I'm thankful I have the luxury to do so.

For those that will continue to ride through winter - good luck and take it easy!

You've got a very good attitude Bips, and as Sacha said,

Nothing chicken about being smart if you ask me.

i have a 2smoke for fun ? it ain't fun riding in the snow,

it ain't fun riding in the rain either? so at the moment it's in the shed.

but if it's cold n dry i will bring it out all through winter.

I conquered the 7am roads today! Sad to say it wasn't much of a challenge, but the time will come :D. I'm actually rather excited to try riding on snow. I know I'm not invisible and will probably come off a few times - hopefully not at the worst of times like while being tailgated. To be honest, I'm more worried about doing damage to someone else when coming off. Also, I guess the cost of repairing - if there are damages - won't be as much compared to some of the bikes you guys ride. So I think I understand the need for riders putting them away until Spring apart from the obvious fact of harming yourself.

Am I correct in saying that it's not impossible to go over ice - either straight or a slight lean - as long as you are super smooth with your throttle and balance?

havent had the fireblade out in the winter, but i used to ride the DT50 through the backroads into the next town to get to school, there were some pretty steep residential hills and sharp bends, it was more just a case of using the engine braking as much as i could, slowing down and lowering my feet just incase there was a slip i would atleast give myself a chance of recovering from it, sometimes were would be impatient cars behind me, but that was their problem, my first concern was keeping myself safe and upright

a good set of knobbly tyres helped no end ;) (Y)

... slowing down and lowering my feet just incase there was a slip...

I noticed I've started doing that instinctively now, isn't a bad idea.

When I asked the local mechanic about riding in this weather, as well as the information already posted on this thread, he suggested that I should hose the bike before putting it away for the night as the salt gathered during a ride could really deteriorate it. Only takes a couple of minutes and less hassle if you do so in the long run.

theoretically yes, i prefer to spray mine down and cover everything in ACF50 to protect it, making the salt wet will surely only help it bite into the metal?

Oooh, haven't heard of ACF50. Thanks for the suggestion, just invested in two cans, should last me through winter. Do you apply it after a deep clean and how often do you have to re-apply?

I noticed I've started doing that instinctively now, isn't a bad idea.

When I asked the local mechanic about riding in this weather, as well as the information already posted on this thread, he suggested that I should hose the bike before putting it away for the night as the salt gathered during a ride could really deteriorate it. Only takes a couple of minutes and less hassle if you do so in the long run.

How much riding has he done in winter. Hose it down in freezing conditions. First how. Second how much of your bike will be iced up and lastly the big icy patch you leave may well cause more greif and brokens.

Its a nice idea. Usefull in november to combat the slime but the spray will be better. Then wash it properly as a quick rinse wont shift dried on salt.

Oooh, haven't heard of ACF50. Thanks for the suggestion, just invested in two cans, should last me through winter. Do you apply it after a deep clean and how often do you have to re-apply?

2 cans are you rich :icon_surprised: If you are going to get some buy the pump action type it works out far cheaper.

Warning If anyone is putting there bike on the Sorn system your normal insurance will not cover it as they sell a laid up insurance so beware..

the bike is in the car port and i will bring her out if we get some nice days, drizzle is ok for me but heavy rain just plain annoys me, if it rains when im going home i don't care as you can get dry and warm, but riding to work in the rain is a no no as you cant get dry n warm quick enough no matter how good your wet weather gear is.

Second how much of your bike will be iced up and lastly the big icy patch you leave may well cause more greif and brokens.

Slightly unorthodox but my bike is kept indoors so no real chance of it being iced up :D. But as I was hosing it down, I did think about the icy path this is going to leave so probably won't be doing that again. I'll wait for the ACF50s.

2 cans are you rich :icon_surprised: If you are going to get some buy the pump action type it works out far cheaper.

Heh, I don't really have a lot of expenses so I can afford to splash out on my bike :P. What are these pump action types you speak of?