Impromptu Camping Trip

bippo
This post is 2604 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys - I've taken the opportunity to go camping this weekend - first time with the F800GT. Absolutely loving the fact it has luggage (compared with my Street Triple). Left Surrey this morning and took the minor roads up to a regular campsite of mine near Buxton. Weather is holding out so far.

I've not had the greatest start to 2017 - so quite frankly it's just nice to chill at a campsite today, but tomorrow I'll head off for a bimble around and about (so any of my lovely Mancunian-based buddies feel free to give me a shout!).

The bike is performing well so far - I was able to pack for a somewhat luxurious camping trip (chair, walking gear, all my food/drink and most importantly my coffee bean grinder and espresso maker!) Ample room to spare too which bodes well for longer trips in the summer. As I'm getting more used to the bike I'm finding it isn't perfect - it's a no-thrills good all-rounder, but I'm enjoying it all the same!

77E4CD58-2CA4-4C7F-95FE-4D46BDADC270.jpg

• Like 5

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi bipp, nice to see you back at it so to speak, I would have loved to go for a bimble tomorrow but I've been really lazy and still not got round to cleaning my carbs, its on the list  for tomorrow if the weather is dry. Anyway enjoy your self, that bike looks heavy don't go laying it down.

• Like 1

Good for you,.  its the low F600,  I thot it was the F800GS.  . , anyway , good that your back in the frame,, B)

• Like 1

Thanks both. It has the same wet weight as my old Tiger - but a much lower centre of gravity. Feels heavy to push about but carries the weight well when you're riding.

Yeah Blackie - I've moved away from the old adventure bikes now! It's nice to have a bike with some weather protection!

• Like 2

good to see you out again Bipps, I'm out camping end of march with the scouts (Tipee camp) at Great HArwood, Lancs.

its nice to be out of the rat race if even for a little while

• Like 2

Any pics yet bipp :photo2:

No pics from my ride-out today. Went around my old stomping ground of the Peak District and had a full tank of fuel - so whilst it's incredibly picturesque, I have more than enough pics of it now!

I only did around 100 miles, but this was the first time without any luggage on the bike so that was fun. Glorious weather - coldest I saw it drop to was 9 degrees at the top of Snake Pass. Loads of bikers out, along with the usual onslaught of recreational-ists - cyclists, hikers, car clubs, etc... so it was slow moving at times, but what else can I expect from a sunny Sunday in a National Park?!

I am campsite my again tonight as I've got a half day of work tomorrow. So the bike is now waiting patiently with the panniers back on so I can make a smooth exit.

Only snaps I have is the bike by my tent...

Without luggage:

AAD07B64-0D02-4B86-8DC9-66D86C9A7EFC.jpg

And with:

42C04051-7202-4F83-903B-EECEB9C73F80.jpg

Nice and quiet at the site tonight as everyone left this morning. So just myself, some caravaners and a couple of tents, but I'm in a field all to myself. Cold night too in comparison to last night! I'm so glad I bought my down bag vs. synthetic as they just feel so inviting in comparison. I won't go cold tonight!

• Like 4

I've been up around the peak District today, kept an eye out for you bipps!

I'm hoping to go camping on Dartmoor next weekend

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah I think most of you guys thought I'd got their adventure bike, Airhead. This one is better for me - lower centre of gravity! I never quite felt confident enough with all the weight up so high on the Tiger, so I'm done with the adventure styling.

Finnerz- that's a shame you should have given me a shout! Not sure what bike you were on but didn't see any STR's. Mind you if you were out on yours then I would have heard you before I'd seen you!!

when you said you didn't have a helmet holder in the tank I was sure I saw one.

it was the F650cs, didn't know they were all so different

220px-BMW_F650_CS_storage_bag.jpg

Ahh! Not see that bike, but then again I don't really know much about their model line or history other than the fact they supplied Ewan and Charlie instead of KTM and until recently had separate left/right indicator switches which seemed to hack people off!

I though you were referring to this from Honda - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NC700_series

Yeah I think most of you guys thought I'd got their adventure bike, Airhead. This one is better for me - lower centre of gravity! I never quite felt confident enough with all the weight up so high on the Tiger, so I'm done with the adventure styling.

Finnerz- that's a shame you should have given me a shout! Not sure what bike you were on but didn't see any STR's. Mind you if you were out on yours then I would have heard you before I'd seen you!!

I was out on the Aprilia. To be fair you'd have heard that coming too! It seems i don't do quiet bikes.....

309ac45cf673624ccb39a7a1bb8ebb03.jpg

Up at Holme Moss...

• Like 3

34c0010dd953e8785b1ce37493d6ded2.jpg

[emoji41] bippo, airhead, finnerz

• Like 2

Wahey! Back when she was realllly noisy

not been to Holme moss, not too far too.

Is there a lot of bikes there (cafe/catering van?)

I went to the oil can after ;)