cold start problem yamaha xj 600n 1996

Lerch
This post is 4247 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys new to this site but hope your knowledge can help. i have a 1996 yamaha xj 600n. The story is i pulled out of a garage with only 3600 miles on the clock. It had been sat in there for seven years.I have done all the usual things on something that has been stood that long. The problem i have is she is a nightmare to start from cold. If i put the choke on she won't even think about starting. the thing is as soon as she starts it runs like a dream. Please help i have run out of ideas!!! Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Lerch, It might be a good idea to do an INTRO (new member section) BEFORE you jump in with a "How can I fix my problem" question, not being nasty it's just nice to know who you are and anything else that you might like to share, it's friendly, you wouldn't just walk up to strangers and start asking questions would you? :jossun:

I might be stating the obvious but I assume you have put fresh petrol in after removing as much of the old juice as you can, including the carbs if possible?

Hi guys new to this site but hope your knowledge can help. i have a 1996 yamaha xj 600n. The story is i pulled out of a garage with only 3600 miles on the clock. It had been sat in there for seven years.I have done all the usual things on something that has been stood that long. The problem i have is she is a nightmare to start from cold. If i put the choke on she won't even think about starting. the thing is as soon as she starts it runs like a dream. Please help i have run out of ideas!!! Cheers

Would you consider making sure the choke is doing what its supposed to as part of the usual things.

Its certainly the place i would start from esp as you say she runs well once she's going.

Hi yes have drained all old fuel stripped carbs and cleaned out the jets as some were blocked. Not sure how to check the choke? All I know if I apply it the engine note changes and she won't even try to fire. Have also replaced spark plugs plus fuel pump and fuel tap. The only way I can make her start up is by turning the idle screw in then she will fire on a few cylinders and eventually pick up and run ok. Any thoughts would be great thank you.

I had one of these from new, and what I found was that when you think you have pulled the choke out all the way, give it a bit more of a tug, as I used to have similar cold start problems until I found out about pulling it a bit more.

Hi Campaman tried what you said still no luck. Am going to pull the carbs off again tomorrow and have another look. Just wish I knew how the choke system works on one of these. Thanks for the tip anyway.

Next time you have the bike started and nice and warm,,,,,,,, pull out the choke,,,,if the bike starts to stutter and nearly conk out then your choke is working.

The choke works like this

put on the choke and this pulls/places a flat plate with a small hole in it accross all 4 carb openings.

This cuts of almost all the air and allows nearly pure fuel into the pistons,

once the bike is warm it will struggle to stay started with the choke on,,,,,,so you have to turn it off alowing the propper fuel an air mix through.

Is your choke pulling the plate accross all 4 carbs ?

If the bike is running perfect when you have it started then id say its your choke.

Make sure to clean and blow through ALL the little holes you see in the carbs,,,,,,not just the jets !

Sounds like your choke is the "push and pull type",,,,,,,,, if this is the case,,,,make sure the engine isnt drawing air through here,,if it is then this will eliminate the choke being on in the first place.

There are 1 or 2 other things but if the bike runs good when its warm and takes throttle fast without hesitating then choke is still number 1 suspect .

Let us know how ya get on !

Well thought I would give an update to the cold start fault on my xj. Stripped the carbs off again and found some muck in there but nothing to bad checked the choke flaps and all seemed to be working ok. Carb cleaned and blew everything out with compressed air. Put the carbs back on and primed the fuel system up. Pulled choke and pressed the start button and did she start NO!! Kept trying to start her but battery started to go flat so went to put a jump pack on the battery on doing so found the earth cable was hot! Checked the earth to the engine and it was rusty. Removed it and cleaned it. Jump pack applied start button pressed and she sort of started first time and then cut out. Tried putting choke on and it just killed it. Wound the idle screw in and she ticked over a bit lumpy until she warmed and and then fine. Anyone got anymore ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am lost. On the up side though took her for her MOT today and after 7 years of siting in a garage and a little TLC from me she past first time with no advises! Well sorry its a bit long winded but hopefully one of you geniuses on here will know exactly what is up with her!!!!!! Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers Lerch

Are you sure you are pulling choke on and not off? (or visa versa) and check if it has a vacuum tube to the fuel tap? Mine had a split so it didnt like starting but appeared to run fine....

You shouldn't be needing the choke at this time of year, the only time I use it is in severe cold weather at six in the morning when temp is round about freezing. Then I only use about half choke.

Mike

Hi Lerch, Mike has a good point choke is only useful if its really cold in this weather you should not need it and if you put it on and it stalls then you know it's working? If you pull the lever and the arm lifts on top of the cabs then it more or less has to be working. :jossun:

Hi guys thought I would give an update on my xj. Well got her all mot taxed and insured went out for a long ride with a friend of mine just incase of any break downs!! She ran great just a tiny bit of vibration that I am putting down to the carbs needing balancing. Got home and left her over night went out in the morning expecting the usual starting problem and guess what she started a little lumpy but she start! Can I explain it or understand it no but she seems to be starting now. Just would like to thank everyone on here who gave me advise and help it's a great site and i hope to speak to all you guys soon hopefully not with and problems with my bike:-)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online