Fz600 Gulf

drewpy
This post is 2843 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 2 months later...

well I managed to get a cyl head with valves refurbed, 2 1/2 fairings and 2 side fairings for £100 yesterday. Picked them up from Chesterfield on a day off.

and he threw in a new head gasket too :)

so get the fuel tap sorted and should be good to go for easter :)

Did you find the noise in the motor was related to the valve train after the fuel issue ? or just grabed that 1 cause it was cheap and refirbished.

Did you find the noise in the motor was related to the valve train after the fuel issue ? or just grabed that 1 cause it was cheap and refirbished.

the latter :)

• 3 weeks later...

well I just got a bargain XJ600 motor 20 mins away. heard it running on a test bed so I'm gonna fit that instead as I don't need to touch anything...except

it has the later 3 phase perm mag alternator on it with the single coil pickup.

choices are;

1) retro fit the FZ stuff on it

2) use the later generator and get a new igniter and R/R and a little rewire.

any thoughts?

When I did mine many moons ago way back in 1988 I fitted the fz alt I dont remember 100% but prety sure it was a simple r/r job,must have been cause I did the swap in less than a day. I was swaping a 86 fz for a erum? 84 fj (xj your side)The cdi has different maping the fz being the better

The down side to the eng swap is the transmission ratios are different as well,mainly 1st and 6th I think.6th becomes just about usless for anything but crusing no power for over taking.But improves MPG

Ya I read this first then replied to your PM more info in that,if you check out the cams lift/profile lets me/us know and just thought about the Radian 600(might have been the mini v max your side???) it had alot of torque compared to the fz so it must have had different cams as well.Steering rake and seating position but dam that bike was easy to wheeile compared to the fz.

Yam did alot of different things with that motor so mixing different cams ie a xj exhaust and fz intake or oppsite would be interesting and easy to dyno to find the best set up.For example changing my Intake cam on the bandit for a 1989 gsxr 1100 intake is good for 15 hp but a loss/change of torque curve

Your better at the puter stuff run the part numbers and see how many different ones there were.I bet they are all different. as are the cdi's

Ya I read this first then replied to your PM more info in that,if you check out the cams lift/profile lets me/us know and just thought about the Radian 600(might have been the mini v max your side???) it had alot of torque compared to the fz so it must have had different cams as well.Steering rake and seating position but dam that bike was easy to wheeile compared to the fz.

Yam did alot of different things with that motor so mixing different cams ie a xj exhaust and fz intake or oppsite would be interesting and easy to dyno to find the best set up.For example changing my Intake cam on the bandit for a 1989 gsxr 1100 intake is good for 15 hp but a loss/change of torque curve

Your better at the puter stuff run the part numbers and see how many different ones there were.I bet they are all different. as are the cdi's

Known as YX600 Radian over here, early models had brushes for the alternator, later ones brushless

Cracking little bikes, couple for sale over here on the bay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XJ600-YX600-RADIAN-mini-V-Max-/221313157388?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item33874ac90c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1990-YAMAHA-YX600B-RADIAN-8956miles-MOT-Taxed-Swap-swop-p-x-Try-Me-/291033905757?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item43c2f8fa5d

• 2 weeks later...

with this "new" engine I got, Yamaha decided to upgrade their engine to digital ignitions which are not compatible with the FZ system.

Hence I am after an Ignitor marked tid-14-78 3km-01

I can also use the tid-14-79 3lt-00 as I have been assured that that will work too.

Anyone got one for cheap please?

any working alternatives would be nice too eg fzr600!

sorry Tommy, nothing like what i'm after. Its all in the numbers mate

I've tried every combination of my numbers into google and germany/usa have them but at over £100 ouch!

one will turn up, can't be that rare, £100 is about going rate for my bike too! but picked up a spare a while ago for a tenna

just keep seaching mate

• 1 month later...