Rear shock gone after 1500 miles

Rayfrombideford
This post is 3124 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Morning everyone. The rear shock on my FJR 1300AS is leaking after just 1538 miles.  My bike is 118 days out of warranty and so I asked the cost of a new one. A new shock is £5149, I was staggered. Has anyone had a similar experience? 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

No, but they do have a hard life, mine is original from 2001 but just bought a new one from France for £175, if you go to ebay and put in FJR1300 shock absorber you will find dozens of them on there, choice is yours from new to really used! What year is your bike? and did you get it from new? Cos if you bought it new then you have a 2 year warranty on parts, don't listen to them telling you it's not under warranty cos if nothing else the EU rules and regs say it has to have a "reasonable" life and 1500 miles is NOT reasonable.

Go here and read what it says, print it out and take it back to your dealer, THEY HAVE NO CHOICE other than to replace faulty goods. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

If you get nowhere with that get back to me and I will tell you how to get it sorted.

You don't say but where in the UK are you? (helps if you fill out your details)

One other thing PLEASE do an INTRO in new members section, it helps if folks think your serious and not a one hit wonder.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the figure of £5149 for a replacement shock? cos they have NEVER cost that much even the top quality after market ones are only £800 to £900 .

Edited by slice

Oh Shit didn't even see that, thanks Kev. Image result for emoticons DOH

Ok moving swiftly on !! Try looking here as well, Citizens advice can be a source of help.  Look here. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/claim-using-a-warranty-or-guarantee/

Edited by slice

Posh no. That is a standard UK price for the shock. Bearing in mind my bike is electronic suspension. On top of that there is £250 labour charge. Also Slice the bike is 118 days over its two year warranty. 

Ok Ray, first things first, are you a member of the FJ owners club? If not join today www.fjclub.co.uk (click on the fjr catalogue, bottom left side)  they will give you a price for supply or supply and fit that I'm pretty sure will be much much cheaper than you have been quoted, go to the website and see what they price your shock at, quite a few on here are members and we all save money on parts by dealing with them. Really knowledgable about the FJ and FJR as that's all they work on. Can you answer the question tho is your bike new? and I still say that if it has done 1500 miles from new then the  shock is not fit for purpose and you should have a case to get it replaced under their guarantee,

Look here for the price of a NEW shock supplied by the club http://www.fjrcatalogue.com/catalog/item/8976934/7684359.htm one of the best out there and THOUSANDS cheaper than you were quoted.

Edited by slice

That's eye-watering!

Slice has a good point about whether you bought the bike new. At 1,500 miles you wouldn't really expect it to fail.

Oh and unfortunately I just noticed the part you listed up Slice doesn't fit the AS model, which Ray has... What a bugger!

I think I would give Yamaha UK a ring on 01932 358000 and have a friendly chat with their warranty dept and explain the situation as they may still honour the claim. Found this on the web and it looks like you're not the only one to have a leaking rear shock http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-used/buyer-guide-yamaha-fjr1300/14369-2.html. 

If you look on the Yamaha Motor UK website and look under services / modification checker you can enter your VIN and see if there have been any recalls in that area.

Tony

Edited by YPVSTony

I did not own the bike from new. The price of a replacement was quoted by my local Yamaha dealer so it's a genuine price. Yamaha have been spoken to. They did not offer to replace it. Surely Yamaha would want to know why this essential piece of kit has failed, I thought. Surely they would want to know in case there could be a recall to check others ............... If I was in their position I would certainly want to know why it has failed and have the bike in the factory workshops to examine it.........

Sorry to belabour the point Ray but HOW OLD is the bike? If you have done 1500 miles but the bike has done 100,000 then it's due a new one anyway.

Ok if the one I pointed out don't fit this one will it's for ALL models and costs £389 http://www.fjrcatalogue.com/catalog/item/8976934/7692238.htm

Still don't see where the other £4000 odd quid extra comes from? I bought mine for just over 2 grand and that was with all the travelling included. I could have bought 3 at that price !!!

Edited by slice

Hi Slice,

The bike is 2 years 7 months old. The TOTAL mileage the bike has done since new is 1,538 miles. The price of £5139 has come from a Yamaha decker and Yamaha themselves 

Slice,

I have looked at the shock on the link but it does not appear to be the correct one that fits the AS, in other words it does not fit the electronic adjustable suspension 

Ok Ray, fair enough, you can have a look at the one from the FJ club that will fit your bike and if you ride it there they will fit it the same day, once youe've booked it in of course. Look at their listed price for shock replacement and add the two together and that's what you pay. Good hunting.

Ray, just so I'm clear on this, you don't want an after market part you want the original part as supplied by Yamaha is that correct? The only reason I ask is that if you want to have a new suspension that works with your bike you either need the original or a replacement and the original is what costs so much money I'm talking NON-ORIGINAL parts here that will fit your bike and work better but if you wnat an original part them your going to have to fork out a lot more money, the after market parts are better in most respects up to and including materials used and quality of the finish. This is just so I'm clear on what your after you understand as there's no point my telling you about a part if your going down the original equipment route.

I will phone Doc at the FJ club later today and see if he can give me a price to supply and fit a mono shock for you. This does mean you will have to join the club but at £12 a year it's nothing if you save 4 grand on your bikes parts.

Ray, just spoke to the FJ club and told them your tale of woe, they confirm that your shock being so new is not as yet available but there are shocks that will fit. I'm  going to send you a PM message and perhaps when you get a minute you can give me a call.

The TOTAL mileage the bike has done since new is 1,538 miles.

With this information alone, I think Trading Standards would take your case on! Certainly they will offer a wealth of *free* legal advice and guidance in getting this sorted. Give your local TS service a ring or drop them an email.
The part must be fit for purpose and exhibit a reasonable life expectancy. 1500 miles is NOT fit for purpose and clearly defective!!

Also, £5,000 sounds like what a new bike would cost, not just one sodding part... I would really recommend not going through a dealer unless you enjoy being shafted!

Tasky I'm afraid Ray is right the part new, there are no second hand ones, is £5000 plus. I have sent Ray a PM cos I have had a word with Doc at the FJ lub and he want's to see the bike.

1500 miles on a shock and it's knackered?  Either you're one massive heffalump or  the part has a manufacturing defect.

My V Strom has 21,000 miles on the clock at least half of them two up,  and it's still fine. I'd write to Yamaha customer services direct and ask them to replace the part free of charge.

I'm absolutely astonished at the cost of the part. Are bikes getting too sophisticated? Is electronically controlled suspension something which benefits ordinary everday road riders.? or are the EU in cahoots with manufacturers to stop us servicing our own bikes. Id have something that Ive a fair chance of keeping on the road myself, arther than something on which the constituent parts value totals 20 times more than the bike costs.

Only a suggestion, but is there not a bog standard non electronic new shock from another model that can slot in, and use it without the leccytronicals? 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online