Does size matter?

DirtyDT
This post is 4828 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I may be in the market for a shed. This would be for bikes and tools only, retaining my garden shed for the mower and the likes.

I would like to have the biggest I can afford/get away with/allowed. This will probably be a 10 x 8. I am looking at metal ones due to the lack of maintenance. As I have semi limited access to my rear garden this would be for longer term tinkering and not day to day storage.

Any thoughts on the size and material (metal)? I can run power and water (including lights/heat/cooling fan) and was looking to fit a full length work bench down one side.

Cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Power sockets, lighting, heating/cooling, secure storage. I think that's the main bits. Anything else would be a bonus. Full length bench sounds good, although the chap who does my bike favours a small bench and a big bike jack.

You might consider sound dampening of some kind, if you have neighbours.

If I could build my ideal shed of that dimension it would be in timber, insulated with 80mm 'kingspan', built on top of a blockwork topped foundation with a DPC membrane below the top course.

Timber because it stays cooler than metal in the summer and stays warmer than metal in the winter, looks better, sounds better when its raining too :farmerjohn:

If I could build my ideal shed of that dimension it would be in timber, insulated with 80mm 'kingspan', built on top of a blockwork topped foundation with a DPC membrane below the top course.

Timber because it stays cooler than metal in the summer and stays warmer than metal in the winter, looks better, sounds better when its raining too :farmerjohn:

Errrrrrrrrrrrr. yes BWJ :blink:

I think I am going for wood. One of THESE is favourite at the moment. I will have to extend my current base by about 6 inches along the 10 feet side but that is not a problem. I have seen some vid's of the steel assembly and it looks naff. Also it does seem that condensation is a problem. You can't beat the smell of preserved timber. Especially mixed with the smell of 2 stroke.

+ 1... Aye jammer " you building control or summat , :D

Does size matter ?

Aye indeed it does,,,,,,,the bigger the better,,,,,,,,nothing worse than banging into things when your trying to work in there.

I've a steel shed that i made myself,,,,,,,tis a grand job,,,,,,,it does condinsate,,,,it is cold,,,,it isnt big enough,,,,,,,so now i keep turf in there for the fire. :thumb:

Me bikes are in the conservatory, which is now a bloody mess,,,,,,wife is very happy with that,,,,,when i have a few bob togeather i plan on building a propper block shed out the back.

+ 1... Aye jammer " you building control or summat , :D

Aye Blackhat. He will be asking what the sq meters of my garden is next and what distance from the house it is going to be. ;) .

Does size matter ?

Aye indeed it does,,,,,,,the bigger the better,,,,,,,,nothing worse than banging into things when your trying to work in there.

I've a steel shed that i made myself,,,,,,,tis a grand job,,,,,,,it does condinsate,,,,it is cold,,,,it isnt big enough,,,,,,,so now i keep turf in there for the fire. :thumb:

Me bikes are in the conservatory, which is now a bloody mess,,,,,,wife is very happy with that,,,,,when i have a few bob togeather i plan on building a propper block shed out the back.

My conservatory condensates but I am not allowed bikes in there.

I am allowed to run bikes through the house from the front to the back along the utility/dining area. Just as well really as there is no other way to get them into the back garden. I am not under the thumb you understand :blush::thumbdown:

You can't beat a good bit of wood :D .

I've had metal sheds in the past, all have been cold, noisy (in the rain) and full of condensation, only improved slightly by slapping polystyrene tiles over every surface. This house had a perfect spot for a 12x8 shed so it was off to my local shed boys (at Paddy in case you're wondering Blackhat) and this is the result:

AScottishShed.jpg

Knocked up a wee bench at the end using scrap timber:

Tidierthanbefore.jpg

Just need one of those wee halogen heaters in the winter and I'm toasty - no condensation on anything even when the temp has got down to -20!

Give yourself a bit of wood - you know it makes sense!

I may be in the market for a shed. This would be for bikes and tools only, retaining my garden shed for the mower and the likes.

I would like to have the biggest I can afford/get away with/allowed. This will probably be a 10 x 8. I am looking at metal ones due to the lack of maintenance. As I have semi limited access to my rear garden this would be for longer term tinkering and not day to day storage.

Any thoughts on the size and material (metal)? I can run power and water (including lights/heat/cooling fan) and was looking to fit a full length work bench down one side.

Cheers.

Go for timber, and tongue and groove not overlap, better insulation, less leaks, lasts longer.

Does size matter? You bet! The bigger the better, you'll find you always need more space. When I finished building my garage some years back, I was amazed at how much stuff (junk) seemed to migrate from all corners of the house into my domain, kids old toys/spare carpet tiles/steam cleaner/daughters riding gear/etc ie if you build a space someone will fill it for you. Control is key!

Consider building your own (custom) shed. Bought ones the floors aint tooo strong.

Lighting and power are essentials.

Sanctuary :)

OK guys, thanks for the good advice. I currently have a 8 x 6 potting shed that came with the house.

As for the new shed. Wood is now a definite. T&G is a definite. Double doors are a definite. The only problem is that that I can't get anything bigger than 6 feet through my house. This was something I forgot about so the maximum width is going to have to be 6 feet. Length wise I am now looking at 10, 12 or 16 feet. If I go for 10 feet I will not have to do any groundwork, any bigger I will have to lay some additional concrete.

I am going to ponder.

OK guys, thanks for the good advice. I currently have a 8 x 6 potting shed that came with the house.

As for the new shed. Wood is now a definite. T&G is a definite. Double doors are a definite. The only problem is that that I can't get anything bigger than 6 feet through my house. This was something I forgot about so the maximum width is going to have to be 6 feet. Length wise I am now looking at 10, 12 or 16 feet. If I go for 10 feet I will not have to do any groundwork, any bigger I will have to lay some additional concrete.

I am going to ponder.

Well in this case i would build my own to whatever size ya want. Extend the concret out a bit more and have a good size shed. Sur tis easy ta build a timber shed ! ! !

If ya bought one the size ya wanted,,,,,could it be lifted in over the back of the garden or something ??? get it delivered on one of them Hiabb lorrys and lift her in ??

If ya still want a big shed but dont want ta build it yourself,,,,,,,,buy the big one,,,,leave it out the front,,,,,take off the roof,,,,,,seperate the sides,,,,,take off a few T+G boards,,,,,take through the house,,,,,rebuild it out the back. :unsure::blink: simples :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or buy 2 small ones and join them and re-roof it .

A Jaysus,,,,,,Just build one out the back :D

Thanks for the advice guys. I could build one but don't know if I can be bothered. I am just going to buy a flat pack one and take it out to the garden and nail together. I could but a bigger one 2 wheels and take the 2 sections apart to get through the door but a 12 x 6 will do I think so just a bit of groundwork to be done. It shouldn't be a problem, I have just finished Project Managing the build, fit out and occupation of this:

nrc1.jpg

so did you just put the light on top of the pole or construct the pole as well.

oh had a second look you mean the building in the background. cool job.

i have a 20 * 10 garage built onto the house and its so full of tools equipment i have 2 project bikes in the dining room to make working room in the shed and around the bikes. lol

so did you just put the light on top of the pole or construct the pole as well.

oh had a second look you mean the building in the background. cool job.

Nice one :D

i have a 20 * 10 garage built onto the house and its so full of tools equipment i have 2 project bikes in the dining room to make working room in the shed and around the bikes. lol

I coudn't get away with that in the dining room (I have asked). I can push through the house but need some space just in case I end up with a project.

iv got to build a shed, at the min im taking up the kitchen, last one i built cost me 250 quid and was 8ft by 8ft by 8ft ......went to b&q and got some 8ft by 4ft chipboard panels ;) . safe to say it was quite good, but was destroyed a year or so ago when i moved.. :(

now iv got a nice 16ft by 20ft patch at the top of the garden ......so gonna make a decent workshop to house my tools and projects B) im toying with the idea of putting some form of wood burning stove/furnace in there as i want to do a bit of aluminum casting, should make it nice and toasty during the winter :D plus it will keep the misses happy as the bike wont be in the kitchen. but in answer to your question bigger IS better!

The link to that £500 shed you posted looks like £500 worth of shed to me-uprights too far apart, doors not even ledged and braced-steer well clear buddy, you can easy double that cost if you were to build your own (quite easy on the difficulty scale- if you've got just enough skill to light a fire you can build a shed), so to sum up, £1000 worth of the right timber/materials-build yourself-no labour cost.Or £1000 worth of the right timber/materials plus labour= total £1500 for a 10'x8' (foundation and shed build included) for 'a gud un' :)

how much Ash did you nick from the cladding off that last build you did ?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online