Too much engine oil over virago xv125

below_u_2
This post is 3206 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I have added a little engine oil in my bike but it looks like it has now gone over the max line. Do I have to drain a bit out or will it be OK? It's mixed reviews when I search for it but most say drain off. I'm new to motorbikes and to have mine repaired just cost me near £600. Manifold, front brake disc and pads, carb clean, new front wheel, gasket, o-rings, but my bike was a little spluttering after all the work and my engine oil looked low, thought the garage was pulling a fast one to get more work out of me. I'm trying to find a manual online so I can start repairing myself. Any advice please 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If it's really over full ie past the point where you can see through the sight class then yes drain it all off and pour it back in, if it's just over the full mark ie where the dot is on the casing and you can still see metal at the back of the class then no your probably ok just to run it till you burn off the excess.

Cheers mate. It is well over, ie the window is totally full. Just tried undue draining bolt and that isn't moving for nothing. Think it'll have go back garage once more. They must love me. If I remove the filter cover, rather than bolt I should get it out that way shouldn't I? I know it'll create a mess but can't see any other way of getting the thing out now by myself. Cars are so much easier play with, but I love the bike haha

Yeah that would do it but you will only loose about 500mil of oil, is that enough do you think? Why won't the drain plug come out? Is it just tight or is it rounded off? Don't run the engine thinking that you can fire some more oil out that way, it will go everywhere. Is there no external oil pipe you could undo?

How about a length of rubber hose that you can shove down the filler hole and suck it out if all else fails, your gunna get  a gob full of oil but it might work.

Edited by slice

Nice idea. Used to petrol that way haha. I think there is about 200 mill over, ish, so I'll do filter first then the syphon technique if I have to. It is far to tight and I almost started rounding it off undoing it. I'm not a weakling either. My own fault I asked missus hold it upright but she didn't hold it upright fully. 

Without a manual I wouldn't know where to start looking for external pipe. It is all encased as far as u can see. Like I say, bikes are not my speciality. It'll be OK run up Road won't it, don't want dump it all in front of my front door 

For future reference, when you tighten the oil drain plug as long as it is fitted with a good copper washer you don't need to go mad when tightening it. Presumably if you are using a socket and ratchet just tighten it up until it stops then just tighten a further 1/4 turn and that will suffice. 

As for the oil filter, it only needs to be hand tight (honestly), so when screwing it on by hand when it gets a bit tight just tighten it in about 1/8 more.

Thanks mate but I didn't tighten the oil drain screw. I wouldn't of put it that tight just in case of the head shearing off seeing as the bike is 15 years old. Nice to know about the filter though. I'll let you know how I get on. The guy I bought this from just over a month ago said he had done all this work already. I just saw it and thought " looks awesome, mine ". I think the guy who sold it me just was a cowboy to be honest. But nice to know there is genuine peeps out there willing to help. Thank you 

Only try to undo the drain screw with a socket(6 point preferably), or a ring spanner, never an adjustable or open ender.

You could try getting the excess oil out with one of those meat basting things, you know, with the squeezy rubber ball on the end. 

If youve had the carb cleaned and its not running right, take it back

I have a copy of the xv 250 parts manual, the exploded drawings would be useful for seeing how parts are arranged/assembled if youre serious about doing stuff yourself

Without wanting to insult, you do know how to actually check the oil level?

As example my TDR250 needs to be checked after running the engine otherwise it looks way overfull.

It may explain it appearing overfull.

It may also be the garage but you don't want to be draining it down if its right.

Cars are so much easier play with, but I love the bike haha

I'm guessing you haven't worked on many BMWs...?

The sump bolt is likely over tightened or torqued up, the later of which may just require a breaker bar.

Don't run the engine thinking that you can fire some more oil out that way, it will go everywhere.

Not quite...

The more accurate statement would be: "Don't do it - It will go fucking EVERWHERE!!!!!"... trust me on this! ;)

• Like 1

If you get around 50ml out by the filter, just put the filter back on and run the engine for a bit to refill the filter then take it out again, repeat until you have the level where it should be, then let the garage deal with the drain plug at the next service.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online