Scottoiler oil?

slice
This post is 3424 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have just got myself a Scottoiler and was wondering, what oil do you use in it? Must I use the stuff they sell or can I use standard 20-50 motor oil instead, it's just that I have shed loads of 20-50 car oil and the oil they sell is a tad expensive like £6 for 500 mil. I can get half a gallon of rough car oil for that, so anyone know what will work and what won't? Thanks all.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Read somewhere that the scottoil is more eco friendly, I use turbine oil because it's free. Theoretically I don't see why you can't use something of similar viscosity that is safe for oring chains

Thanks Foams. :jossun:

I just use the blue stuff.

A single 250ml bottle lasts me a good 18 months, despite the fairly high mileage and handily it even fits in a little placcy bag in the behind-seat compartment next to my toolkit, spare bulbs, tyre repair kit, maintenance log and so on!!

Thanks Tasky, was just curious as I have, as I said, tons of oil in the shed and wanted to find something to use it up on, it's from another car that I sold years ago and no use to me as I use fully synth oil now.

I do know some people use their old engine oil....

I do know some people use their old engine oil....

Yup but not in a scottoiler. Every 2 weeks a generous helping in a cut in half milk 2 pinter and drag the rear sprocket through it.

Off course oil soaking nappies on the floor to catch the surplus.

Yup but not in a scottoiler.

Apparently, they do!!

I imagine you have to filter it first, though.

Seem to have misled you all, the oil I have is new oil (for the wife's old Citroen) in 5 gallon tins not old engine oil. Hope that clears it up ?

Apparently, they do!!

I imagine you have to filter it first, though.

Correction :eusa_doh:

Yes, I mean some may do but I aint got a scott oiler ...... ehm.... I do .... I drag my chain thru old engine oil every 2 weeks ....

Ahhhh .... shucks ...... how did I get here ........ you with me, capiche ??

Correction :eusa_doh:

Yes, I mean some may do but I aint got a scott oiler ...... ehm.... I do .... I drag my chain thru old engine oil every 2 weeks ....

Ahhhh .... shucks ...... how did I get here ........ you with me, capiche ??

No worries, mate, I understand.... just... try and have the garage door open when working with fluids in future, yeh? :P

I know a lot of people use chainsaw oil as it's cheap and anti-fling. (I use Scotoiler blue oil myself)

Yup but not in a scottoiler. Every 2 weeks a generous helping in a cut in half milk 2 pinter and drag the rear sprocket through it.

Off course oil soaking nappies on the floor to catch the surplus.

nooooo don't use use nappies. what you need is "TASKYS TURDS"

check out this thread stated by slice back in the summer. :fingerwave:

• Like 1

Thanks meatloaf completely forgot about Taskys turds, well you would wouldn't you ? :biglaugha:

OMG, is that really what I'm gonna be remembered for...?

How come none of you have placed an order yet, anyway? We have a Christmas 2 for 1, you know!

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online