Motorbike overtaking motorbike

DkD
This post is 4310 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I'm after some general opinions ref riding in town / slow moving traffic and bikers overtaking other bikers.

On my daily commute to & from work, if I'm following traffic with no room to filter or overtake (usually in a single lane), I often get a rider either coming to my side and blocking my ability to manoeuvre or trying to get a little ahead of me.

If there is space ahead, I have no problem 'yielding' to a bike willing to go faster then I am but in slow moving traffic isn't there some rule or etiquette? I did my CBT freakin decades ago and remember being told the bike in front has priority as, in general, you (as the rider behind) has a wider view and should allow him/her the space to move about until there is a clear overtaking possibility.

Whilst I always wanted to pretend to be in CHiPS (for the older readers) I'm not keen to have an accident with another biker...

Appreciate your thoughts...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you position yourself in line with the car in fronts offside then there will be no room for the guy to block you in, if however the guy is getting past you then there must have been room for him to filter

Yep, I generally do position myself in the offside. Firstly, so the car can see me in the mirrors and secondly, to be ready to overtake when the opportunity comes.

The 'other' rider comes to my left and buggers about then attempts to cut in (I allow a few feet between myself and the car).. Just for the record I'm not a slow rider or one that delays other road users.

This is a daily occurence not a one off. (and the 'other' rider is generally on a scooter!) it;s starting to piss me off as they aren;t going to gain any distance advantage.

If they want to take risks let them. One thing i have been made aware of in the trucks at work. People who want those extra yards will go for them at all costs. At the risk of there own life and others.

It sounds calous but just allow them the room to have their accident on their own.

Then you will be in the position of calling the ambulance rather than traveling in it.

If they are pissing you off you need to address your own riding. If they are on scoots you will haul them in soon enough anyway.

Trying to prevent idiots being idiots usually causes normal folk to act like idiots. Not good, for you safety or stress level.

There's not really any etiquette, so much as common courtesy and basic rules of the road.

Same as if you're on a tiny Fireblade and filtering at 10mph, when I come up behind you on my MASSIVE bike trying to do 40 - Get moving or get the fuck out of my way. But understand that I will *politely wait* for you to get the fuck out of my way and give you time to find a safe space to pull into, before pootling past and giving you a thank-you wave - THAT is etiquette!

I'm always surprised how a faster, smaller bike is so often ridden by someone who can't manage the same 'close-order' riding that I can on my slower, heavier, MUCH bigger bike - it ain't about how fast your bike can go, it's about how well you ride it!

Anyway - My thoughts, as requested:

1/. Are you riding centre of your lane, in the Dominant position, or are you usually a little over to one side, thus presenting them space to move into? If the latter, try moving more central and denying them that space.

2/. Do they come along side you when you're stopped, or when you're moving above 20-30mph? If they're just passing, let them go - It's only 2 seconds of your time and it helps keep everyone safe around you.

3/. Do they literally come up alongside, or are they still behind and over to one side? If the latter, that's just a habit from riding in groups a lot and is normally perfectly safe.

4/. CHiPS... They look so GAY. Must be those haircuts, heh heh!! :D

With points 1 and 2 there, be aware that not every rider has actually done CBT and not every rider is even sensible. Some are complete pricks, particularly during Summer when all the fucking dickheads come out - These are the biking equivalent of your stereotypical BMW drivers and boy racers, who go everywhere as fast as their vehicle will allow and will manoeuvre into anywhere they think there is space. Stay as clear as you can - There's a reason I rarely see the same riders the following year!

Now... Scooters are most commonly ridden by teenage cocks whose dickhead parents cannot afford to buy them a Fireblade. You know if it's a cock because they're usually wearing tracksuits and trainers, or shorts and t-shirts with optional flipflops and try to ride the same as the Summer Riders described above, but with less skill and a tendency to hit/clip/crash into other vehicles. Give an even wider berth, or (if you're feeling confident) take a road position that further denies them space to cut in.

Once you're moving again, blaze past them and leave them to whatever fate has in store for them.

Also for the record - Scooters are also ridden by Office Girlies (often in all-pink kit that matches their paint job), Office Boys, mild-mannered nice folks and people who still remember what the Mods were all about. Many of them are nice folks, some even kiddies who are sensible - We have a couple of groups round here with about 4-6 teenage riders, all of whom ride in perfect bike formation. They will grow up to be very decent bikers!

The Office types tend to be those who realise the Rush Hour advantages of 2 wheels and an engine, but cannot afford/cope with a real bike. Typically terrified of anything with more cc than them, so calmly ride past, giving the usual wide berth!

I get the occasional spotty teenage jerk (stereotyping i know) thinks taking on a bigger bike by undertaking it is cool.

once, i was at crown of the road, he blasted inside around me, over took the car just ahead in a busy street,then turned right, causing me to brake.

I just smiled to myself at his stupidity and his shit dress sense!

not worth getting too involved as it distracts you from the road!

No etiquette.

I keep my position and if someone wants to overtake I yield to the left to let them pass. I expect the same but some people just don't get it.

On my commute there is a regular biker on a blade who, when we pull up at a set of lights, tears and wheelies away along the straight. It started to happen when I stuffed him up the inside one morning on a bend. I can't keep with him on the straight and he knows it.

There are so few bikes I see on the commute I sometimes miss the London traffic light derby's.

Thanks all for your comments... In very simply terms it's freakin 'morons in suits/ skirts' on scooters who are actually oblivious to their surroundings and basically try muscle (wrong word I know) past minimal space and don't give a fook if it that means the other rider having to brake & swerve. Ahh the joy of London commuting.

I do shout abuse at them but they generally think they have the right to go into any free space no matter what that means. Hence why I wanted your opinions as to the 'standard'.

(off to take my chill pill!)

I'm so tempted to kick them off when they do that. If ever I thought I could get away with it...

That said, I believe I also pointed out that you get this kind of dickhead behaviour in all kinds of rider and that's why bikers have such a bad rep still.

I dont know if this is relevant, but when out on the bike I ride in two different styles.

If I'm on my own I do take chances if I'm confident I can get away with a manouver which is safe and legal. I'm quite happy just to keep up with freeflowing traffic at the national speed limit. But if I'm in a queue of traffic and I can legally filter I will. I'm not one that will ride only in the fast lane on the motorway but will use it if required, and yes I will go up to 80/85.

The other way I ride is if I have a pillion. It used to be if either my son or daughter was on the back (notice past tense :icon_biggrin: )

Then I used to ride like there were a dozen eggs on the back seat.

Experience and age tells us just to ride as safe as possible at any speed as most of us long time riders have felt the pain of the fall at least once.

The novice rider has not felt the pain yet and as most young think they are invincable they will take stupid chances, as Ron White put it

"you can't fix stupid" .

What would seem "common sence" to most is lost.. as common sence is a lost art as most motorist don't have any.

My suggestion take 2 chill pills let them go and wait for them to crash get some common sence knocked into there brains. The law of averages is on your side as you have 1000's of more miles of experience.

option 2 block them in so they can't go anywhere wait for the next light and punch the crap out of them. Or get in front of them pile on the brakes they will panic and grab way to much brake and crash as you speed away.

Appreciate the comments all and yep - will need to relax and let them do their thing. Life's too short to worry about other people's bad habits I guess.

(Unless they get a too close then the physical alternative it is :))

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online