Disc brake lock stuck!

Gazza M
This post is 4853 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Went to get on my bike today, had to remove the disc lock first... it was being a bit stubborn so I tried forcing it (idiot that I am) and managed to snap the key off in the lock. What is the best way of removing it without damaging the disc brake itself? I don't have a spare key as i got it with the bike when I bought it...

Help!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it the sort of lock that when fitted, you can still remove the front wheel ?

What I would do, is to remove the wheel and then drill out the lock to remove it - how lock it's goinf to take depends really on the type of lock it is, it might be possible to cut the lock free with a grinder.

If you aren't pretty steady with a drill, or a grinder then take the wheel out and go to either a locksmith or a gargage and ask them to remove it. A locksmoth is (on blance) less inclined to damage your wheel in the proccess.

Lesson - Make sure you keep your lock lubricated, for me Wurth HHS is the lubricant of choice, especially for locks.

Surely if the key is snapped in the lock it wouldn't take much persuasion to turn it with a screwdriver or similar and open the lock ?

no , im not a theif b4 you ask,,,,,get yourself a pair of small tweezers ,file them down to a fine point , then nick the very tip inward on each ,,insert either side of key ,grip tight with pliers and extract.if it wont go in file the prongs down until it will...:unsure:

Surely if the key is snapped in the lock it wouldn't take much persuasion to turn it with a screwdriver or similar and open the lock ?

no , im not a theif b4 you ask,,,,,get yourself a pair of small tweezers ,file them down to a fine point , then nick the very tip inward on each ,,insert either side of key ,grip tight with pliers and extract.if it wont go in file the prongs down until it will...:unsure:

:blink: C'mon guys, the key snapped of due to the exursion required to open the semi seized lock, Thin pliers or screwdrivers ain't going to get the job done. Take an angle driver to it and get another lock, but look after this new one.

:blink: C'mon guys, the key snapped of due to the exursion required to open the semi seized lock, Thin pliers or screwdrivers ain't going to get the job done. Take an angle driver to it and get another lock, but look after this new one.

Oh sorry, my mistake, i forgot seized means permanent, WD40 doesn't exist and not to mention heat defiantly won't help in this lovely weather dry.gif

WD40 .......pissing into the wind........Angle grinder........Job done.

can you go back and under line where he mentions seized.

coz i don't think he did.:P

try the theifs er my way it usualy works.

Give it a few goes with the pliers and/or tweezers first.

WD40 for the first attempts. Graphite lube for the second.

Forget angle-grinding - You may slip and mess up your wheel.

Forget Thermite - It (or the smouldering metal of the lock) can drip and mess up your wheel.

Ideally, you want to save the lock if you can, as it's still cheaper to just get a new key set impressioned and cut.

If you're anywhere near Reading, let me know and I'll come round with my Locksmith tools.

I can't cut keys, though.

:o

Oh yeah - I'm not too bad with them, either. Better on household locks, though.

I started training as a Locksmith, but ran out of cash before completing the MLA courses.

Still got most of the cool tools and I still do a bit of Locksporting, too.

Have you never wondered why I always recommend a Locksmith over Yamaha or a local key-cutter?

I know how good a job pro Lockies can do and how cheap they can be! :D

i never noticed you were into lock sport until now,ttaski,,thats always been one of my hobbies..hence the save it rather than bust it advise.

Ever since I joined, it's been writ right there in my profile, chap.

And people wonder why I rant about empty profiles and lacking introductions!! :lol:

Cheers for the help guys... I attacked it over the weekend with wd40, then screwdriver to no avail... next stop drill, the drill bits just made a bit of a noise and didnt do much - maybe testament to my skills (or lack of) in lockpicking/drilling... next stop angle grinder!

and i have to admit thermite would be fun, but i'd prefer to keep my tyres/garage. =]

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online