Cluthless changes.

Joshua2
This post is 5359 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

O.K. I admit to doing clutchless gear changes going UP through the box. I find it gives a smoother change and no chance of finding a false neutral. My mate 'UP.YOURS' and fellow Y.O.C. member struggles to do them. Mind you - hes only just learnt to eat with a knife and fork.

Does anyone else do cluthless changes? :rolleyes:

ATB

J

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe i do ,but that replica bonnie of yours wouldnt stay up with it ,now off you go and do your crutchless knicker change. :D:lol::D

I tried a couple of times, but couldn't break the habit of pulling the clutch in. It's subconsciously engaged.

Don't see the point in clutchless changes, myself.

They don't seem any quicker and being a drummer, physical multi-tasking is second nature to me. :D

In the 500,000 miles plus miles i have travelled over the last 3 years, yes, i do clutchless changes, up and down box, the later being harder. Its not something I do a lot of, but I do do it. it depends on your riding style and how hard you want to push, if your going balls out, you dont want to be clutchless changing, Its certaily a style that suites a rider who is taking his/her time and is not in traffic. I can only say i do clutchless shifts when my other hand is otherwise engaged, wether it be saying "hello" to the driver of the box next to me, or using some sign language that most people understand, but also I do it when I just cant be bothered..ie after being on the road for 12 hours with still 4 more to go.

:angry: well thats why i cant do them ,its because i ride balls out like ya should do on an RD.

the gp boys clutcless up shift but have ignition control which cut the engine as the gear lever goes up. that way they hold the throttle open all the way up the gears. they use clutch on down shift, but with slipper clutches so the back wheel don't lock up!!

I'vre done it, but nothing to gain and I may break a 30 yr old bike!!

i only ever tend to do them going up the box at low revs (in slow-moving traffic, for example), otherwise i do use the clutch especially on downshifts as the DT does like to lock the back wheel if i drop down with the revs too high (very good engine brake)

not on my bike. (well not often, i have done it once or twice)

but on the company truck (a gmc 6500 diesel with a cat motor) i only use the clutch to drive off from a start and to downshift if im going up a steep grade.

:angry: well thats why i cant do them ,its because i ride balls out like ya should do on an RD.

Riding with your balls out ! :unsure: Have you split them new trousers? I told you they were too tight.

You couldn't find your way through the gears unless you had a map.

I did state on my original post only going UP the gearbox. I have managed to get home doing both, once, when the bikes clutch cable snapped.

ATB

J

<_< any way ,whats wrong with a false neutral ,they sound fantastic,on a two stroke. :D

And its the only time your TWO WHEELED FYFE revs over 5 thou! :blink:

And its the only time your TWO WHEELED FYFE revs over 5 thou! :blink:

it only needs 4 thou! to pass you,so SMOKIN,on the mellow . :D

yeh, but i bet you can't put a rowntrees fruit pastel in your mouth without chewing :huh:

He could put a full packet in his mouth and still whistle Dixie ! :(

ATB

J

He could put a full packet in his mouth and still whistle Dixie ! :(

ATB

J

:offtopic: you will get one up the arse if you carry on, :o:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

If I throw a stick will you go away ? <_<

ATB

J

if you throw your stick how you gonna get home you knob. :D:D:D

Clutchless upshifts on shaft driven bikes proves to be quite fluid & smooth......not creating the dreaded typical chassis jacking from the shaft final drive.

If they're done correctly.......it doesn't hurt a thing. ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online