Really frustrated at running engine in

Grouch
This post is 3770 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you have to get rid of all the filings and sharp edges the knobheads leave in

This is so bang on, :yeah: i remember a Compressor [ new V4 ] it was clattering after a few hrs running, we whipped off the heads, and there was a nut jammed between the valve plates, left in by the factory builders, We also dropped the oil after 100 hrs . and did an acid test to show any traces of metals in oil, thats the reason of running in new engines,

increase the revs a bit groucho, just dont hold it flat out,,

I remember running in our 2 strokes , they wouldn"t rev out when time came to cane them,, :shakeno: smoked like hell too..

Think that's gonna end up back on ebay foamy has the XT curse!

buy it off him Tommy, you need a project :)

Don't need the curse!! & I have a project I've had it for years just never got time to start it, definitely don't need another one

the other xs?

The first service is meant to be free but, because I am taking it to a different Yamaha dealers from where I bought it Im getting charged £80/90. I bought it from a dealers in St. Helens (50 odd miles away from me) because it was £205 cheaper than anywhere else and their finance was low.

Well you've still saved overall Grouch, St Helen's isn't far from me but wouldn't want to spend the day there waiting for my bike, although its not a bad ride

if you can get a time slot for the service from where you bought it might not be such a bad day you have to take into account if you would have to take time off work for it and fuel cost can't expect your local dealer to do it for free when you went elsewhere to buy your bike, Lesson learned next play the dealers off each other and try to buy local I'm sure they could have at least matched the price if you had give them the chance.

I would certainly consider traveling the 100 odd miles (round trip) for a free service. Dunno how much you're earning, but at min wage that 80 quid is over 12 hours work - before tax!

I would much rather hang around the shitest place for a few hours and travel about an hour each way then work for 12!

food for thought?

I thought about having a ride out and making a day of it but, really I don't have the time. I'll just have to pay for it doing. I'm going to make sure it always gets serviced by a Yamaha dealer.

I never thought about phoning different dealers and haggling, playing them off against each other. It was a spur of the moment thing me buying it and I suppose it doesn't matter now, I am more than happy with my bike. When I buy another new bike I will plan it out and organise myself a lot better.

Grouchie, the most you should pay for the first service is oil and oil filter change. About 40 quid. If the local dealer isn't going to look after you, why give them your cash?

If they are arsey because you brought from a cheaper dealer then that is their problem. They will probably earn more profit in servicing your bike over a few years than they would have done selling you a new bike. The customer is king and it is about time that companies recognised this. I haggle for loads of stuff. Even though the FZ was heavily discounted I still got a deal on the price for the bike and a new lid. Phone up Yamaha customer services and see what the deal is with the first service being done at a different main dealer.

• Like 1

I would certainly consider traveling the 100 odd miles (round trip) for a free service. Dunno how much you're earning, but at min wage that 80 quid is over 12 hours work - before tax!

I would much rather hang around the shitest place for a few hours and travel about an hour each way then work for 12!

food for thought?

By the time I'd taken a day off work and fucked about finding the place using A roads it wouldn't be worth the hassle and it would mean a loss taking the day off work.

Grouchie, the most you should pay for the first service is oil and oil filter change. About 40 quid. If the local dealer isn't going to look after you, why give them your cash?

If they are arsey because you brought from a cheaper dealer then that is their problem. They will probably earn more profit in servicing your bike over a few years than they would have done selling you a new bike. The customer is king and it is about time that companies recognised this. I haggle for loads of stuff. Even though the FZ was heavily discounted I still got a deal on the price for the bike and a new lid. Phone up Yamaha customer services and see what the deal is with the first service being done at a different main dealer.

I want to make sure the first service especially is done by a Yamaha dealer otherwise the bike will lose value. The first service is free only at the dealer you bought it from.

Its going to lose value anyway.

Riding it away cost you a small fortune, dont forget on a new bike you paid the vat. So the top possible value of your bike is already down 17.5per cent.

You can chop another 15 off for it being second hand. Add a few bob more cos everybody wants a bargain.

End result when you rode away as the new owner, that experience cost you some 40per cent of your bikes value.

Now your worried about service. Trade descriptions mean you can use any competant garage without penalty (basically loss of warranty) why lash out for nothing..

Its going to lose value anyway.

Riding it away cost you a small fortune, dont forget on a new bike you paid the vat. So the top possible value of your bike is already down 17.5per cent.

You can chop another 15 off for it being second hand. Add a few bob more cos everybody wants a bargain.

End result when you rode away as the new owner, that experience cost you some 40per cent of your bikes value.

Now your worried about service. Trade descriptions mean you can use any competant garage without penalty (basically loss of warranty) why lash out for nothing..

20% now.

so long as you can prove it was done by a competant person with recommended fluids etc, have proof, then you should be ok as Cynic says

Yep groucho all you need is recipets to prove what and when it was done, i cant see why if the first service is just a oil change you couldn't video it for proff.

Things might be different here to there though,, first service here the shop is to go over the whole bike nut and bolt and check em so nothing is falling off or about to.and check the valve adjustment.

I have never run a bike more than 100 kms before droping the oil and filter new or rebuilt then run it like you would normaly. If after 100kms the rings haven't set in or there were to be any bearing problems then they should have shown up by then.

Think about it 1000rpm for 1 hour the piston has made 120000 strokes in the cylinder,4000 rpm and well just do the math if it was going to break it would have by now.

If you read your owner manual it should have a spot to fill in for a optional early 1st service,dump the crap oil out and put it on full synethetic oil it's worth every penny.

By prolonging the full revs IMO you are not setting the ring land/wear in the bore of the cylinder high. and possibly could have a top ring clip the edge that gets created in the cylinder when you do rev the crap outa it.