Most econmical big bike (not 125's or 250's)

Tris1993
This post is 4427 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi just a small quirey,

Looking to upgrade from my YBR125, i want i big'ish bike around 600cc and i have seen that honda have released a new modle this month the NC700X, its basicaly got a honda jazz engine cut in half in it and will only rev to 6500rpm at the start of the redline its claimed that its 0-75mph is faster than the cbf600 aswell, the suprising thing is it will do a stagering 78.8 to the gallon (4.55L), just wanting to know if yamaha have anything thats MPG is close to that which isnt a small capacity bike, i would prefere to upgrade to another yam as my YBR is so bloody reliable, and i havnt had much experiance with honda bikes however i am aware that the are suposedly equialy as good.

cheers for you help guys Tris :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Your talking about Honda's Crossrunner.

This one

nc700x-2.jpg

You can ask "Gas-up-lets go",,,,,,havent seen him on here in a while,,,, He has a Yam Teneree,,,,,, and it seems to be good on mpg.

Teneree

Yamaha%20XT660%20Tenere%2008%20%204.jpg

Looks wise.........that Honda is stunning! that monstosity of a Yamaha there is horrid (in my opinion) Im not too ofey with economical stuff so im prob no help here as i like my stuff with BIG engines (my daily driver is a 2.5 V6 MG ZT with 190bhp which i can just get 30mpg out of it if i behave lol) But saying that the Dragstar aint that bad with the fuel.

yeah i agree the honda is a minter regards to looks compared to the yam, if there isnt a decent MPG yam, then does anybody else know of another bike manufacture that has a bike with a good MPG, i feel sick looking at that teneree, sorry to anybody who has one im sure there a great bike (but i don't like them) thanks for the feedback though 2 wheels :)

Yeh tris " honda" are dead reliable too, they had the rep for reliability in the olden days , but were a tad boring, the only weak bike they made was the VF range , they were the last jap factory to make a two-stroke , but when they did is was great , NSR , CR500, The tenere is a different class from that honda in pic, Yam have MT, that looks similar,, fuel ? bugger that :headscratch: Its all about feel and perfomance,,, :icon_mrgreen:

i know what ur saying about feel and performance blackhat i realy do, i loved having my crosser a while ago for off roading, but with me only been 18 years old car insurance is rediclious, and i mainly use my bike for a 12 mile commute everyday, i want something that is cheap to run and not 2 bad on insurance (nearly got 3 years no claims now) but i want it to be able to cope with motorways 2 up for weekend rideing if i wanted to go to the beach 100's of miles away without it costing me a fortune to get there, my ybr is great for the commute if not perfect however its the lack of performance during the summer and at weekends that gets to me and 2 up it does a pidleing 40mph most places let alone the horible amount of sway offf the back end going around corners, it sends shivers down my spine thinging of it Brrrrrrr.....

i know what ur saying about feel and performance blackhat i realy do, i loved having my crosser a while ago for off roading, but with me only been 18 years old car insurance is rediclious, and i mainly use my bike for a 12 mile commute everyday, i want something that is cheap to run and not 2 bad on insurance (nearly got 3 years no claims now) but i want it to be able to cope with motorways 2 up for weekend rideing if i wanted to go to the beach 100's of miles away without it costing me a fortune to get there, my ybr is great for the commute if not perfect however its the lack of performance during the summer and at weekends that gets to me and 2 up it does a pidleing 40mph most places let alone the horible amount of sway offf the back end going around corners, it sends shivers down my spine thinging of it Brrrrrrr.....

WHAT? is it me or is there something not right here first you say you are 18yrs old but then you say you have nearly 3yrs no claims if so have you been on a 50cc at 16 and are almost 19 which might account for almost 3yrs no claims.?

600cc and economic well there are bikes out there that are better than others and being 18 insurance is the bigger killer,have you a full licence or are you restricted to 33bhp if so there are plenty of other bikes out there like the 250 ninja with good mpg but your never going to get a 600cc with great mpg unless you ride like a nun

WHAT? is it me or is there something not right here first you say you are 18yrs old but then you say you have nearly 3yrs no claims ........

the clue is in his user name 1993, he will be 19 this year...maybe even next week? so next week he could have 3 years ncb?

the clue is in his user name 1993, he will be 19 this year...maybe even next week? so next week he could have 3 years ncb?

perhaps thats why if you had used the whole of my Quote you would have seen i said about him being almost 19 it just looked odd 18 yrs old 3 yrs ncb it might say 1993 so his birthday could be next week but it also be anytime in 2012,

is the clue in your new user name airhead :hah:

perhaps thats why if you had used the whole of my Quote you would have seen i said about him being almost 19 it just looked odd 18 yrs old 3 yrs ncb it might say 1993 so his birthday could be next week but it also be anytime in 2012,

is the clue in your new user name airhead :hah:

cheeky...your quote said 18 almost 3 years ncb

so almost 19 then

i rest my case

OMG guy's!!!! is this a bike chat forum or discussing my birthday forum.... lol

birthdays in april, a day after the queen's and a day before adolf hitlers :D,

anyway very shortly after my birthday i will have an un-restricted licence and 3 years no-claims (touch wood) but looking into what bikes are available at the moment so i have pleanty of time to chew it over, and thanks for the suggestion about the 250 ninja but im after somthing thats a bit more of an all rounder as i use it everyday, winter and all (in saying that, i will be keeping my ybr as a winter hack, as its got 20,000 miles on the clock and i would only get £700 for it if im lucky, despite its well maintained condition)

and please dont suggest an er-5, gs500, or cb500... there to much like learner bikes and im trying to get away from those :P

cheers people :)

So which is it? 19th April (day before Hitler - 20th) or 22nd April (Brenda Sax-Coburg 21 April, same as my father)?

Why so dismissive of ER-5, CB500 etc? Have you actually ridden any of them? If you're after an all-rounder, that won't cost the earth to run, won't leave you stranded in the middle of your daily commute, but can still keep up with (and leave) most 4-wheeled traffic in town and on motorways, then these bikes have a lot to recommend them. What sort of budget are you on? Will you be looking at new or secondhand?

Of course, if you've been following Columbo's thread, you'll know which bike a lot of us (those with any sense, that is!) rate very highly - it can tour, commute, scratch and filter with the best of 'em, it will do 50mpg ridden sensibly (as if that ever happens!), can handle 2-up camping trips without breaking a sweat, has a bombproof tried & tested motor and a whole wealth of spares, accessories and technical knowledge behind it. It is of course .................. the Suzuki Bandit!

100_1869Large.jpg

Go on, you know you want one!

Go on, you know you want one!

Or does he wany a Fazer. :lol:

There actually very easy on juice,,,,,,,, ask Blackhat,,,,,,,,mine went from Scotland and almost to Squires on a full tank,,,,,,, and that wasnt all easy ridin,,,,,,,,,,,, was it John,,,rem the A9

if i got dates mixed up sorry lol and tis the 22nd, the thing that puts me of them is the er5 has rear drum (ybr has one and dislike it alot, doesnt deliver smooth breaking) and most of them seem to have high milage and are quite old, my ybr is 06 reg, i dont really want to go older, if im honest although in most cases older bikes are fine, i just want something newer and reliable that i can count on, i have riden the gs500 and the er-5, theregood bikes but its just the age and millage of them, the bandit 600 may be a good option though, however i did have a bandit 400 vvc jap import, but the engine casing cracked and comected the water resevoir with the oil sump, basicaly nacked the bike, still dont understand why it cracked, it wasnt from frost thats for sure. and i would buy new on finance and a couple of grand deposite in the case of that NC700X but if the bike has been in production for years i would buy a reasonably new second hand bike with low milage as the big chunk of depreciation has gone then, and for the record i do like the bandits. :)

Bandit, ER-6 the new NC700. The latter is reported to deliver over 60 mpg even when ridden hard. Last years ER-6 could be a bargain now the new models is out. If youre riding over winter in the peaks, reliability and robust. Any of those 3 should take 2 up to the coast no problems

Just taken the plunge... decided buying new was silly given the amount of money it would cost me for my age, managed to pick up a absolute bargain of ebay tho... a 2004 CBF 500 with 23,000 on the clock, ridden in dry weather only and its absolutly imaculate with no problems, went to check it over last night and did a HPI check the bike is a minter and only paid £1600!!!! the bikes of same age, condition and millage on ebay are all going for in excess of £2400!!! the guy i got it of seemed pritty loaded though so weather he just isnt bothered about cash i dunno... it suited me anyway i got a reet bargain!!!

MC7570660.jpg

It feels like waiting for christmas day when i was a little boy, as i can't pick it up until Saturday.....

So Excited!!!!!!!!! :D

650 Dragstar gets an easy 48mpg.

I would have suggested a Tourer of some kind, myself. FJR1300, perhaps.

Guy (his actual name) here at work on a Honda 700 Deauville claims around 70mpg.

I recall one of the 500cc Enfields being advertised as getting 84mpg. That's the highest I ever heard for a bike. Snazzy, too!

Just taken the plunge... decided buying new was silly given the amount of money it would cost me for my age, managed to pick up a absolute bargain of ebay tho... a 2004 CBF 500 with 23,000 on the clock, ridden in dry weather only and its absolutly imaculate with no problems, went to check it over last night and did a HPI check the bike is a minter and only paid £1600!!!! the bikes of same age, condition and millage on ebay are all going for in excess of £2400!!! the guy i got it of seemed pritty loaded though so weather he just isnt bothered about cash i dunno... it suited me anyway i got a reet bargain!!!

MC7570660.jpg

It feels like waiting for christmas day when i was a little boy, as i can't pick it up until Saturday.....

So Excited!!!!!!!!! :D

dont worry about the mpg mate just screw it like you would your lass!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online