de-restricting

VITORCOSTA
This post is 5662 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

if u buy a motorbike and fully de-restrict it or buy one thats already de-restricted, what are the implications...

can i get a mot??? will it pass....???

the log book will say its a 125 but the output will be much faster....

is there any fines e.t.c?? if i derestrict the bike??

could i do my a2 exam with the bike???

please lemme know asap....

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

if u buy a motorbike and fully de-restrict it or buy one thats already de-restricted, what are the implications...

can i get a mot??? will it pass....???

the log book will say its a 125 but the output will be much faster....

is there any fines e.t.c?? if i derestrict the bike??

could i do my a2 exam with the bike???

please lemme know asap....

HI THERE. ur in a grey area there . are you in uk [ M.O.T.] Or portugal.

O.G.ON A BIKE. Can you shed any light on this ?????

i am in south london.....

and the bike would be a yamaha dtr125

i just dont kow if it would pass the mot......

Dont rightly know myself either but i would think that if in uk then unless you pass your test you cannot de restrict it because learners have to be on 12 BHP (Or whatever) and if in Portugal i dont know it depends what learners use there...dont know...Not my strong point, Goff's good with learner issues i think

Dont rightly know myself either but i would think that if in uk then unless you pass your test you cannot de restrict it because learners have to be on 12 BHP (Or whatever) and if in Portugal i dont know it depends what learners use there...dont know...Not my strong point, Goff's good with learner issues i think

no but assuiming that i can ride any size cc motorbike or that i have a a2 license and i am within the 2 year restriction...

will the bike pass the mot or will i get in trouble because the bike is derestricted????

no but assuiming that i can ride any size cc motorbike or that i have a a2 license and i am within the 2 year restriction...

will the bike pass the mot or will i get in trouble because the bike is derestricted????

The power output is not a factor in the MoT. If it makes 4hp or or 40hp, it makes no difference to the tester - he has no means of testing it.

IF your bike is mechanically sound and meets emissions regulations for that year, it will pass. You will not get into trouble with the MoT tester for having a derestricted bike.

The bike is being tested, not the rider.

You may get into trouble with the polis - if you do not have the correct license to ride a bike with that BHP or with your insurance company - if you do not tell them about any changes made to the bike.

HI / I CANT SEE how they will be able to tell its been de-RST. They never test drive the bikes. :unsure:

so will anyone ever find out???

if some one finds out is there any fines??? e.t.c???

naw plead ignorant/ :unsure: i kno a guy who ran a RD.400 ENGINE in a RD 250 Settup . police are not that clued up.

unless someone BLABS there gob :D

so will anyone ever find out???

if some one finds out is there any fines??? e.t.c???

depends WHO finds out and under WHAT circumstances. If you have an accident and the insurance company properly examine the bike, find out it's been derestricted and you havn't told them, they will refuse to pay out.

If the polis think you were going faster than that bike ought to, they may take it away for investigation, and may prosecute you if you don't have the correct license.

If you sell the bike to a learner as suitable for them, when it isn't, they may take you to court for misrepresentation.

It's not that simple.

It's also rarely worth the effort.

depends WHO finds out and under WHAT circumstances. If you have an accident and the insurance company properly examine the bike, find out it's been derestricted and you havn't told them, they will refuse to pay out.

If the polis think you were going faster than that bike ought to, they may take it away for investigation, and may prosecute you if you don't have the correct license.

If you sell the bike to a learner as suitable for them, when it isn't, they may take you to court for misrepresentation.

It's not that simple.

ok then thanks everyone that another issue cleared up... lol

As above, really.

If you have the right licence, you can ride up to 33BHP.

You just have to tell the insurance company that it's de-restricted.

Much better to get a big bike, though!!!

your bike will pass a mot fine

as long as it is road worthy

it can go as fast as it wants and will still pass provided it is worthy of the road

12bhp my yzfr125 is pumping out 15bhp from new lol

i kno a guy who ran a RD.400 ENGINE in a RD 250 Settup . police are not that clued up.

unless someone BLABS there gob :D

I used to ride with a bloke that got the 400 lump in a 125dx, that WAS worth the effort whooooweee

Seen a RD400 shoehorned into a FS1E it was on ebay recently. also a Cagiva mito with a CR500 mx engine in it

merv

yes, it's all been done :rolleyes: but it's rarely worth the effort, I never said never. Unless you are going to do something mental and fun like a CR lump, just futzing with a 125 isn't worth it.

y'have to ask, how long did it take to get the CR lump in the mito? how much fabrication was involved? Uprating the brakes/suspension/frame, was that done so it wouldn't be a deathtrap? how much did it cost?

I'm not a naysayer, I'm all in favour of building things for the sheer entertainment value of it! It's just briefly worth thinking "before I get the angle grinder out, is what I'm about to embark on going to have been worth the blood sweat & tears by the time it's done, or will I have knackered at least one perfectly good motorcycle to no avail?"

if the answer is "yes, it'll be teh awesum!!" then away y'go. If the answer is "hmmm, maybe I should just buy a faster / shinyer / wider bike from gumtree and go down the pub with the time and money saved..."

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online