YBR125 Problem.

MC900
This post is 3044 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys. Yesterday I tried starting my bike and it wouldn't have it. Eventually after me putting it in gear and clutch in it started. This was a coincidence though because after filling up at a petrol station it wouldn't start again in gear or neutral. 

This problem doesnt happen all the time, it can go weeks without happening or happen once then start the 2nd time. It doesnt seem to be weather/temp related as it happens when cold or hot starting. 

Ive had this problem for a while along with another problem which is probably related. My bike would cut out and not start, or if it did start it would cut out couple of seconds down the road and struggle to start again. I recently had the fuel injector cleaned and my bike started running after being unable to get it going for a few days, but the bike still sometimes struggles to start and still cuts out mostly when first starting it up from cold. 

Things ive done to the bike. 

Replaced spark plug 
Had fuel injector cleaned 
Had neutral switch replaced because that broke 

I have took the bike to 2 garages and none of them know what is wrong with the bike. The first garage reckons it is the piston rings worn out (a few other mechanics including the 2nd garage told me that its definitely not that). The 2nd garage couldnt find any problems with the bike, the mechanic had a test ride and it cut out on him but he didnt know what it was and told me to take it to a main dealer if it keeps happening. 

If anyone can help with this problem it would be greatly appreciated because its ongoing and pissing me off ;p. I have a video of today when it struggled to start, maybe it will help. Cheers. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-bzf4RMzsM

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
1 hour ago, nigel smith said:

Hi mc900

There are a lot of people on here who I'm sure can help you !! but first go to the new members section and introduce yourself or they probably won't bother with you as they get a lot of one hit wonders,

cheers

nige. 

Cheers ill sort that out now :)

a good garage would do a compression test (very easy to do with the right tool)

at first I thought it might be the safety relay, that is needed to start the bike and is activated by the side stand switch, clutch switch and neutral switch.

wonder if its a loose/dirty wire, worth disconnecting and reconnecting on the relays and see what happens. I suggest you get a manual for it as they will give you troubleshooting guides too

Not familiar with the bike, but Ive looked at the vid and the battery sounds weak, id have expected a good one to have turned the motor over with more gusto than that. Id first check connections/earths etc, then make sure its fully charged and filled to the correct level, with correct specific gravity. 

4 hours ago, neversaydie said:

Not familiar with the bike, but Ive looked at the vid and the battery sounds weak, id have expected a good one to have turned the motor over with more gusto than that. Id first check connections/earths etc, then make sure its fully charged and filled to the correct level, with correct specific gravity. 

So a fucked battery could possibly be the reason? Would it cause the bike to cut out as well as bad starting?My battery is maintenance free so doesn't need filling up. Cheers.

5 hours ago, drewpy said:

a good garage would do a compression test (very easy to do with the right tool)

at first I thought it might be the safety relay, that is needed to start the bike and is activated by the side stand switch, clutch switch and neutral switch.

wonder if its a loose/dirty wire, worth disconnecting and reconnecting on the relays and see what happens. I suggest you get a manual for it as they will give you troubleshooting guides too

I've got the Haynes manual, I could try and get a compression test done. Cheers for the help.

Same as above really, I don't know your specific bike but try putting the bike on charge over night that might help. When it's running check the output to the battery, use a multi meter across the battery terminals and check how well it's charging, should be around 14.5 volts with the engine running, try watching this to give you an idea on how to do it https://youtu.be/dB7CFqVlhtI

Hope that helps, if not come back and we will see what else we can suggest. Good luck.

Weak battery maybe, fuel pressure is the problem, check the pump would be my choice because that's what my car did and it stopped with a new fuel filter.

YIP "   you said it started better AFTER the injector was done, then re-occurred  later ,  drain tank, clean it out , and filter,