My poor butt...

captf
This post is 3220 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Necessity meant that I travelled 700 miles on the XJ this weekend [a wedding on Sunday up in Aviemore]. My butt was killing me by the end. Didn't help that I didn't really have the option of time for a scenic route. Although, the A9 did have some gorgeous sights once you got north of Perth.

That seat isn't designed for long distances. I may have to get a bagster replacement [or similar]. I'll never manage an Iron Butt on the stock seat. :(

But far too often I'd glance down and go "well, that isn't 70mph. Ahem"

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A different seat will certainly help you. Not long after I got my ST I changed the seat for one with 20mm more padding. Funnily enough, today I've been given a courtesy STR - my first jaunt on one with the stock seat since I got mine last year. Ouch...! So well worth the money if you put in the miles. When I did my Iron Butt, I got to around the 700 mile mark before things really started to hurt... So overall I'm happy with the investment.

Aside from that - did you enjoy taking the bike on a long run?

A different seat will certainly help you. Not long after I got my ST I changed the seat for one with 20mm more padding. Funnily enough, today I've been given a courtesy STR - my first jaunt on one with the stock seat since I got mine last year. Ouch...! So well worth the money if you put in the miles. When I did my Iron Butt, I got to around the 700 mile mark before things really started to hurt... So overall I'm happy with the investment.

Aside from that - did you enjoy taking the bike on a long run?

The seat I saw was £210. But if I end up needing to do a couple more runs that go in excess of 100 miles, I'll be investing in one.
I don't think it's any thicker - just more cushioned. [If it's thicker, I'll need to likely drop the back suspension a bit to be able to get my feet on the ground. Damn stumpy legs!]

For enjoying it, because I was pretty much motorway [M602 -> M61 -> M6 -> M74], it was boring. Just glad I had music to listen to in my helmet.
But, I found when I did a Glasgow trip - and a run to my old home town of Largs - that even the motorway on a bike is more interesting than a car. Being slightly higher up gives a view that you don't see otherwise. The run from Glasgow to Largs was nice too - good twisty route on that.
And holy shit: the Cairngorms had glorious landscapes. Pity it wasn't sunny.

My left hip is killing me mainly right now. I must sit oddly on the bike. But I have covered ~1.5k miles in the past 3 weeks. Mostly over 3 trips. [The 3rd was to the southern Lakes to meet up with my parents]

The pants for my 2 piece has built in padding, so its all good.... maybe a cheaper alternative? 

The seat I saw was £210. But if I end up needing to do a couple more runs that go in excess of 100 miles, I'll be investing in one.I don't think it's any thicker - just more cushioned. [If it's thicker, I'll need to likely drop the back suspension a bit to be able to get my feet on the ground. Damn stumpy legs!]

For enjoying it, because I was pretty much motorway [M602 -> M61 -> M6 -> M74], it was boring. Just glad I had music to listen to in my helmet.
But, I found when I did a Glasgow trip - and a run to my old home town of Largs - that even the motorway on a bike is more interesting than a car. Being slightly higher up gives a view that you don't see otherwise. The run from Glasgow to Largs was nice too - good twisty route on that.
And holy shit: the Cairngorms had glorious landscapes. Pity it wasn't sunny.

My left hip is killing me mainly right now. I must sit oddly on the bike. But I have covered ~1.5k miles in the past 3 weeks. Mostly over 3 trips. [The 3rd was to the southern Lakes to meet up with my parents]

Would be good if you had a way of trying a seat out before you stump up that kind of dosh! Silkk also raises a good point, I've heard of some folks putting padded cycling shorts on under their gear for more comfort. I plan on doing a SaddleSore 2000 this year so think I may go down that route... Cheap.

Anyway, glad you're gettin out and enjoying the bike. Mine has been neglected but am hoping I'll be able to get out at the weekend. I may try to swing by Squires to say howdy to Blackhat and Airhead etc. If you're about we could convoy - would be good to meet.

Another cheaper option, would be to get your original seat re-upholstered. 
I have seen quite a few stalls like that at Bike Rallies etc, think the last one I got done was my CBR's at BikeFest at Donnington 

Would be good if you had a way of trying a seat out before you stump up that kind of dosh! Silkk also raises a good point, I've heard of some folks putting padded cycling shorts on under their gear for more comfort. I plan on doing a SaddleSore 2000 this year so think I may go down that route... Cheap.

Anyway, glad you're gettin out and enjoying the bike. Mine has been neglected but am hoping I'll be able to get out at the weekend. I may try to swing by Squires to say howdy to Blackhat and Airhead etc. If you're about we could convoy - would be good to meet.

Yeah, I had someone else mention the cycle shorts to me, which is also tempting.
But a seat is as well, since that'll be always comfier! :D

This weekend, I should really be cleaning the bike [it's a bit grotty after the brutal massacre of so many flies, and needs a proper clean of the chain] and defunking my helmet [which sounds rather dodgy], but might be jumping over to the Stalybridge show, since it's nearby.

Another cheaper option, would be to get your original seat re-upholstered. 
I have seen quite a few stalls like that at Bike Rallies etc, think the last one I got done was my CBR's at BikeFest at Donnington 

That also sounds tempting. Wonder what the prices for that go into.

My CBR was £30 about 6 years ago now, so prices may have gone up. But have a quick check on google for Car Reupholsters, they will normally do a bike seat too :) 

Summer bugs... The feckers get everywhere... I cleaned my bike last night at 10.30pm - nice and dark, but cool ha ha!

Google Tony Archer in Huddersfield. Never used myself but heard good things about the quality of his work. Sure some of the guys on here have used him in the past for seat.

What about a Gel  seat "   Anyway,   next time you coming north  Take  the A7  [ at Carlisle ]  you"l be at Edinburgh before you know it. super road,  then just 35mls to Perth,,, options then are A9/ A93/ A82.  all them are spectacular,   From Yorkshire  the Skipton -Kendal route is great,   fk them motorways,,,

When I head north, it's typically going to be Glasgow and the west coast I'll be heading for.

I'll likely try and come off to head towards Kilmarnock [can't remember the road off hand]

Cheaper alternative method is to buy a packet of man the feck up pills ;) ha-ha only kidding 

Down ear a bloke re skins and pads seat for roughly £70 depending what shape you want the foam and what covering plus piping you want. only down near Haynes Motor museum in Sparkford

I happily admit t being a big girl's blouse.

Sparkford is a wee bit of a jaunt to get a seat sorted. Hell, I'd need it then and there if I did that ride.
.. and that doesn't sound dodgy in the slightest :D

• Like 1

Captf, the FJ had a Tony Archer set on it, really comfy after the original log that they call a seat on the FJ, was going to get the gel seat option done still might on the FJR as I want to go to Portugal for the Moto GP. Tony Archer will reskin your seat and just charge for the gel pack and the time to refit your original seat cover, give them a call.

+1 on Tony Archer. I bought a Mustang Seat for the XVS1300 which the wife still said was uncomfortable - Tony sorted the pillion for her and would've been much cheaper than buying a replacement.

Necessity meant that I travelled 700 miles on the XJ this weekend [a wedding on Sunday up in Aviemore]. My butt was killing me by the end. Didn't help that I didn't really have the option of time for a scenic route. Although, the A9 did have some gorgeous sights once you got north of Perth.

That seat isn't designed for long distances. I may have to get a bagster replacement [or similar]. I'll never manage an Iron Butt on the stock seat. :(

But far too often I'd glance down and go "well, that isn't 70mph. Ahem"

I did 850 miles in a day on an XJ6, I was fine, the worst bit was trying to get all the grime out of my face - diesel fume gunge...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online