I have a bit of a headache after an incident this morning.

DirtyDT
This post is 4777 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I had a bit of an incident riding to work this morning. Accelerating out of a roundabout on the Nottingham ring road, a pigeon decides they want to fly out of a tree from the grass central reservation. We end up coming together at about 40 MPH as I give it a full on Glasgow kiss (now I know how JFK felt). I carried on riding the few more miles to work without stopping. On parking up I discover my helmet is a bit messy, my visor is snapped in two and I have a stiff neck & dull headache. It leaves me with 2 questions;

1) Has anyone successfully won a "no win, no fee" claim against a dead pigeon?

2) Why are visors so bloody expensive?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1/. No-win, No-fee guys won't touch claims against a deceased party. You will need a bullshit American lawyer to even begin claiming against Peter Pidgeon. Not usually worth it, but you might get a percentage of the estate. A loft corner in the centre of Nottingham will probably be worth a couple of pints.

2/. Because the market is captive and you're usually restricted to buying the exact visor for your specific model of helmet. That said, I've never had to replace my visor...

Did you end up singing "Stopped the pigeon, stopped the pigeon etc" from the wacky races :D

Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days the statue - Dilbert [scott Adams]

Hi guys,

Thanks for the mix of sensitive concern and p taking :). I think it has given me a bit of concussion and feels like I have been punched in the head but I guess that I was lucky (if that is the right word) that it caught me right on the forehead and, although my visor was open, I had a pair of sun glasses on. Love my Oakley's.

New visor ordered.

O, glad your ok Dirty, the headake will pass.

Them bloody birds in the early mornin are nothing less than a death trap.

Last year i had a close call in the same sinario,,,,,bird comes flyin out of the trees, i automatically swerve (i know your not supposed to but its hard not to when your caught by suprise), by the time i get the bike back into my own lane all i can see is flashing headlights and me just missing some cage by inches.

With the summer commin (hopefully) the birds will be out in force, especially in the early hours of the morning.

When i throw my leg over and start her up i say to myself,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BE READY FOR THE DAM BIRDS.

Anyway, glad its not to serious for ya !

Visor's £20 depending on lid ya have !

Glad your ok DDT a mouth full of pigeon shit and feathers dont sound good :o just as well you had your shades on B) or you might of had an 'off', I had a pigeon incident last year (visor down,they seem to favour flying at head height), I also had my boot contact something that emerged from a hedge-going by the bruising I had on my ankle it musta been a badger or a fox, or someones 'late pooch' whatever it was I dont think it survived the impact- :unsure: Deer are a constant worry up here :huh:

the food is deer

the petrol is deer

beer is deer

:huh:

Hi 2 wheels. I didn't have time to swerve. It came from a blind spot on my right and caught me straight on the forehead. The visor was £33.50 online with free P&P.

Hi BWJ, I got a mouthful of dust. Sounds stupid but that was what happened! Lucky this was on the town ring road. Most of my commute (10 to 15 miles) is on single lane country road so I normally get a move on, on this part and I would have definitely been off. I used to have to keep a watch for deer where I used to live "dawn sarf". They used to wander around the roads and are big buggers.

I did get overtaken by a tortoise on the inside of a bend once........................ only kidding.

Deer are a constant worry up here :huh:

the food is deer

the petrol is deer

beer is deer

:huh:

As long at the deep fried mars bars are still affordable, then there are no worries. :D

1/. No-win, No-fee guys won't touch claims against a deceased party. You will need a bullshit American lawyer to even begin claiming against Peter Pidgeon. Not usually worth it, but you might get a percentage of the estate. A loft corner in the centre of Nottingham will probably be worth a couple of pints.

:rofl: