Visor Steaming Up

Joe Smart
This post is 4522 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi There everyone.

As the bad weather stars to come in a problem i have allways had with my visor is it steaming up and wala in seconds i cant see a thing. Now i know about Pinlock inside visors but i just cant afford one. There is riding with it slightly open but then the wind hits my eyes to hard and i have to keep blinking and you loose the water seal at the top of the visor and as most helmets go the ventelation system is... well crap.

I currently have a basic Nitro skid lid and ive never owned an expencive one so i dont know if mor expensive visors work better but i cant afford one.

Is there any other way to make it so it doesnt steam up as i go along or will i just have to go with it and get used to it?

Any tips will be great,

Thanks

Joe.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Easy one, chap. Nip to yer local bike accessory shop and grab some anti-fog spray. There are several brands, costing about £4 for a little bottle.

Clean and dry the inside of your visor, then spray a good few squirts of this stuff on the inside. Rub it in until you get as streak-free a finish as possible.

Then go ride. Simple as - Job done. One coat lasts 2-4 weeks on average, assuming you ride for at least 2 hours every day.

I bought my bottle from Hein Gericke about 4 or 5 years ago and I'm still using it!!

I know there's a ProBike in Newbury and several places, including a Hein Gericke, here in Reading. Any difficulties finding it, gimme a shout, OK?

Oh, there is a trick where you use a dab of washing-up liquid instead (which of course is probably a lot cheaper, per 100ml), but this needs constant reapplication and can actually damage some visors.

People seem to have mixed results, so I've never tried or recommended it myself. Just letting you know.

Wow! Thanks alot for the advice, I will google Hein Gericke Newbury and find out there location and go and have a look when i do... To come to think about it my broken Hein Gericke heated grips need repairing aswell :/ need to take it back to Yamaha dealer for there return to dealer warrantly. Really dont fancy the ride to southampton for that tho.

Fun.

Thanks alot for the advice!

Joe.

Washing up liquid works well, but you do have to keep reapplying.

Its cheap tho!

Or why not try an Oxford insert......................

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OXFORD-HELMET-ULTRA-CLEAR-VISOR-INSERT-ANTI-FOG-SHIELD-/200661747601?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&hash=item2eb85f4791

Not too expensive and certainly does the trick!

V.

that anti-fog spray from ProBike in newbury is good, and you can have a ganders at all the pretty shiny new bikes in there aswell, failing that theres Newbury Motorcycles down by yhe clock tower (down past dominos if your heading through the town centre, not sure exactly where).

failing that cut a potato in half and rub it on the inside of your visor, worked the last time i tried it

Washing up liquid contains salt that can turn the visor yellow and ruin coatings. It did used to work though. All visors seem to do this but I tend to ride with the visor not quite closed and that seem to clear it quickly. I use my finger..................................................................But that's another story..

I use a Scott No-Fog cloth on the inside (actually made for ski goggles) :yes: ......& plenty of car wax on the whole exterior of the helmet....

Worx Awesum! :thumb:

• 3 weeks later...

A method that lasts longer than washing up liquid is to rub a dry bar of soap on the inside of the visor, then polish it off with a dry cloth, you dont need to go mad with the soap, just a few squiggly lines will do, then wipe off.

There's no soap in my house,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, we are a Dirty Dirty croud

Stick 2 straws up your nose and out the bottom of your lid,,,,,,keep your mouth closed,,,,,,,,,thats what i do :hyper:

look for bob heath anti mist inserts, quite cheap and worked a long time before pin locks. PS holding your breath works untill you have to stop LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Been Using a Anti Fog spray from Pro bike in Newbury and it seems to work well, I just dont have the time to keep re applying it every few days...

Takes less than 2 mins.

Unclip visor, spray on, polish to clear, reaffix visor. Job done.

Only needed once a week, if that...

Visor open only works when I'm moving. It's when I stop that it fogs up most.

I have a 'bike bag' of little tools, cable ties and bits that I always have on the bike, but the little bottle is small enough to keep in a pocket with a cloth.