FJ1200 1990 - just bought one

thanetman
This post is 2774 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Yeah like Cynic I bought my own set off of ebay, best £20 I ever spent, take the rubber bungs off the carbs push on the pipes from the gauges and that's about it really, adjust all the carbs to number 3 and Roberts your fathers brother!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorted! Bumped into a decent bike mechanic by chance at a bike meet near me who used to run a bike shop. He discovered it was only running on 3 cylinders (!), checked the plugs, spark, compression test, adjusted carb mixture (carb number 4 screw had been turned out 4 times, hence why she was guzzling fuel), and synced them all for £30 and now she goes like rocket! He did give me a bit of a bollocking for not riding with my lights on in the daytime and keeping it in too low revs before changing up a gear, he said on the open road don't change up until it gets to 6000rpm when accelerating.

I've also discovered that all bmw drivers with nearly new cars insist on racing you - or trying to. It's quite nice to know a £1000, 26 year old bike can piss them off when leaving roundabouts :)

• Like 2

Yep BMW and AUDI drivers are ripe for a kicking in my opinion they think their the dog's bollocks till an old bike turns up and leaves them for dead. Don't try it on Ferrari or Lambos tho they will leave you in their dust (been there, done that!) :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thanetman said:

He did give me a bit of a bollocking for not riding with my lights on in the daytime ..............

I hope he gave you a right kick in the nuts as well :angry:

When you get on that thing this first thing your right thumb does is flick those lights on ................... ALLWAYS !!!!

Tip: get some cheap as chips LED's from China and wire them in.  The standard light is a sickly candle at best.

Yam_zpspyjs5g9z.jpg

2 hours ago, DutchFJ1200 said:

I hope he gave you a right kick in the nuts as well :angry:

When you get on that thing this first thing your right thumb does is flick those lights on ................... ALLWAYS !!!!

Or left thumb, in the case of those who own later models...

I actually tend not to bother with headlight in the daytime any more - Too many cars have their on, if not set to fog and high beam, already. I find people underestimate my speed when they see the light, whereas no light and moving appropriately within the lane gets me noticed far more.

2 hours ago, Ttaskmaster said:

I actually tend not to bother with headlight in the daytime any more - Too many cars have their on, if not set to fog and high beam, already. I find people underestimate my speed when they see the light, whereas no light and moving appropriately within the lane gets me noticed far more.

Tasky,  let's agree to disagree but I do not subscribe to your view ..... by light years :o  ..... pun....pun .... pun 

First thing I did was fit some daytime led lights, problem is they aren't as good as I thought they would be, that was what the bollocking was about as I was relying on them in the daytime instead of the dipped beam :-\ although at dusk they are pretty bright. They are on the wing mirror stalks. 

yamlights.jpg

Good man.

btw as for revving the t*ts of it until 6000 RPM ........ no need for.  You'll just spend more on chain & rubber in the long run.

With all that torque 3 or 4 K for daily use will do....... although opening up the taps once or twice is fun...fun...fun when conditions allow.

On 12/09/2016 at 6:54 PM, DutchFJ1200 said:

Tasky,  let's agree to disagree but I do not subscribe to your view ..... by light years :o  ..... pun....pun .... pun 

I know. It's my choice, but I do find I get more notice as a lightless void, especially in sunny weather when everything else on the road is shiny.

Lights on or off makes little difference. If your lights are bright they destroy others depth perseption, LED even more so, so it could be worse.

Not to mention our trucks run daytime lighting. Is 50ft long, 15ft high and people still dont see ME so i will stay on the fence re headlights.

Prob leaning tasky's way a touch. 

On 13 September 2016 at 3:52 PM, DutchFJ1200 said:

Good man.

btw as for revving the t*ts of it until 6000 RPM ........ no need for.  You'll just spend more on chain & rubber in the long run.

With all that torque 3 or 4 K for daily use will do....... although opening up the taps once or twice is fun...fun...fun when conditions allow.

I'm with Dutch on this, holding gears until 6000 rm before changing up is not something I'd recommend on an FJ - you'd never get out of 3rd gear legally in the UK.

in normal use, 3k - 4k is plenty for keeping up with traffic (except for on dual carriageways and motorways), but taking it up to 5k and more really does bring a smile to my face.

It does to me when I do occasionally go past 5000 rpm  in 2nd gear :)

On a different note I've noticed when I close the throttle or use the gears to slow the bike down there sounds like a bit of backfiring or popping sort of like the 2 strokes of the old days - but not when you accelerate. Is that normal? Having only had bikes with one cylinder before this is new stuff to me!

Backfiring and popping could be a sign of a hole in the exhaust, or possibly fuel mixture is off...?

Get the tank off and check the carbs are balanced. It's piss-easy on an FJ!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thanetman said:

It does to me when I do occasionally go past 5000 rpm  in 2nd gear :)

Be careful with that 2nd gear. The teeth on the cog of 2nd are made of cheese so I wouldn't make a habit of that. 3rd,4th & 5th fill yer boots but mind that 2nd mate.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DutchFJ1200 said:

Be careful with that 2nd gear. The teeth on the cog of 2nd are made of cheese so I wouldn't make a habit of that. 3rd,4th & 5th fill yer boots but mind that 2nd mate.

Yes I read up about this which could explain why when I put it into second gear sometimes the engine just revs up instead of engaging - embarrassing when in a narrow street as everyone turns and looks at you :(

Can you get a double bubble screen for the FJ or some sort of second screen to keep the flies out my eyes?

16 hours ago, Ttaskmaster said:

Backfiring and popping could be a sign of a hole in the exhaust, or possibly fuel mixture is off...?

Get the tank off and check the carbs are balanced. It's piss-easy on an FJ!!

The carbs we're only balanced two weeks ago so guess it's fuel mixture - do I need to turn the screws in or out?

2 hours ago, thanetman said:

Can you get a double bubble screen for the FJ or some sort of second screen to keep the flies out my eyes?

The carbs we're only balanced two weeks ago so guess it's fuel mixture - do I need to turn the screws in or out?

Yes, you can get a double-bubble. It's sort-of square and kinda odd. There is also a touring screen with higher and more curved lip. However, the screen is shaped as it is so you can get your face down against the clocks and nail it, which also helps keep the wind and rain off your lid... not that I've tried, heh heh!!

Carbs: http://www.fj1200.info/mixture_screws.htm

• Like 2

Why not look here - flip up touring screen only £43 or £46

http://www.fjcatalogue.com/body.html

ive got one (the smoked one) and it works perfectly for me (I'm 5'8") - but I prefer the smaller standard screen for just hooning about.

• Like 2