sat-nav

kennyr6
This post is 5468 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi guys have any of you got sat navs for your bikes? im trying to find out if its worth gettin one and if so which type

What are your thoughts

cheers Kenny

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i got a Binatone Carrera X350 from work for £30 (staff discount and non-pristine discount) and put it in a freezer bag, it works well and has a decent touch screen which can be used with gloves, but the battery life is only about an hour so you need to have it plugged in to a 12v system, and my DT is 6v so its not the best.

I have a TomTom Rider 2 - its BRILLIANT

Cant recommend it highly enough - its glove friendly, waterproof, dead easy to use and i wouldn't be without mine now.

It has a Scala Rider bluetooth headset which you attach to your helmet so you can hear it, and also answer your phone lol, but i dont use it at all i just go off what the screen shows.

Top piece of kit IMO. :D

i got a Binatone Carrera X350 from work for £30 (staff discount and non-pristine discount) and put it in a freezer bag, it works well and has a decent touch screen which can be used with gloves, but the battery life is only about an hour so you need to have it plugged in to a 12v system, and my DT is 6v so its not the best.

Didnt know Binatone made sat-navs, and one that you can use thru a freezer bag, gloves on too,

is that a compass then ? lol

only kidding m8, will def look out for that, Lidl or Aldi do good pieces of kit !

actually mine came from currys, i boguht hte ex-display model and because i worked there at the time i ended up getting a huge discount for non-pristine and staff discount

I have a TomTom Rider 2 - its BRILLIANT

There ya go - Both I and Lady Goff have one, so it must be good!!!

The Tom Rider2 comes with everything you need in the box. Garmin requires you to buy several bits seperately, which works out to be more expensive.

Garmins have more fancy aspects - Google Earth compatible, plays music etc. Toms are easier to read and use without a lot of fiddling about.

I've seen most people have problems with Garmin Zumo's mount. Yes, they replace busted bits very quick, but that's because they keep busting.

Toms are now about £250 if you buy online (I got mine for "280 from eBuyer).

Both have a car use adapter, sold seperately.

If you prefer audio directions so you can watch the road, get a bike SatNav.

If you prefer screen only, get any old cheap one and chuck it in a tank bag.

There ya go - Both I and Lady Goff have one, so it must be good!!!

The Tom Rider2 comes with everything you need in the box. Garmin requires you to buy several bits seperately, which works out to be more expensive.

Nope. Everything is in the box, RAM mount, Car mount, PC mapping software, USB connectivity, Protective case - the lot (if you buy the right box), more expensive yes, but you get's what you pays for. Also has Stereo music, full Phone compatibility (text and audio), address book (if that's your thing) full phone intergration with POI, Track Logs, uploadable TOPO maps, and is the only vehicle aware SatNav on the market.... Specifcally for Motorcycles; fuel gauge (that will remind you when you are empty and then guide you to the filling station)

Garmins have more fancy aspects - Google Earth compatible, plays music etc. Toms are easier to read and use without a lot of fiddling about.

That's true, the TT has a much more user friendly GUI,

I've seen most people have problems with Garmin Zumo's mount. Yes, they replace busted bits very quick, but that's because they keep busting.

The mounts are bullet proof ! I've one on the dirt bike, one of the Tenere and one on the XJR. The problem is that people don't read the instructions and over torque the four bolts - if you over tighten anything it will break! It also comes with a snatch proof mount, basically it has a small security screw that fastens the top down. I've covered over 30,000 miles with mine over some of the worst roads & tracks the Europe can throw at you, and I've still got the same one (OK I did destroy the GPS it when I deleted the USB driver & boot file, but Garmin replaced it FOC)

Both have a car use adapter, sold seperately.

You said you "get everything".........

Anyway,

What do you want a SatNav for ??

Honestly ??

Why ??

if you want to find your way to Liverpool, then buy one of those cheap ones, stick it in an AquaBox and away you got (or a Givi Satnav bag)

If you want to explore and find new places, buy a map

If you want to ride into far far far away places, where there are no roads or maps then you need a Garmin

To be honest for most people, the TT Rider2 is fine, in fact it's pretty good. Asking a question like "which one is best " is kinda like saying which car is the best - if you are going to cross the Sahara in it then you don't want to be looking at a Smart Car, or if you want to cross London at 14:00hrs on a Friday then a Dakar Prepaired Raider isn't ideal

Ask yourself what you want to use it for, some people I know just use thier phone....... (with the GPS stuff on it of course).

Me, I need something that I can use on and off road, it needs to be a compass as well as a road-going GPS route finder, I need to create custome routes and waypoints and the celstial information is important too (like what time the sun sets/moon rises etc - when you need an hour to setup camp, you need to know when you're running out of light!) so I chave the Zumo550. I travel lots and it's a great piece of kit and when you get used to it's GUI you can make on-the-fly changes to your route as you go, with the thickest of winter gloves.

The TT Rider is more popular with sports/street bikes, the Garmins are more popular with Adventure and Dual Sports riders, it's horses for courses, you don't by a Firebalde to go off-roading in.

If you've never had a GPS before then you're probably best starting with something cheap and sticking it in a Givi GPS bag.

I'll be suprised if you get many people on here supporting the Garmins, if you go to HU or ADVRider etc then you'll see a different response, from people with different needs.

Nope. Everything is in the box,

Bluetooth headset?

Everyone I know has had to buy one seperately.

I know about 17 people who've tried the Garmins. All have had problems. Few are stupid enough to not follow instructions properly.... Two are, though :lol:

The mounts are bullet proof !

Apparently, it's the waterproofing that's the biggest problem.

You said you "get everything".........

For the bike, yes. It's a bike satnav.

If you want car satnav, you ought to spend lots of money on buying a completely new unit.... if you believe the companies' Marketing departments, that is.

It's designed by riders, for riders - Cars are just those boxy things that we ride around, the moving hazzards, so no wonder the in-car adapter was an afterthought.

What do you want a SatNav for ??

Because I am crap at map-reading and prefer to just get audio instructions as I go, leaving me free to watch what I'm doing.

I have also always wanted a computer thingy that navigates for me - Ever since the SciFi shows and films of the 80s :D

Honestly ??

Yes, I really am crap at map reading!!

The TT Rider is more popular with sports/street bikes, the Garmins are more popular with Adventure and Dual Sports riders, it's horses for courses, you don't by a Firebalde to go off-roading in.

Nor a Cruiser, for that matter....

As Gas Up says - The right tool for the job.

I usually only use the SatNav for parts of the journey where I've never been - Built-up areas, back roads and so on - to reduce the chances of getting stupidly lost. I don't need fancy things like a fuel gauge or sunset times (I work that out for myself), but I will occasionally need to know where the nearest fuel is (which the Tom does), where I am and the few other things mine does.

The Tom suits my purposes (and budget) just fine.

My mate with a VFR800 likes his gadgets (computer game developer) so the Zumo is his fancy toy of choice.

My mate with a VFR800 likes his gadgets (computer game developer) so the Zumo is his fancy toy of choice.

Oh christ, now I'm being compared to a bloody developer - time to buy another map.....

Oh christ, now I'm being compared to a bloody developer - time to buy another map.....

That's what I associate the Garmins with....

He showed me the thing and it was all, "It does this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and that... oh and it can do all these things too........"

My one and only thought was - "When in the name of Holy Mary and all of her whacky nephews will I actually use any of this shite???!!!".

In truth, I've never needed it, either.

All I wanted was a magic box that tells me where to go.

hi guys have any of you got sat navs for your bikes? im trying to find out if its worth gettin one and if so which type

Sat Nav vs Road map?

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'm still using my 1974 AA route map. No I'm not (only joking), I am using a more modern large scale version.

Seriously though I prefer the good old fashioned way of planning your route the night before.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'm still using my 1974 AA route map. No I'm not (only joking), I am using a more modern large scale version.

Seriously though I prefer the good old fashioned way of planning your route the night before.

Same as my other half.