theory test

paul tucker 73
This post is 3052 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Do the mock tests and above all else relax - you have so much time in there to do it. Remember you can go back over everything at the end too. Make sure you know the motorbike related questions. Good luck

• Like 1

I used the theory pro iPhone app and it was very very good. 1 question wrong on multiple choice and 5, 4 and a few 3s on hazard perception. A very good resource for me.

• Like 1

if your intelligent  you will pass

if your thick you will fail,

so ! no pressure then :lol:.

good luck.

• Like 1

As per Kev's response ha-ha

Take your time, you paid for the test so use all the time given and even try and blag a cuppa too!

• Like 1

to be totally honest , it's swings and roundabouts  that theory test and heres why .

my youngest son was 18  when he took his theory test , and he is very bright , im not just saying it , he is.

yet it took him five attempts to pass,

now  ! I know I shouldn't and I love him with all my heart , but my eldest lad is as thick as two short planks, he has dyslexia and needed help with the theory test ,

yet he passed it the first time.

• Like 2

Theory is multiple choice. Fairly easy.

The bugger IMO is the Hazard Perception, as you're watching pixels on a screen rather than seeing things for real. Instead of seeing a 'thing' that might be a hazard, you're seeing a blocky blur that only comes into focus when you're right atop the bloody thing.

They really ought to have at LEAST 1920x1080p res monitors in these centres!

Its recently changed to all CGI - much better. In the app I discovered I was pressing marginally before they expected sometimes and then not getting any points. I then always double tapped. Seemed to work out ok.

after I did my  "A"  test  back in the day I was asked three highway code questions ,

I only got one right , one wrong , and argued about the third , (I was wrong ),

he still passed me , ok I know you all want to know what question I argued about, "well"

he asked me the stopping distance at forty mph , and I said their isn't one :)

he said take your time and think about it, :headscratch: I said theirs 30mph 50mph and 70mph

the cheeky bastard asked me if I had opened my highway code book. 

he frowned and said unfortunately im going to pass you on your riding ability but when you have a few spare moments ,

open your highway code book and have a look at it ,:o   I thought he was so rude, I have feelings you know

• Like 3

Never ridden with Kev then? Stopping distance table stops a little early. If you get my drift.

glad you all brought this up...what are the stopping distances for bikes...do I just study the highway code...are cars and bikes under the same category...?  best way to put this I suppose is do car and bike testers get the same questions...or is it bike specific?

Edited by paul tucker 73

Buy a copy of the Highway Code - it is your friend. All theory test questions are contained in this book. Predominantly car and bike theory tests are the same, however there are some sets of different questions, such as luggage on the bike etc.

As far as the tests are concerned, there's only 1 stopping distance set.

I passed my car test before the theory was introduced [by a few months]. Back then, it was the "here's a few [literally] questions once we've returned to the test centre". I was asked the questions, and pretty much burst out laughing - they were the exact same small set that my instructor had tested me on before we'd went in.

This was also my third attempt, so I wondered if he'd bribed the examiner.

As for the modern theory test, about 60-70% of the questions are common sense. "What should you do if someone cuts you off?"
a ) Overtake at the next opportunity and then cut them off;
b ) Accelerate right up to them and be six inches off of their rear bumber;
c ) Drop back slightly to increase the distance between you;
d ) shout and scream at them while blaring the horn

that's not an actual question, but not far off some of them...

Its recently changed to all CGI - much better.

Mine was still video back when I passed it in November last year.

As far as the tests are concerned, there's only 1 stopping distance set.

I never learned the stopping distances. Don't need to, IMO, along with the percentage of pollution that traffic fumes contribute. Knowing this shit doesn't make me a better driver/rider in the slightest.

IMO, the 2-second Rule is far more useful than knowing my car (if it's an average one) requires 36' of thinking distance, 29' of reaction distance and 72yds of stopping distance... or whatever... because unless I am going to jump out of my vehicle at 70mph and actually measure these values, it means fuck all. More importantly, whatever averages they may have figured these distances on, the vehicle I have will almost certainly be different.

What matters most is that you can maintain a safe following distance and stop within the space you can see is clear.

If I have to be going along doing maths based on speeds and distances then my full attention is not on the road and I'm a fucking danger!

Learn them for the test, or just hope you don't get asked on them.

• Like 1

Captf, I like "B" first then followed by "D" at which point I would use A"" Fuck "C"  :biglaugha:

• Like 1

I never learned the stopping distances. Don't need to, IMO, along with the percentage of pollution that traffic fumes contribute. Knowing this shit doesn't make me a better driver/rider in the slightest.

IMO, the 2-second Rule is far more useful than knowing my car (if it's an average one) requires 36' of thinking distance, 29' of reaction distance and 72yds of stopping distance... or whatever... because unless I am going to jump out of my vehicle at 70mph and actually measure these values, it means fuck all. More importantly, whatever averages they may have figured these distances on, the vehicle I have will almost certainly be different.

Same - I learnt them for the tests, then forgot them.

2 second rule is far more useful, as well as sitting a little to one side to give me some swerve space.