ABxv535
This post is 4963 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I'm new to the site, just bought my L reg 93 Yamaha XV535 and to be honest haven't been very lucky with it... first day lost my keys because ignition barrel is worn , so had to get a key made that after a week didn't fit my petrol cap or seat( so had to send it back to get it done again!!!), because of it run out of fuel (I think) and had to push it home about 5 miles!!! that's after I picked the bike from the garage because the diaframe on the carbs collapsed and lost power so felt like I was riding a 125cc bike... battery's gone flat but couldn't get it on charge because couldn't get the seat out! have the bike for about 3 weeks and only able to ride it twice 3rd time had to push it!!! before my xv had a 1982 kawasaki z440ltd and a 1978 yamaha DT175mx.

new to xv535 so any advise or tips will be great

Many thanks in advance

AB

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, I'm new to the site, just bought my L reg 93 Yamaha XV535 and to be honest haven't been very lucky with it... first day lost my keys because ignition barrel is worn , so had to get a key made that after a week didn't fit my petrol cap or seat( so had to send it back to get it done again!!!), because of it run out of fuel (I think) and had to push it home about 5 miles!!! that's after I picked the bike from the garage because the diaframe on the carbs collapsed and lost power so felt like I was riding a 125cc bike... battery's gone flat but couldn't get it on charge because couldn't get the seat out! have the bike for about 3 weeks and only able to ride it twice 3rd time had to push it!!! before my xv had a 1982 kawasaki z440ltd and a 1978 yamaha DT175mx.

new to xv535 so any advise or tips will be great

Many thanks in advance

AB

Should have kept the DT...much easier to push. Welcome to the YOC AB :D

Should have kept the DT...much easier to push. Welcome to the YOC AB :D

You're right there!!! nearly left the bike on the side of the road after a couple of miles!!! :(

I've always wanted a 535 hope I wont regret it!

Just hope my luck changes! :)

Welcome to the YOC B)

Fully service the bike and see how she is !

hi and welcome,

put a zip tie on the frame near the ignition switch and hook your key to it when you go out,at least if the key falls out its still hanging there.

the virago is a great bike only had mine a few months,i wish i would have bought one sooner.

safe riding.

alan.

Manage to get some fuel in the under seat tank, jump started it and got it running again( good news!) I just run out of fuel... nothing else is broke! :) (that I know of)

new battery tomorrow and carbs to be clean on friday...

"you'll sort out the gremlins and soon be all forgotten"

Really hope so, haven't been really lucky with this bike yet... getting there now :)

Once you get things straightened out, the bike will be a dream.

Viragoes have remained popular for very good reasons!!

I would suggest replacing the ignition barrel, even if you have to have a second key. Last thing you want is the key falling out while you're riding!!

You might be able to get an Auto Locksmith to re-pin the cylinder in the barrel. It sounds like they're worn anyway, hence not holding the key in. That way, you can keep the existing key.

My old 350 did that. I never did fix it though. Turn on IG put keys in pocket, no scratches, no jangle jangle. ;)

Once you get things straightened out, the bike will be a dream.

Viragoes have remained popular for very good reasons!!

I would suggest replacing the ignition barrel, even if you have to have a second key. Last thing you want is the key falling out while you're riding!!

You might be able to get an Auto Locksmith to re-pin the cylinder in the barrel. It sounds like they're worn anyway, hence not holding the key in. That way, you can keep the existing key.

I did think about changing the ignition barrel, but still would have the problem with the petrol cap that I can't open, so I've send the barrel away to get sorted and get new keys but when it arrived the key didn't fit the seat or the petrol cap so I had to send it back again to get it sorted, should be ready Monday, I'm putting fuel trough the pipe that goes from the top petrol tank to the under seat tank... to keep me going... but this morning my battery died as well so had to buy a battery today will have to try to get it sorted tomorrow... I'm going to put a small chain anyway close to the key so I wont lose it again . I do like the bike but It seems that everything's going wrong with it, Its one thing after the other, I've had this bike 3 weeks and only able to ride it 3 times 1st time lost keys 2nd gone wrong with carbs 3rd picked it up from workshop and stopped 5 miles away from my house so had to push it home! ( run out of fuel and battery died ) :(

will get it right , just been more work than I expected so start with + need a respray Not sure what colour to go for any advise? not sure to keep it same colour or go for a dark metallic blue ???

Thanks for your advise

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online