Warranty Issue??

Kevinp4966
This post is 3476 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Yeah it's fuell injected I don't use the throttle starting but it still doesn't want to start, Tuesday I'm going to empty the tank and try some different fuel thinking it could be an additive it doesn't like?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Take it back to the shop and get a full refund. If it doesn't start now, what are you going to do during the winter and in a couple of years? A bike that does not start is not fit for purpose.

• Like 1

Just a quick question, what additive have you put in if any? Just thinking why would your mind go to draining the tank as a reason for it not starting? If you have bunged something in like REDEX or something similar then that should not make a difference unless you tipped the whole bottle in. Just curious that's all. :jossun:

Got to agree with NSD it could be anything from a faulty fuel pump not building pressure,to a pickup coil, a cdi with a glitch.Intermitiant problems can be a mare to find but it's under warenty and they can swap parts till they find it.

Its a new bike and you shouldn't be haveing these issues and they are not your problem to sort out.Just take it back even if you have to leave it with them for a day so they can get the bike to fault out and fix it.

slice

The way I read it is he is going to change the petrol provider ie supermarket pump to BP (others are available) or some such thing, and he's thinking about any additives the original refinery put in

Ah I see sorry just a random thought, thanks Jimmy.

Does it need the clutch pulled in?

Try a couple twists of the throttle before you gun the starter.

Then also try giving it a bit of throttle as you start it.

If it still doesn't work, have them come take it away and demand a completely new one, or a full refund if the replacement is also fucked.

Task on a fuel injected bike twisting the throttle aint going to do shit prior to starting .And twisting the throttle will only make it lean untill its running...I would say it has something do with a temp sensor not inriching the cold start but it's not his problem it has 2 years warenty

I was talking about changing the fuel provider from Tesco to no slice thinking it's possibly an additive from the refinery.

I've had the bike checked and it's behaved fine at the dealers and when I picked it up but it's now miss behaving as it's cold.

I'm going to give them a ring tomorrow see if they can come take a look at it, or if it's dry I'll run it up there.

It's not a case of it not starting at all it does eventually start but it sounds like it's straining and takes its sweet time, smells very rich when it then does start until it's warm.

Going back to basics - is the spark plug gap correct? Could have been missed on pre delivery inspection. Why not video it when it's cold so they can see the issue.

Excelent idea Elvis :headbang: ....video it then they can't refute it :smash: case closed.

Though I am leaning towards your being not familar with a injected bike and nit picking.It will run rich till warm,its suposed to untill the 02 sensor can warm up and adjust the mix.

I changed my fuell from Tesco 99 octane momentum to BPs 97 octane, starts immediately and smells fine too now guess it's picky with what you put in to tank.

Case closed :) farts along nicely now.

• Like 2

Thats good it worked out for you,shame the fuel companys cant stop messing with it and don't realy consider how it affects bikes.I try to buy my gas from the places that sell the most so at least you know it's fresh,The B dont seem to care what I put in but the wr sure does.

What octain rating is the bike suggested to use?

Thats good it worked out for you,shame the fuel companys cant stop messing with it and don't realy consider how it affects bikes.I try to buy my gas from the places that sell the most so at least you know it's fresh,The B dont seem to care what I put in but the wr sure does.

Generally, we have a choice of 2, unleaded and super unleaded

Generally, super unleaded in the uk does not contain ethanol

Both of mine run better on super

The manual states a minimum of 95, runs like shit, so tried the 97 from BP ran smooth as silk then just because it was closer filled it with Tesco fuel and it started having issues with starting.. changed back to bps 97 and it's running sweet as again.

The manual states a minimum of 95, runs like shit, so tried the 97 from BP ran smooth as silk then just because it was closer filled it with Tesco fuel and it started having issues with starting.. changed back to bps 97 and it's running sweet as again.

Got to say that I'm a bit surprised that a 125 is behaving that sensitively to fuel :eusa_think: The only thing I can think is that, if you had been using the same petrol station, they haven't been keeping their fuel tanks clean. Keep an eye out on the local paper to see if anyone else has made complaints about it!

I never use supermarket fuels for this same reason - My bikes never liked it.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to say that I'm a bit surprised that a 125 is behaving that sensitively to fuel :eusa_think: The only thing I can think is that, if you had been using the same petrol station, they haven't been keeping their fuel tanks clean. Keep an eye out on the local paper to see if anyone else has made complaints about it!

Very good point Katie we have fuel(if you want to call it that) as low as 87 with 10-15% eth and my bikes will run on it start fine but I can feel the difference in power.Most station's only have 91 as thier top fuel,odd that it would make that much of a difference on the starting.

I will have to find out if ther is some sort of different rating between your gas and ours.I realy can't see how ,as octain rating is the ability to resist knocking/pinging nothing to do with how well it burns or how much power you get from it. Infact the higher the octain rating the harder it is to get it to burn.Race fuels are a different story. And avation fuels have had eth in them for decades to keep the fuel from freezing.Back in the 70's everyone put methonal in the tank here to keep the carb and fuel lines from freezing up in the winter.

Glad you got it running right and your happy Kevin,I would think if it wasn't solved you would have said something by now,more likely that what Katie said is true,, it's the station over the fuel being the problem.